Nephropid (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Uplifted by unknown magic a long time ago from common lobsters, nephropids have been given superior dexterity and intelligence, along with the ability to survive out of water for longer than ordinary lobsters. Why this was done is a mystery, both to the nephropids themselves and to the other races that they must deal with.
Nephropids are both territorial and hierarchical. This means that weaker nephropids try to avoid stronger ones whenever they can (and grovel in the sand whenever they can't). This often leads to nephropids being insular and unwelcoming of others. At the same time, not all nephropids are like this - more gregarious and outgoing examples of their species do exist.
An average nephropid is much like an average human - having a tendency towards all sorts of behaviour, but mostly concerned with practical survival. However, all nephropids value strength, as their society measures the worth of any individual by how strong they are compared to the other nephropids around them.
Nephropids look like very large lobsters - which is almost exactly what they are, growing to about the same length as a normal human's height. They have two large claws, and two smaller manipulator claws that they use much like humanoids would use their hands. While normal lobsters cannot perform delicate movements with their manipulator claws, nephropids can do everything with theirs that humanoids hands would be capable of. Their remaining six legs are used for walking, which a nephropid does slowly.
A nephropid is completely covered with a hard shell, which is made of the same material that their claws are. They have long antennae, which serve as their sense of smell, leading to their small eyes. Because nephropids prefer to live in murkier waters, they cannot see well in bright light - although they don't become nearly as blind as their lobster cousins.
A nephropid's tail is a powerful muscle, which the nephropid uses to propel itself through water. Although this is tiring, nephropids can travel much more quickly by swimming with their tails than by walking.
The nephropids' treatment of their neighbours is usually cordial, provided that they are not significantly weaker than them (in which case they become food) or significantly stronger than them (in which case they become a predator). Their relationship with surface races is far poorer, as they have a tendency to hunt nephropids for their meat and shells.
Most nephropids are neutral, but a few have tendencies towards lawful behaviour.
A nephropid is most comfortable underwater, amid rocks, allowing them to hide from their enemies and the sun. Nephropids often live in underwater cities built from mud, rocks and occasionally coral, but just as many nephropids live outside of such places. Being sea-dwelling creatures, lobsters avoid freshwater, but can tolerate it for a while (a bit like how humans can tolerate the desert).
Nephropids worship a range of aquatic deities, but also have their own. This deity, believed to be their progenitor, is named Nephris, and is believed by them to be the perfect example of their kind. As nephropids value strength, Nephris also values strength, and is claimed by the nephropids to be the strongest possible one of them.
All nephropids speak Aquatic, and those who regularly interact with non-aquatic races speak Common as well, although they find it difficult. Few nephropids learn other languages, mostly out of lack of need, but aren't prevented from it in any way.
Nephropid names are usually too difficult to pronounce in any language other than Aquan. This often means they take on 'surface names', which are usually translations of their own Aquan names. These are often meant to indicate their strength and capability. Names such as Rockcrusher, Clawbreaker and Hardshell are common, and any name can be taken by any gender.
: Nephropids have no particular predispositions in terms of ability scores.
- Magical Beast (Aquatic): Nephropids are similar to their lobster cousins, but are significantly more dextrous and intelligent.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a Nephropid has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Nephropid base land speed is 20 feet. They also have a swim speed of 30ft.
- Low-Light Vision: A nephropid can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Breath-Holding (Ex): A nephropid can hold its breath for 1 hour per point of Constitution before it begins to suffocate.
- Claws (Ex): Nephropids have two claws, which are considered to be primary natural weapons. They deal 1d6 damage each. If a nephropid uses a weapon, it may make one claw attack as a secondary natural attack.
- Exoskeleton (Ex): Nephropids have a hard exoskeleton that protects them from blows. This is a +2 natural armour bonus.
- Hexapedal (Ex): A nephropid moves on six legs, which gives them a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground. They also have double the normal carrying capacity of a Medium creature of their Strength.
- Light Sensitivity (Ex): Nephropids are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.
- Automatic Languages: Aquan.
- Bonus Languages: Common, Undercommon, Giant, Elven.
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|30 years||60 years||90 years||+No max age years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5' 0"||+4d6||300 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
|Female||5' 0"||+4d6||300 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Any +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||None +|
|Rated By||Eiji-kun +|
|Rating||Rating Pending +|
|Summary||Uplifted by unknown magic a long time ago from common lobsters, nephropids have been given superior dexterity and intelligence, along with the ability to survive out of water for longer than ordinary lobsters. +|
|Type||Magical Beast +|