Tengu (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Playable bird-beasts. Tengu are an ancient and magical race of warriors, but some people say "a wizard did it".
As varied as humans or any other sentient race.
Tengu stand about as tall as humans. They have bird heads, and instead of arms they have wings. At the end of their wings they have prehensile fingers, but cannot use them and fly at the same time. As a result they tend to use their feet for tasks that require manipulation as much as their fingers. Their legs are mostly humanoid, but their feet are talons.
Since most tengu don't speak the common language, they tend to be seen by the other races as standoffish beasts that stick to themselves.
Tengu tend to live in forested hills, where they can get into trees and soar between them.
Tengu are heavily devoted to the worship of the air and travel. If there are any air deities in the campaign setting, they will worship them. Otherwise they will be devoted to the elemental plane of Air.
Adventuring Tengu will speak Common with other races but most Tengu only know their own language, Avian. It sounds like bird squawks, because that is ultimately what it is.
Most tengu have short forenames, and clan names that can be seen as consisting of two parts. The first part tends to be descriptive somehow (e.g. bright, gold, true), and the second part often refers to an element of avian anatomy (e.g. crest, talon, claw).
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a tengu has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Tengu base land speed is 30 feet.
- +2 to any stat, -2 Intelligence. With less contact with other races Tengu tend to have less accumulated knowledge, but it can be overcome.
- Mimicry (Ex): A tengu can perfectly mimic familiar sounds, voices, and accents. This ability does not enable the tengu to speak languages it can’t normally speak. To duplicate a specific individual’s voice, a tengu makes a Bluff check; a listener familiar with the voice being imitated must succeed on an opposed Sense Motive check to discern that the voice isn’t genuine.
- Wing-Aided Movement (Ex): Tengu can use their wings to help with movement even if they can't fly yet. The extra lift from her wings gives a tengu a +10 racial bonus on Jump checks.
- Gliding (Ex): A tengu can use her wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Tengu glide at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). Even if a tengu's maneuverability improves, she can't hover while gliding. A tengu can't glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If a tengu becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, her wings naturally unfurl and powerful ligaments stiffen the wings. The tengu descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.
- Flight (Ex): When a tengu reaches 5 Hit Dice, she becomes able to fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). A tengu can't fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted. Tengu can safely fly for a number of rounds equal to their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). They can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then they're fatigued at the end of the flight. Tengu are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because tengu can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, they can remain aloft for extended periods (even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued).
When they reach 10 Hit Dice, tengu have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. They can fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running.
- Automatic Languages: Avian. Tengu PCs also automatically know Common.
- Bonus Languages: Any
- Favored Class: Cleric, Fighter
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
Back to Main Page → 3.5e Homebrew → Races
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Cleric + and Fighter +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||None +|
|Summary||Playable bird-beasts. +|