Bear Genasi (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Furry native outsiders, here to spread goodness, eat porridge and honey, and prevent forest fires.
Descended from ursine outsiders native to the Beastlands who have mixed their blood with mortals, Bear Genasi show a passionate drive to protect the natural world.
Most of the time, Bear Genasi are laid-back, preferring to spend their days snoozing, snacking and relaxing, laying in the warm sunlight, scratching up against trees, and rolling around in the grass and leaves. They're generally very patient creatures, being good at gardening and contemplation, as well as nurturing others.
Standing around 7 and a half feet tall and weighing a little over 200 pounds, Bear Genasi look like large humanoids with digitigrade legs, clawed hands and feet, thick fur and a bearlike head. Anthropomorphic bears, essentially. Their fur comes in shades of brown, black and white, each hair often tipped in metallic silver, copper or gold coloration, giving them a somewhat shimmering appearance as they move. Their eyes are usually gentle, human colors, like blue, green, hazel or brown, but can occasionally be amber, black, coppery orange, silvery blue or green-flecked metallic gold. Their hands and feet have thick pads of skin, and they have thick claws tipping each digit, allowing them to climb or grapple with ease.
Bear Genasi tend to get along with anyone who isn't cruel, and will often give anyone of a sinister race, like Tieflings or Drow, a warmer welcome than most, ignoring their heritage enough to treat them kindly, as equals, but not enough to let their guard down. Really, if you're not scared of bears, you'll get along with them. If you somehow find a way not to get along with them, you'll quickly become scared of bears. Simple as that.
Being creatures related to the Beastlands, Bear Genasi naturally fall into alignments of Chaotic Good or Neutral Good. However, some bears just don't care at all, so there are of course Bear Genasi who follow paths of darkness instead.
Bear Genasi can generally be found anywhere wood elves can, lazily guarding the deep woods and rocky mountains they call home.
Being minorly celestial and deeply in tune with nature, Bear Genasi tend to follow Good deities, though most prefer to follow a Druidic code without serving a specific deity. Regardless, a non-Evil Bear Genasi will never follow a deity of Fire, and only the evil will ever talk about the reason why. Most just assume it's because fur and fire don't mix, and leave it at that. Because of these leanings, in the Forgotten Realms, most Bear Genasi follow Mielikki.
Bear Genasi tend to speak Common mostly, though all of them are taught Celestial. Often they will mix words from Celestial and Sylvan into their Common, which can confuse listeners like a thick accent.
Most Bear Genasi names consist of two words strung together, and usually relating to nature, such as Lionheart, Oakbeard, Applebloom, Thistletooth, or Puffhuffle.
- +2 Strength, -2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma: Bear Genasi are big and strong, but not very agile due to their size. And who wouldn't be easily convinced by such a huggable-yet-intimidating mountain of fluff and natural weapons?
- Outsider (Native): Descendants of ursine outsiders from the Beastlands, Bear Genasi, like other Planetouched, live in a constant duality between their otherworldly and Prime Material bloodlines.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a bear genasi has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Bear Genasi base land speed is 30 feet. Special: Bear Genasi do not have their movement speed slowed by armor, and when they Run or Charge, their base movement speed temporarily increases to 50ft.
- Low-Light Vision: A bear genasi can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Beastlands Heritage (Ex): Bear Genasi possess a number of natural offense, defense and utility options; They possess a +2 Natural Armor bonus to AC, two Claw attacks that deal 1d4 damage, and a Bite attack that deals 1d6 damage. Bear Genasi also possess Scent.
- Masterpiece of Muscle (Ex): Bear Genasi always treat Diplomacy, Intimidate, Climb, Jump, Swim, and Survival as class skills. They may also use their Strength in place of Charisma, if it is higher, for their Diplomacy and Intimidate skills.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Celestial
- Bonus Languages: Any, except secret
- Favored Class: Firefighter or Ranger
- Level Adjustment: +1
- Effective Character Level: 2
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|50 years||125 years||200 years||+5d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||7'||+/- 2d10"||200 lb.||+/- 3d12 lbs.|
|Female||7'||+/- 2d10"||200 lb.||+/- 3d12 lbs.|
|Mark of the Caring Ursine||You were just born more caring than other bears.||1st level only, Bear Genasi|
|Ursine Mark-Caster||Use that magic mark on your belly to cast spells instead of hand-waving and gibberish.||Bear Genasi, Mark of the Caring Ursine, Caster/Invoker Level 1st, Spellcraft 6 ranks|
|Effective Character Level||2 +|
|Favored Class||Firefighter + and Ranger +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||1 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Strength +, -2 Dexterity + and +2 Charisma +|
|Summary||Furry native outsiders, here to spread goodness, eat porridge and honey, and prevent forest fires. +|
|Title||Bear Genasi +|