Mismagius (3.5e Monster)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
|Size/Type:||Small Outsider (Incorporeal)|
|Hit Dice:||12d8+24 (78 hp)|
|Initiative:||+6 (+2 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)|
|Speed:||Fly 30 ft. (good)|
|Armor Class:||17 (+1 size, +2 dexterity, +4 deflection), touch 17, flat-footed 15|
|Attack:||Incorporeal touch +15 melee (1d6+4 negative energy)|
|Full Attack:||Incorporeal touch +15/+10/+5 melee (1d6+4 negative energy)|
|Space/Reach:||5 ft./5 ft.|
|Special Attacks:||Growl, Spell-like Abilities, Pain Split|
|Special Qualities:||Egg Move, Fear Eater, Chant|
|Saves:||Fort +11, Ref +11, Will +10|
|Abilities:||Str —, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 19|
|Skills:||Bluff +19, Intimidate +26, Sense Motive +16, Diplomacy +23, Spot +16, Hide +21, Tumble +17, Listen +16|
|Feats:||Luck of Heroes, Ability Focus (Growl), Sudden Ability Focus, Improved Initiative, Skill Focus (Intimidate)|
|Environment:||Dark, spooky places|
|Organization:||Solitary or tag-team|
|Alignment:||Neutral, though often pranksters|
|Advancement:||13-17 HD (Small), 18+ HD (Medium)|
Growl (Ex): Those who hear Mismagius' eerie growl become very unnerved, especially those who cannot see the source of it. All within 30 feet who can hear when Mismagius growls must make a DC 22 Will save against fear or become shaken for one minute. If already shaken, they become frightened. If already frightened, they panic. Successfully saving grants immunity to this ability for 24 hours. This is a [Normal] effect.
Pain Split (Su): Once per 5 rounds, as a standard action, Mismagius can focus on an enemy and share pain and injuries with them. Add their combined hit points together, then divide it evenly (if it is an odd number, Mismagius gets the extra point) between them. This can be negated with a DC 20 Fort save. Mismagius can, if it feels nice, use this to heal injured people. This is a [Psychic] effect.
Fear Eater (Ex): Mismagius eats fear for nourishment. It is immune to [Fear] effects, and can absorb such spells and effects for a day's supply of nutrition, and if it scares someone with an effect, it is also fed. It can spend a full round action actually absorbing the fear of another, removing the effect and getting enough nutrition for a week. It feels happy and bloated afterwards. This is a [Ghost] effect that can be used on [Normal] Pokemon at no penalty.
Chant (Su): Mismagius can chant, requiring a Swift action every turn to keep chanting. Doing so enables it to provide one of the following effects:
- A +3 Morale bonus to saving throws for all allies within 50 feet
- Immunity to Sonic effects to all allies within 50 feet
- Nightmare terrain centered on itself (DC 20)
- Fever dream affecting every foe within 30 feet (DC 20)
- Mildly distracting headaches Staggering foes within 30 feet (Will DC 20 negates)
Chanting is a [Psychic] effect. The Save DC is Charisma-based. If used in conjunction with Diplomacy or Perform: Oratory in a Contest, it earns an extra point.
Spell-like Abilities (Sp): At will: confusion, whelming burst, magic missile; 1/hour: perish song ([Sonic] effect, 3-round delayed wail of the banshee), missile storm, overwhelm. Caster level equals hit dice, and the Save DCs are 10 + Spell Level + Mismagius’s Charisma modifier. The Spell-Like Abilities are [Psychic] effects. In a Contest, if Perish Song is used in the first Round, everyone else loses a point in the final Round.
- The sample Mismagius has a caster level of 12 and save DC of 14 + spell level.
Egg Move: Mismagius retains the power it had as a Misdreavus:
- Ominous Wind (Su): A gust of eerie wind is summoned and sent out, covering two 5' squares per hit die (12 for the sample Mismagius). It must start adjacent to Mismagius, and the squares must be connected as a single area. All in the area take Cold damage equal to 3d6 + the Mismagius's hit dice, double if they have the [Psionic] subtype. A successful Fortitude save (DC 22, Charisma-based) halves this damage. Additionally, all of Mismagius's ability scores gain a +1 enhancement bonus for one minute. Multiple uses of the ability will increase the bonus by +1 each time, to a maximum of +6. Ominous Wind may not be used two turns in a row. This is a [Ghost] effect. In a Contest, it grants a +2 Bonus on the following Round.
- Bestow Curse (Sp) at will. This is a [Ghost] effect that affects [Normal] Pokemon without penalty.
- Shriek (Su): the range of Growl doubles, and the DC increases by +2. It is still a [Normal] effect.
Additional Hit Dice: Every hit die, increase Charisma by 1. At 15 HD, it can cast Firestorm (Sp) once per hour. This is a [Fire] effect. All nonmagical items are also affected by this, taking full damage, so people typically end up without their berries. Or pants.
At 18 HD, it can use Hex (Su) at will: with a Standard Action, it can level a Hex upon a foe it can see. The foe must pass a Will Save (Charisma-based, with a +2 racial bonus) or suffer 4 nonlethal damage per hit die of Mismagius. If the foe is suffering from any affliction, such as being on fire, they suffer a -3 penalty on the Saving Throw and suffer double damage on a failed Save. This can be used once per minute. This is a [Ghost] effect. In a Contest, anybody who is suffering from some kind of penalty when Mismagius uses it loses one point.
At 20 HD, it gains additional Spell-Like Abilities: at will - Finger of Death, Nightmare Terrain, Eternal Slumber, Greater Shadow Evocation, Greater Shadow Conjuration; 1/hour - Wail of the Banshee, Power Word: Kill, Weird, Shades, Wish. The Illusions are all [Ghost] effects, as are Finger of Death and Wail of the Banshee. The rest are [Psychic] effects.
Note: if using Tome Feats, replace Luck of Heroes with Elusive Target, Ability Focus with Lightning Reflexes, Sudden Ability Focus with Iron Will, Improved Initiative with Danger Sense and Skill Focus with Mage Hunter.