Sheeple (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Sinister sheep-like humanoids who seek to enforce their will over all creation
"Baa'bbaababa Baaaa!" Sheeple warcry, roughly translates as "It is always a good day for my enemies to die!"
Sheeple (both plural and singular form) are grim, hostile, and stubborn. When the need for good relations are unavoidable, they tend to behave with the barest minimal amount of politeness necessary in a given situation to avoid conflict, while still trying to needle and insult others at every possibly opportunity. In conflict, they rarely bother with communication more complex than "DIE, Shorn One!"
Sheeple stand about 6-7' tall, and weigh about 200 lb, with females slightly smaller than males. They have a typical sheep-like head, albeit with a larger braincase, and they are covered with thick wool, which is usually white in color. They possess typical hooved hindlimbs, but their forelimbs are hybrids of humanoid hands and sheep hooves, with two "fingers" and a "thumb". Males have large, curled horns that grow larger with age, but have no combat ability.
"You will be led to judgement like lambs to slaughter - a simile whose existence, I might add, will not do your species any favors." Lord of the Wool.
Sheeple despise all other races, and seek to exterminate or conquer them all. Even the most generous sheeple regards humanoids as distinctly inferior, and only powerful outsiders, dragons, and aberrations are seen as near equals. Sheeple display particular hatred for those who raise or prey on sheep, their lesser brethren, which means that humans and canine/lupine creatures tend to bear the brunt of sheeple hostility. The fact that few races take the sheeple seriously until it is far too late only makes the sheeple angrier. Sheeple also bear a particular hatred for plaid dragons, which find both sheep and sheeple quite tasty.
Sheeple are very fond of actual sheep, and raise them like humans might raise monkeys or dogs. Sheeple druids and rangers always take sheep for their animal companions, and sheeple with the option to have a familiar usually opt to take the sorcerer/wizard animal companion variant to also have a sheep companion.
Sheeple tend towards evil over good, since they are so consumed by hatred for all other races.
Sheeple prefer temperate grasslands and pastures. In spite of their outlandish appearance, they are surprisingly good at fading from sight and often make temporary bases in humanoid cities, at least long enough to bring about its downfall.
Sheeple serve a mysterious entity known only as "The Black Ewe with a Trillion Lambs". This being takes the form of a sinister wool-like mass, from which tendrils of yarn ensnare its victims, and the sheeple claim that they were knitted into being by that terrible entity (laughing at their creation story incites violent reprisals). The ruler of the sheeple is the Black Ewe's main representative and consort, the immortal Lord of the Wool. The Black Ewe is neutral evil, and grants access to the Community, Darkness, Destruction, Evil, Madness, and Strength domains.
Sheeple speak Common and Baa, but they can learn any language. However, most sheeple consider other tongues to be filthy and obscene, and refuse to learn or speak them. Sheeple who have to deal with non-sheeple usually use tongues or similar abilities to translate from Common to other languages if they must communicate. Baa is considered a secret language endemic to the Sheeple, since it is considered a blasphemous act to translate Baa to another language in the presence of non-sheeple. Speakers of Baa can also communicate on a basic level with sheep, goats, and similar animals.
My name is Baa'b'baa'ba'Babababahh'ba'Ba! Not Baa'baa'baah!
Sheeple names are amazingly complex; elements of an individual sheeple's name include his or her family name, social position (Lord, duke, laborer, etc.), job title (magician, priest, warrior), nicknames (Fluffy, curly horns, amber eyes), and achievements (slayer of humans, shearer of dwarves, poisoner of halflings). In sheeple society, to omit or mispronounce a single syllable is a grave insult. Unfortunately, to anyone but a sheeple, the name sounds like nothing more than a succession of indistinguishable bleating sounds, which most non-sheeple (including mind flayers, dragons, and humanoid outsiders) cannot pronounce properly to save their life. Needless to say, an inability to speak Baa properly tends to incite disproportionate retribution.
- –2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom: Sheeple are tough and strong-willed, but lack physical grace.
- Humanoid (Sheeple).
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a sheeple has no special bonuses or penalties due to his size.
- Sheeple base land speed is 30 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A race can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Conformist (Ex): A sheeple can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as he is within 10 feet of some sort of crowd or herd (including massed enemies), a sheeple can hide himself from view in the open without having anything to actually hide behind. He cannot, however, hide in behind himself, and a whole squad of sheeple cannot hide behind themselves, although a large group can conceal certain members (an assassin for instance) in this way. If a sheeple later acquires the normal Hide in Plain Sight ability, this racial traits adds crowds to shadows (if gained from assassin) or natural terrain (if gained from ranger) as places to hide.
- GroupThink (Ex): All sheeple within 30 ft. of each other are in constant communication. If one is aware of a particular danger, they all are. If one in a group is not flatfooted, none of them are. No sheeple in a group is considered flanked unless all of them are.
- Spell-Like Abilities: 3/day—command. At 10th level, a sheeple may also use greater command 1/day. Caster level equal to HD; save DC 10 + sheeple's Cha modifier + spell level. Any creature which makes its save against these effects cannot be affected by that sheeple's command or greater command spell-like abilities for 24 hours.
- Hide is always a class skill.
- Automatic Language: Baa, Common.
- Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Celestial, Draconic, Farspeach, Infernal.
- Favored Class: Cleric, Fighter, or Psychic Warrior. Must be selected at first level.
- Level Adjustment: +1
- Effective Character Level: 2
Simple Racial Traits
These are racial traits for use with the simplified races rules.
- Humanoid (sheeple)
- Base land speed 30 ft.
- Combat - Mindguard: Once per minute you may cast command (DC 11 + your HD) as a spell-like ability. Should your target fail the save, this effect lasts for only a single round.
- Passive - Groupthink: If you are not surprised at the start of combat, none of the rest of your allies are and may act normally even in surprise rounds.
- Utility - Conformist: Hide in Plain Sight: You can use the hide skill even while being observed, though you still need some sort of cover or concealment as the standard skill dictates; sheeple may use crowds (including massed enemies) as concealment for this purpose only. Hide is always a class skill for you.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|20 years||80 years||320 years||+5d% years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||6' 0"||+2d6||180 lb.||× (+4d12) lb.|
|Female||5' 8"||+2d4||150 lb.||× (+4d10) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||2 +|
|Favored Class||Cleric +, Fighter + and Psychic Warrior +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||1 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||–2 Dexterity +, +2 Constitution + and +2 Wisdom +|
|Rated By||Eiji-kun +|
|Rating||Rating Pending +|
|Summary||Sinister sheep-like humanoids who seek to enforce their will over all creation +|