Oni (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Iron club-wielding demons from another world, Oni have left their mark upon the material plane. Reclusive and misanthropic, they dwell at the precipice of civilization. They used to guard the entrances to the hells of the earlier age, but as those places have been lost to the ages so have they fallen out of focus. Despite their bad reputation however, Oni are still useful in many ways. To guard places is in an Oni's blood, and many powerful individuals hire, recruit or bind them to do so on their behalf.
While mostly stringent and unyielding in their presumed duty, Oni come in many different types and temperaments, ranging from ill-tempered and sanguine to laconic and lazy.
Oni are usually large and muscular, although they are divided in many different subspecies, denoted by their coloration. The main types of Oni are red, blue, grey, green, purple and black. Most oni employ simple dress, usually limited to a simple loincloth or equally uncomplicated attire.
Red oni are almost ogre-like in appearance, and by far the largest and strongest of the oni. They channel a fearsome fury and are sanguine in temperament, always eager to fight or feast. They are associated with fire, and are capable of breathing it, as well as possessing hides tempered by flame. Red oni are chaotically inclined, and they stand up to 8 feet tall and weigh in at up to 750 pounds.
Blue oni are smaller and leaner in appearance than red oni, and have an elemental connection to water. They are very good swimmers and can take the shape of marine animals, as well as channel nature magic, with an affinity for water. They are immune to cold. Blue oni are neutrally inclined, stand roughly 6 to 7 feet in height and weigh in between 160 and 400 pounds.
Grey oni are close to red oni in size. They are a little bit weaker, but their toughness is legendary. Their skin is the hardest of all oni by far, making them very difficult to injure with physical might alone, and they are the most martially inclined of the oni as well. They have access to maneuver-like abilities and are immune to acid. Grey oni are lawfully inclined, stand roughly 6 to 6 and a half feet in height and weigh in at between 180 and 300 pounds.
Green oni are the leanest and most dextrous of oni, and are capable of melding into the background of any forestal area with supernatural ease. Their breath is poisonous and their spell-like abilities manipulate nature. They are skillful hunters that will chase their quarry obsessively wherever it goes. They are immune to electricity and poison. Green oni are evilly inclined, stand about 6 feet tall, and weigh in at roughly 160 pounds.
Purple oni are the smallest and fairest of oni, and are roughly human-sized. They wield powerful arcana and are immune to spells, but are rather weak physically and have no further immunities. They are chaotically-aligned and, stand roughly 5 and a half feet in height, and weigh in at 140 pounds.
Black oni are the most insidious and evil of the oni, and have a powerful connection to death magic and necromancy. Their spell-like abilities allow them to animate the and control the dead, and they are immune to negative energy, negative levels and death effects.
White oni are generally neutral and free flowing souls. They highly value training, meditation, and free spirit. They have a powerful connection to the air and wind currents, using the vast skies to summon ride-able clouds, run through the air, fire bullets of wind from their fingers, or protect themselves with a blowing winds. They are similarly agile and dextrous to green oni, although not as lean. They tend to stand between 5 and a half feet tall to 7 feet tall.
Volcanic areas (red), places near water (blue), mountains (grey), forests and jungles (green), dungeons (purple) gravesites and crypts (black), or clouds and pinnacles of the world (white).
Oni speak oni, a pidgen of Old Infernal and elemental languages. Oni tongue has many inflections and hidden meanings, and different species of oni often use different words and phrases to denote the same thing. Red oni speech has Ignan influence, blue oni speech has Aquan influence, grey oni speech has Terran influence, green oni speech has Sylvan influence, and purple and black oni speech has Draconic influences. Creatures that speak these corresponding languages can roughly understand an oni's speech. Creatures that speak oni can understand an oni regardless of what languages it loans from.
All subraces of oni possess the following general racial traits.
- +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom
- Outsider (Native): Oni have since gotten accustomed to the material plane, and now call it home.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, an oni has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Oni base land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision: A 60 can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a Oni can function just fine with no light at all.
- Weapon Proficiency: All oni are proficient with the tetsubo.
- Racial Hit Dice: An oni begins with six levels of outsider, which provide 6d8 Hit Dice, (8 + Int)×9 skill points, a base attack bonus of +6, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +5, Ref +5, and Will +5.
- Imbue Weapon (Su): An oni's magical essence flows into any weapon it wields, empowering it as though greater magic weapon has been cast on it (caster level 6 + twice character level, up to a maximum of 20)
- Automatic Languages: Common and Oni.
- Bonus Languages: Aquan, Auran, Draconic, Dwarven, Gnome, Ignan, Infernal, Sylvan, Terran.
- Favored Class: See individual types.
- Level Adjustment: +4
- Effective Character Level: 10.
Red Oni Traits
In addition to the general traits, red oni gain the following racial traits.
- +8 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence. These ability score modifications stack with oni general traits.
- +6 natural armor.
- Powerful Build: A red oni's physical stature lets it function in many ways as if it were one size category larger. Whenever it is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), it is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to it. It is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect you. It can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, it retains the space and reach of a Medium creature.
- Fast healing 5.
- Fire Breath (Su): A red oni can unleash a breath of fire in a 30 foot cone, dealing 6d6 fire damage plus an additional 1d6 per class level of the red oni to all those caught inside (Reflex half). The save DC is Constitution based, with a +2 racial bonus.
- Immunity to fire.
- Spell-Like Abilities: 3/day—bull's strength, delayed blast fireball (effective level 3 + half class levels); 1/day—fire shield, weapon of impactSpC. Caster level equal to 6 + class levels.
- Automatic Languages: Ignan.
- Favored Class: Barbarian.
Blue Oni Traits
In addition to the general traits, blue oni gain the following racial traits.
- -2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom. These ability score modifications stack with oni general traits.
- +4 natural armor.
- Aquatic Shifter (Su): A blue oni can take the form of an aquatic creature three times per day. This functions as the wild shape ability of a 10th level druid. A blue oni with druid levels instead wild shapes in aquatic forms (and water elementals, if its effective level is high enough) as a druid of his druid level + 10. Blue oni cast spells with the Water descriptor at +4 caster level.
- Immunity to cold.
- Spells: A blue oni casts spells as a 6th level druid.
- Skills: Blue oni have a +4 racial bonus to Swim checks.
- Automatic Languages: Aquan.
- Favored Class: Druid.
Grey Oni Traits
In addition to the general traits, grey oni gain the following racial traits.
- +6 Constitution, +2 Intelligence. These ability score modifications stack with oni general traits.
- +8 natural armor.
- Bonus Feat: Overbear.
- Thick Skin (Ex): A grey oni takes only half damage from any physical attack. On top of that, it has damage reduction/- equal to 5 plus class levels. A grey oni's damage reduction is applied after any incoming damage is halved.
- Immunity to acid.
- Maneuver-Like Abilities: A grey oni possesses several unique maneuver-like abilities. It may choose to spend one round to recover an expended maneuver. During this recovery round it may make only a single move action (with or without an attack action), or a full attack. To use these maneuvers, a grey oni must wield a tetsubo. Associated save DCs are Intelligence-based, and include a +2 racial bonus.
- Ground Pound: The grey oni swings its tetsubo around and roughly connects with the ground at his feet, dealing weapon damage and rendering prone every creature or object within 15 feet (Reflex negates falling prone and halves damage), and creates an earthquake effect in a 15-foot-radius burst centered around it. Unlike a real earthquake, the cracks do not fuse shut, and those caught between them are not in danger of being crushed to death.
- Mold Rock: Using nothing but its skill with the tetsubo, the grey oni tempers and coaxes rock with every crushing blow of its weapon. It may emulate a stone shape effect, with a caster level equal to its initiator level.
- Stone Hail: The grey oni shatters the rocky ground at his feet, launching a hail of sharp rock fragments in a 30 foot cone, dealing 6d6 points of bludgeoning damage, plus 1d6 per class level (Reflex half).
- Maneuvers: A grey oni uses maneuvers as a 6th level warbladeToB.
- Automatic Languages: Terran.
- Favored Class: Fighter.
Green Oni Traits
In addition to the general traits, green oni gain the following racial traits.
- +6 Dexterity, +4 Wisdom. These ability score modifications stack with oni general traits.
- +4 natural armor.
- Immunity to electricity and poison.
- Foebane (Su): A green oni focuses its being on hunting a particular type of creature. This counts as two instances of a ranger's favored enemy class feature. On top of that, any favored enemy a green oni has, including the two from this ability, transfer the bane quality to all attacks against a creature belonging to one of its favored enemy types, granting a +1 bonus to attack rolls and +1d6 extra points of damage for every instance of favored enemy it has against that type of creature.
- Poisonous Breath (Ex): A green oni can breathe poisonous fumes in a 20-foot cone. Any creature caught in the area must make a Fortitude save or be poisoned. A green oni's poison has initial and secondary damage of 1d10 Dex, and the save DC is Constitution based, with a +2 racial bonus.
- Spell-Like Abilities: Constantly Active—pass without trace; at will—charm animal; 3/day—enrage animal; 1/day—find the path, greater invisibility, tree stride. Caster level equal to 6 + class levels.
- Skills: Green oni have a +4 racial bonus to Hide, Move Silently and Survival checks in forests, jungles and marches.
- Automatic Languages: Sylvan.
- Favored Class: Ranger.
Purple Oni Traits
In addition to the general traits, purple oni gain the following racial traits.
- -2 Strength, -2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +4 Charisma.
- +2 natural armor.
- Spell Immunity (Ex): A purple oni is immune to all spells and spell-like abilities that are subject to spell resistance.
- Spells: A purple oni casts spells as a 6th level sorcerer.
- Automatic Languages: Draconic.
- Favored Class: Sorcerer.
Black Oni Traits
In addition to the general traits, black oni gain the following racial traits.
- +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +4 Intelligence, +2 Charisma. These ability score modifications stack with oni general traits.
- +2 natural armor.
- Immunity to negative energy, negative levels, and death effects.
- Animate Weapon (Su): A black oni can let go of its weapon, causing it to animate as a +1 unholy animated weapon of the appropriate kind at will. The animated weapon is completely loyal to the black oni, and may be directed to attack certain creatures or perform certain actions within its power. The animated weapon's enhancement bonus increases by +1 for every 4 class levels the black oni has.
- Spell-Like Abilities: 3/day—desecrate, negative energy burst (like fireball, except 1d6/2 levels negative energy damage, harms living creatures and heals undead); 1/day—animate dead, fear. Caster level equal to 6 + class levels.
- Spells: A black oni casts spells as a 6th level wizard.
- Automatic Languages: Draconic.
- Favored Class: wizard.
White Oni Traits
In addition to the general traits, white oni gain the following racial traits.
- +6 Dexterity, +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, +2 Charisma, +2 Intelligence
These ability score modifiers stack with oni general traits.
- +4 Natural Armor
- It can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, it retains the space and reach of a Medium creature.
- Proficient with War Fans and exotic oriental weapons such as a Shaolin Chain, Tanto, or a tri-pointed double-bladed sword.
- Spell-Like Abilities:
- Gaseous Form
- Slow Fall (Infinitely)
- Summon Cloud: The white oni may summon a cloud of any color he/she chooses, and ride it. At CR 5, it may be from a fine cloud to a large cloud, and can carry weight as follows Small: 350 pounds, Medium: 600 pounds, Large: 1100 pounds, Huge: 2000 pounds, Gargantuan: 3000 Pounds, Colossal: 5000 pounds. Every 10 CR after 5 a white oni can advance to huge, gargantuan, and colossal respectively. At first, it has a flight speed of 90 feet, then 120, 150, and 180 with the size increases respectively. Every level beyond 180 and colossal, it can carry 100 more pounds and fly 10 more feet all with perfect maneuverability.. For a good example, think the Dragon Ball Z cloud.
- Windwalker: White oni get a +10 base land speed, and obtain fleet every 5 levels after CR 5.
- Cloud Walk: The white oni can, when it so chooses, to walk, run, sprint, crawl, dive, roll, or move across the ground in any way, shape, or form silently. They can also do their standard movement speed through the air similarly to fly or a levitation spell, with perfect maneuverability up to 180 feet above the ground below them.
- Wind Bullets: The white oni releases sharp, defined bullet shaped packs of wind, then throws and sprays them at the enemy in a 60-foot line, dealing 6d6 piercing damage + 1d6 per class level.
- Wind Armor: The white oni shrouds itself in a formidable wind shield that covers its body. It gains a +2 bonus to ac, and a +4 if the attack is ranged, such as by a gun, bow, or other projectile weapons. These increase by +2 and +4 respectively at class level 20.
- Automatic Languages: Auran
- Favored Class: Monk
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|100 years||200 years||400 years||+Unlimited years|
|Effective Character Level||10 +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||4 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+4 Strength +, +2 Constitution + and +2 Wisdom +|
|Summary||Iron club-wielding demons from another world +|