Azazel (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Azazel, or more formally the "Children of Azazel", are the descendants of a powerful devil who once waged war with a great empire in the material plane. Azazel, the devil, fell in love with a mortal woman, whose name is lost to time, and together they had many children. He was eventually defeated and banished into a remote area in the Nine Hells with a powerful curse holding him there indefinitely. Despite the curse, he can sometimes breach his prison because he is a master with spatial magic: the boundaries between planes are like walking from one room to another for him.
The half-devil children carried Azazel's mastery over spatial magic and when they were abandoned on the material plane after his defeat, they managed to find lives leading human cults that still held loyalty to Azazel, the devil. Over time, their devil blood diluted, they became a new race of humanoids with devil ancestry: much like Tieflings, but with specific traits that set them apart.
Azazel, as a people, are incredibly passionate. They feel anger very strongly, but can equally love strongly. These tendencies can lead them to be very dark and twisted, but they can also lead them to be very generous and compassionate. Their passion leads them to have a short attention span, typically, and a need for action. They love sport for this reason and to some degree are a bit more prone to joining wars too.
Azazel have obvious devilish traits, despite their generally humanoid stature.
- They have indigo blue skin, with dark blue blood running underneath.
- Their eyes are a dull glowing yellow, with black irises and pupils.
- Each hand and foot has 3 digits, this fingers and toes being more elongated than a human's and tipped with a dark black, slightly sharp fingernail.
- They have a smooth, thin, prehensile tail, tipped with a small barb.
Yes, they are based (mostly, but not completely) on Nightcrawler from X-Men.
Generally, Azazel are too few in number in any one area to be considered anything more than a sub-population of another empire. Their reproduction takes so long and their passion can often enough translate directly to recklessness, which culls their numbers over time. A large population of Azazel is when they number around 2,500. It's enough that there are some large towns with predominantly (or, rarely, exclusively) their species, but most of the time, they are a sub-population and they don't have any known sovereign lands of their own.
They are generally mistrusted by other races, but generally, they have been in an area living alongside a local population long enough that they don't get outright driven out of town. Many places that don't have any members of this race in their population can be outright hateful of them. Their devil ancestry coupled by exaggerated stories (in most cases) of them teleporting through walls has ignorant members meet them with hostility.
Most races that actually know them don't see them as bad or harmful, necessarily, but instead just generally reckless. Which is pretty much the case. To an outside observer their recklessness can be seen as stupidity, which to some degree it is. They don't always carefully consider what they do and sometimes that is very stupid. This perception of their race sometimes is an advantage because their actual intellect is the same as any human and seeming dumb can give opportunities.
Azazel don't have any known lands of their own. They tend to like colder climates, but, like humans, they can live pretty much anywhere.
Azazel tend to worship deities local to their human culture. They have integrated into human societies so much that they have lost their own history.
Some Azazel understand their lineage and worship Azazel, the devil. These cults strive to break his curse, hoping for power and wealth when he is freed.
Azazel speak Common. They don't have a language of their own, but it is typical for them to study Infernal to read books their ancestors wrote.
Azazel take human names, local to their culture.
- Outsider (Native): Native outsiders eat, breathe, and sleep, and can be resurrected normally, unlike normal outsiders.
- The Cheese Stands Alone: Azazel will take no part in Alter Self cheese or anything of that nature. Also giving every martial weapon proficiency is dumb, so members of this race don't get that racial feature.
- Darkvision (Ex): Azazel have darkvision out to 60 ft.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, an Azazel has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Azazel base land speed is 30 feet.
- Bamf! (Su): Azazel have an innate knack for short-range teleportation. They have a maximum number of teleportation charges equal to 1/2 their HD (round up). Each round they do not use the Bamf! ability, they replenish 1 teleportation charge.
- At 1 HD, Azazel can use a teleportation charge, as a swift action, to gain the effects of Lesser Bamf for one round with a caster level equal to their HD / 2 (round up). They can spend additional teleportation charges in place of duration reducing effects for Lesser Bamf to replicate those effects.
- At 11th level, Azazel gain the effects of Bamf instead and can also spend teleportation points to replicate its duration reduction effects.
- At 21st level, Azazel gain the effects of Greater Bamf instead and can also spend teleportation points to replicate its duration reduction effects.
- Prehensile Tail (Ex): Azazel have a prehensile tail, which gives them a +2 bonus on balance checks, and the general ability to use it to hang onto things leaving their hands free or carry things not requiring a great amount of finesse. They can't wield weapons with it and the tail isn't strong enough to be an effective weapon.
- Automatic Languages: Common
- Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages such as Druidic).
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|70 years||110 years||160 years||+6d10 years|
|Sex||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 10"||+2d10||120 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||4' 5"||+2d10||85 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|