Outsider (5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Subraces are not finished
If you feel this article does not deserve the incomplete notice and that no changes need to be made, please discuss the issues further on the talk page. See our Homebrew Content Requirements and our Deletion Policies for additional information.
"With limbs of shadow and eyes of stone, the Outsiders shall follow you home. With claws of metal and souls of lust, let there be no one you can trust." - Alienis, Numen of the Eldritch
Outsiders, in their true forms, are humanoid creatures of an almost eldritch nature. They are slender and frail, with gangly limbs and almost skeletal features. The chitin of an outsider is dark, and in both texture and shape, mimics rocks. Outsider chitin is different from figure to figure, varying from stone and mud tones to greens, blues and even rusts or dark golds. An Outsider's large, bulging eyes are a variety of different colours, and are often glassy, often being mistaken for gemstones. Their appearance is deceiving even when an Outsider is in its true form. They are hardy, with a natural agility not in keeping with their frail appearance.
Outsiders are noticeably agender in their true forms, their facial and bodily features neither male or female. Although this is the case, Outsiders seem to have a concept of gender and will assign themselves pronouns accordingly.
Outsiders are rumoured to be born of the rock, residing in caves and chasms long before the touch of man brought them to the light. When the different races began to explore downwards, however, Outsiders were forced to adapt. Some fled, using the concentration of arcane energy in the atmosphere to push themselves into new caves, where they continued to feast on ores and gemstones. The others hid among their new found friends, using their energy to warp and twist their forms to blend in the humans and dwarves that broke through their walls.
Outsiders live in groups known as "swarms", and sizes of swarms vary drastically, anywhere between a pair to hundreds of Outsiders at once. Outsiders living in the cities will often have smaller swarms, while uncivilized, cave-dwelling Outsiders will have much larger swarms. Roughly 1% of a kingdom's population will consist of Outsiders, both Doppelganger and Gemstone. Although usually Outsiders will live with their own kind, they have been known to join communities of other races as servant figures, as their simple mindset makes them hard workers.
Outsiders are known for their thieving nature, as not many of them have grasped the concept of ownership or law. Those that have, however, learn to bend, twist or even break the law, some becoming guards to abuse the system while others become members of cults and gangs to take what they want right from under the noses of the public.
Gemstone Outsiders aren't as common as their Doppelganger brothers in civilized spaces, but they are there. A pair of luminous eyes from a nearby bush might not be a cat or a raccoon, but an Outsider silently watching.
Gemstone Outsiders are often named after the gemstones their eyes mimic. Doppelganger Outsiders will give themselves names related to the race that they decide to disguise as.
Male Names: Male Outsiders often have harsh sounding gemstone names, such as Onyx, Topaz or Zircon.
Female Names: Female Outsiders are often referred to by softer gemstones, such as Opal, Ruby or Citrine.
- Creature Type. Humanoid
- Ability Score Increase.
- Age. Outsiders mature a little faster than humans, reaching adulthood at 15. On average, they live much longer than humans do, unable to die from old age.
- Alignment. Outsiders tend to be neutral, favouring individual choice over strict creed or law. They avoid unnecessary risk, and direct confrontation unless they feel the reward is worthy.
- Size. Your size is Medium.
- Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet feet.
- Arcane Upbringing. Being common with magic, an Outsider is resistant to tricks of an arcane nature. You have advantage on saving throws against Charm spells and cannot be put to sleep by magic. An Outsider does not need to sleep by traditional means, and instead they may enter a trance for 4 hours, which is equal to 8 hours of sleep for humans.
- Claws. You are proficient at using the deadly claws you have as weapons. They deal 1d4 slashing damage and are finesse weapons.
- Low Light Vision. A creature with low-light vision can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of shadowy illumination. An Outsider retains the ability to distinguish colour and detail under these conditions.
- Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and one other language of your choice.
Random Height and Weight
|Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|5′ 0″||+2d10||90 lb.||+4d8|
|Features||Age +, Alignment +, Size +, Speed +, Arcane Upbringing +, Claws +, Low Light Vision + and Languages +|
|Identifier||5e Race +|
|Is Race||true +|
|Summary||Creatures born from the rock that hide amongst the crowds and feast on gemstones. +|