Sentient Illusion (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
An illusion which can think for itself and switch victims. Only exists for one creature at a time.
As rare quirks of a magical nature, the personality of a Sentient Illusion is not standardized in the slightest. Some theorize that Sentient Illusions take on the personality traits that the first person they appear to wishes they theirself had. Others suggest that Sentient Illusions are actually created when a person fails their Will save against a phantasmal killers, but succeeds on their Fortitude save, but this doesn't happen every time, so this suggestion's truthfulness has not yet been properly tested.
Sentient Illusions resemble what they want to, as they have no physical form whatsoever, and do not exist per se on any plane.
Sentient Illusions serve as a symbiote or parasite with whatever creature they're bothering at the moment.
Sentient Illusions come in all sorts of alignments.
Sentient Illusions live entirely in the thought processes of a mindless creature, and thus are capable of thriving in any place except Paradise, since Paradise is more fatal than death to all non-mindless creatures.
Some claim that Sentient Illusions are actually visions of the gods themselves. This may be true, and certainly some Sentient Illusions act that way.
Sentient Illusions know Draconic, the language of magic users.
Sentient Illusions have almost as many naming conventions as there are Sentient Illusions.
- No Strength, No Dexterity, No Constitution: As illusions, they have no bodies, and therefore have no physical attributes.
- None: Sentient Illusions have no type. They don't eat, drink, breathe, or sleep.
- Parasitic: Sentient Illusions basically exist as a status effect on their host. If the illusion's host ceases to be, so does the illusion. While Sentient Illusions don't have hit points, and can't be forced to make Fortitude or Reflex saves, they can still be targeted as a separate character (in the same location) for the purpose of Mind-Affecting effects. In addition, the Sentient Illusion is affected by all of the same Insight, Enhancement, Morale, and Competence bonuses and penalties as the host.
- Senses (Su): Sentient Illusions can perceive anything their host perceives. The host can alter what the Sentient Illusion perceives as a free action, but every minute beyond the first in a day when the host does this, the host must make a Concentration check or Will save (DC equal to the number of minutes they've chosen to alter the Sentient Illusion's perceptions today) or permanently lose 1 point of Wisdom. Treat this like persistent image, with duration problems listed above instead of 1 minute/level, that can also deceive special senses, for which the host can change the script as a free action.
- Appearance (Su): Sentient Illusions can alter what their host perceives. This can have a variety of effects, divided into the following types: Avatar, Obscuration, or Suggestion. Multiple types of Appearance change can be used in a given round.
- Avatar: The Sentient Illusion can appear as some sort of creature or object, not interfering with the creature's powers of observation, but allowing the Sentient Illusion to converse in a civilized fashion with its host.
- Obscuration: The Sentient Illusion removes or overwhelms some or all of the host's senses. This type of direct attack can be resisted, however. Each round, the host may make a Will save to completely remove the Sentient Illusion's ability to affect anything for 1 minute. The save DC is 10 + the Sentient Illusion's character level.
- Suggestion: The Sentient Illusion can subtly alter the host's perception to make a course of action seem particularly reasonable. This functions like the suggestion spell with a save DC equal to 10 + the Sentient Illusion's character level, but if the save is successful, the Sentient Illusion loses all ability to affect anything for 1 hour.
- External Influence (Su): The Sentient Illusion can use any ability as though it were the host itself, provided that the host provides any physical actions necessary. When doing so, the Sentient Illusion may choose to have things that would normally affect itself affect the host instead. For example, the Sentient Illusion can cast spells either by having the host wave its arms about and say the magic words, or by using Silent Still spells. Also, if the Sentient Illusion uses an ability like Wild Shape, it may choose to have the host transform.
- Disbelieve (Su): With one hour of deep meditation, the host can attempt to disbelieve the illusion by making a Will save with a DC equal to 10 + the Sentient Illusion's character level. If successful, the Sentient Illusion completely ceases to be. If unsuccessful, the Sentient Illusion gains complete control of the host for 1 hour.
- Swap Bodies (Sp): As an immediate action, when the host touches another non-mindless creature, the Sentient Illusion may attempt to transfer itself from the host to the other creature. Either or both the host and the creature may attempt Will saves to prevent this. The save DC is 10 + the Sentient Illusion's character level.
- Automatic Languages: Draconic.
- Bonus Languages: Any, including secret languages.
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +1
- Effective Character Level: 2
Some Sentient Illusions stay with a single character forever, lacking the ability to swap bodies entirely. Such Sentient Illusions are generally acquired through being the chosen one reborn, insomnia, or some sources that can cause insanity.
These Stationary Illusions lose the Swap Bodies (Sp) ability, in exchange for a bonus feat for which they meet the prerequisites.
Because playing a voice in a single character's head is a generally thankless job, PC Stationary Illusions should inhabit some other character they control, such as an animal companion, familiar, or cohort.
|Effective Character Level||2 +|
|Favored Class||Any +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||1 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||No Strength +, No Dexterity + and No Constitution +|
|Rated By||Franken Kesey +|
|Rating||Rating Pending +|
|Summary||An illusion which can think for itself and switch victims. Only exists for one creature at a time. +|
|Title||Sentient Illusion +|