Tamastin (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
A friendly race of fey-like creatures from the Plane of Shadow
Tamastin are extremely curious about mortal societies and use these powers to blend in and study them. Although not malevolent, tamastin are often unscrupulous, sneaky, and shady (the pun was completely unintentional). Many have contacts in the criminal underworld and some even become members of mafia-like crime syndicates. Despite this, they are friendly unless angered or forced to defend themselves. Tamastin are fond of mortals and form strong bonds with those that befriend them. Anybody who harms their friends is in for a terrifying and often deadly experience.
The Tamastin are the same size as the gnomes. In their true forms, they have coal black skin, pointy ears, and a long barbed tail, but are often disguised. Some Tamastin have displayed a power of shadows and darkness
Tamastin are quite fond of mortals and are friendly to most of them. They get along very well with gnomes, humans, Halflings, Half-Elves, and elves. While they have no problem with dwarves, they can be a bit put off by their gruff manners. They are a bit leery of Half-Orcs, but are willing to give them a chance. They're not too fond of the more evil races. This fondness can be one-sided though as the Tamastin are misunderstood due to their mysterious origin and home plane. Tamastin often disguise themselves since many mortals are afraid of them if they reveal their true nature
Usually Chaotic Good or Chaotic Neutral. While Tamastin understand the need for law, they are quick to bend or even break the rules if they thing it will be helpful. Some Tamastin have even been known to have minor connections within the criminal underworld
As they are from the Plane of Shadow, they are not common enough in the Material Realm to have any defined territories
Varies. The Tamastin aren't particularly religious
Common, Tamastin, Sylvan
As varied as human names
- +2 Charisma, +2 Dexterity, -4 Constitution: Tamastin are lithe and agile. They are also friendly and personable, doing their best to make a good impression on others. However, they are not the hardiest of creatures
- Fey Type (Extraplanar Subtype, Shadow Subtype): Tamastin are fey creatures from the Plane of Shadow with an affinity for darkness
- Small: As a Small creature, a tamastin gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –4 size penalty on special attack (bull rushes, grapples, overruns, and trips) checks, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Tamastin base land speed is 20 feet.
- Darkvision: A tamastin can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a tamastin can function just fine with no light at all.
- Low-Light Vision (Ex): A Tamastin can see twice times as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions
- +4 Racial Bonus on Move Silently Checks
- +4 Racial Bonus on Hide Checks
- Alternate Form (Su): Because they are misunderstood, Tamastin who visit the Material Realm rarely, if ever, go around openly in their true form. To do so would likely incite a frightened mob. As such, they have developed some shapeshifting powers. Most often, they take on the form of a gnome, although sometimes the transformation is slightly imperfect and leaves the skin tone a little darker than normal.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Sylvan, Tamastin
- Bonus Languages: Any (except for secret languages, such as Druidic)
- Favored Class: Sorcerer, Rogue, Tamastin Shadowmancer
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|150 years||350 years||500 years||+4d% years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||3' 0"||+2d4||40 lb.||× (1) lb.|
|Female||2' 10"||+2d4||35 lb.||× (1) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Sorcerer +, Rogue + and Tamastin Shadowmancer +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Charisma +, +2 Dexterity + and -4 Constitution +|
|Subtype||Extraplanar Subtype, Shadow Subtype +|
|Summary||A friendly race of fey-like creatures from the Plane of Shadow +|
|Type||Fey Type +|