Microforged Conglomerate (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
A swarm of tiny robots who think as one.
Together, a Microforged Conglomerate thinks and acts as a single entity, with any emotions, goals, and personality quirks imbued in it by its creator. Being actually a number of discrete individuals, Microforged Conglomerates who aren't very focused on some particular task can often seem rather scatterbrained.
The Microforged Conglomerate is a collection of one hundred million flying constructs, each one only one cubic millimeter in volume, capable of individually changing color and reflectivity.
Many groups have vendettas against Microforged Conglomerates, out of fear for their insidious shapeshifting abilities.
Other groups accept the Microforged Conglomerates for what they are, and form alliances with them, to the satisfaction of both parties.
Microforged Conglomerates have personalities and alignments determined by their makers. It's conventional for Constructs to be a Lawful sort of thing, so those are often more common than Chaotic Microforged Conglomerates.
Microforged Conglomerates tend to thrive most readily in places that aren't buffeted by heavy winds or massive firestorms.
As Constructs, Microforged Conglomerates tend to worship mechanical or lawful deities. As collections of fine individuals, Microforged Conglomerates are also somewhat inclined to worship Bceilieod.
Common. Microforged Conglomerates speak by rubbing their individual members together, so they cannot disguise the odd nature of their voices.
Microforged Conglomerates are named by their creators. Some Microforged Conglomerate names include: Xymos, Unit B-387, Charles, The Consumer, First.
- -2 Strength, - Constitution, -2 Wisdom: Lacking leverage or large sensory mechanisms, in addition to being somewhat scatterbrained, Microforged Conglomerates aren't particularly strong or willful. As Constructs, they have no Constitution score.
- Construct (Swarm): Each Microforged Conglomerate is a swarm of one hundred million Fine Constructs. As such, they are immune to mind-affecting effects, poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, necromancy effects, critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, energy drain, effects that require a Fortitude save and can't affect objects, tripping, grappling, bull rushes, spells and effects that target a specific number of creatures, and weapon damage. Microforged Conglomerates take 50% extra damage from spells and effects that affect an area, and are susceptible to high winds just like any other Fine flying creature.
- Racial Hit Dice: A Microforged Conglomerate starts with six Construct Hit Dice, which give it 6d10 hit points, +4 Base Attack Bonus, +2 Fortitude, Reflex, and Will, and 18 + 9 × Intelligence modifier skill points. The class skills for a Microforged Conglomerate are: Concentration, Craft, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Hide, Move Silently, Open Lock, Search, and Sleight of Hand.
- Fine: As a Fine creature, a Microforged Conglomerate gains a +8 size bonus to Armor Class, a +8 size bonus on attack rolls, a –16 size penalty on grapple checks, and a +16 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are one-eight of those of a Medium character. Furthermore, as a fine creature, a Microforged Conglomerate has a default space of 1/2 of a foot and 0 feet of reach.
- Microforged Conglomerate base land speed is 5 feet: Microforged Conglomerates who move along the ground still prefer to use their 20 foot Perfect fly speed.
- Darkvision: A 60 can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a Microforged Conglomerate can function just fine with no light at all.
- Low-Light Vision: A microforged conglomerate can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- A lack of proper eyes or ears gives the Microforged Conglomerate a -4 penalty to Spot, Listen, and Sense Motive checks.
- Swarm Attack: At the end of each of the Microforged Conglomerate's turns, it can deal 2d6 + Strength modifier points of slashing damage to any creature whose space it occupies. This Swarm Attack can be enchanted.
- Distraction (Ex): Any living creature vulnerable to the Microforged Conglomerate's Swarm Attack that begins its turn with a swarm in its square is nauseated for 1 round; a Fortitude save (DC 10 + half character level + Charisma modifier) negates the effect. Spellcasting or concentrating on spells within the area of a swarm requires a Concentration check (DC 20 + spell level). Using skills that involve patience and concentration requires a DC 20 Concentration check.
- Imitate (Ex): By rearranging and recoloring itself as a full-round action, the Microforged Conglomerate can change its appearance to that of any creature or object of Medium, Large, or Huge size, although it loses its Swarm Attack and Distraction abilities if it does so. Use a Disguise check at a -10 penalty to avoid being recognized as a swarm. While imitating a Medium creature, the Microforged Conglomerate is condensed sufficiently that it can hold and wear equipment, and has 5' space and reach. If the Microforged Conglomerate takes damage, it loses its shape and any equipment it was wielding in this way falls to the ground.
- Automatic Languages: Common.
- Bonus Languages: Any known by creator. If the creator's identity isn't important to the game, one can assume that this means "Any, except for secret languages".
- Favored Class: Any. Each Microforged Conglomerate favors one class, chosen at creation.
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 6
Crafting a Microforged Conglomerate
The actual machines take 1000 gp of raw materials and a DC 30 craft check to create. The crafter adds their Hide Modifier from size to this check.
Imbuing the machines with a collective intelligence, turning them into a creature takes 10000 gp of magical crafting ingredients, ten days, and Craft Construct.
|Effective Character Level||6 +|
|Favored Class||Any +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||-2 Strength +, - Constitution + and -2 Wisdom +|
|Summary||A swarm of tiny robots who think as one. +|
|Title||Microforged Conglomerate +|