Planetouched, Jukurche (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
The mischievous and sneaky offspring of bugbears and quasits.
Jukurches are wittier than their goblinoid brethren, but more mischievous than outright hostile. They prefer stealth and guile, and tend to avoid physical confrontation unless forced to.
Jukurches resemble goblins with reddish skin, small knobs on their forehead and a weak knobbed quasit tail. They tend to have a persistent smirk.
Jukurches prefer to wear little, easily disrobed clothes such as loin-cloths to make better use of their limited invisibility. Some even go buck naked. Those who join a magical profession will often learn the clothes swap cantrip, especially if they have a more refined fashion sense.
Bugbears, fearful that Jukurches might be the agents of the dreaded Skiggaret, dutifully raise the Jukurches born amongst them to avoid their ire of the bugbear boogeyman, but tend to cast them out once they come of age. The disciplined and strict hobgoblins see little use in these unorganized tricksters.
Among the goblinoids, Jukurches have the best relationship with goblins, with whom they share the same size. They do especially well with roving and undisciplined bands existing outside the greater tribal structures, who lacking shamans and witch-doctors will often welcome an Jukurche's magic tricks with open arms.
As outcasts within their own society Jukurches often live on the margins of humanoid society, where they are not welcome but neither hunted down to the extent that other goblinoids are - they are thought of more of a nuisance than a threat. When a man loses the key to his cellar door, or other such trivialities, and finds it in the last place he looks, he often blames an Jukurche for that mishap, an accusation that isn't always undeserved.
Being naturally mischievous, Jukurches tend strongly towards chaotic alignments, and also (but less strongly) towards evil. Occasionally an Jukurche outcast by his goblinoid home society, if he gets treated well by his new humanoid host society, will act as a force of good not dissimilar to a kabouter if he is so inclined, but those are already two "ifs".
Jukurches, only showing up in scattered small numbers, don't form fiefdoms or settlements of their own kind, but exist on the margins of humanoid or goblinoid society. They prefer living near people over living in the wilderness or inside dungeons, for who else could they play their tricks on and steal from for a living?
According to bugbear legends, the first Jukurches were created by Grankhul and/or Skiggaret, blessing nubile bugbear maidens with the seed of their quasit servants: For Grankhul to create the ideal bugbear scout who can walk unseen, for Skiggaret to remind the bugbears of his watchful eye by having agents walk among them who can induce fear. Jukurches were never considered to be very religious, and with both Grankhul and Skiggaret considered destroyed there are even fewer Jukurches who play heed to their creators.
Jukurches rooted in goblinoid society may pay lip service to Maglubiyet, but the war-like and well-ordered chief deity of goblins makes for a poor fit for the tricksters. If they pay heed to any deity, they tend to be wiley demon princes like Graz’zt.
Jukurches so rooted in humanoid society that they've got religion prefer trickster deities.
Jukurches speak Common, Goblin and Abyssal. During their youth some pick up the monstrous languages such as Gnoll common among the bugbears, but the humanoid languages such as Halfling are more popular, especially later in life when they are cast out, and when they provide extra verisimilitude for their humanoid alternate form disguises.
Same as their bugbear parents.
- -2 Strength, +2 Dexterity
- Outsider (Goblinoid, Native)
- Small: As a Small creature, a jukurche gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –4 size penalty on special attack (bull rushes, grapples, overruns, and trips) checks, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Jukurche base land speed is 20 feet.
- Darkvision: A jukurche can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a jukurche can function just fine with no light at all.
- +4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks
- Spell-like abilities (Sp): At-will: Hotfoot (but doesn't affect evil creatures) and Minor Animation. 1/day: Herald's CallSpC and Naked Invisibility. Caster level equal to character level. The save is Intelligence-based.
A jukurche of 6 or more hit dice can use Naked Invisibility at-will, and their Herald's CallSpC affects all creatures of less hit dice than the jukurche.
- Alternate Form (Su): A jukurche can assume another form at will as a standard action. Each jukurche can assume one or two forms from the following list: Small humanoid, tiny or small monstrous centipede, toad and riding dog.
A jukurche of 6 or more hit dice can also assume the form of a bat.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Goblin, Abyssal
- Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Giant, Gnoll, Gnome, Halfling, Orc
- Favored Class: Rogue
- Level Adjustment: +1
- Effective Character Level: 2
(Note: Jukurche can explicitely be Lesser Planetouched, as detailed in Player’s Guide to Faerun p.191)
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|20 years||30 years||40 years||+40+1d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||2'8 "||+2d4||30 lb.||× (x1) lb.|
|Female||2'6 "||+2d4||25 lb.||× (x1) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||2 +|
|Favored Class||Rogue +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||1 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||-2 Strength + and +2 Dexterity +|
|Subtype||Goblinoid, Native +|
|Summary||The mischievous and sneaky offspring of bugbears and quasits. +|
|Title||Planetouched, Jukurche +|