Bender of Fire (3.5e Class)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Benders of Fire conjure fire and electricity to slay their enemies, deflect blows, and sometimes even fly. 20 1 Moderate Poor Good Poor Alternate Magic Full
Lawful Good Lawful Neutral Lawful Evil Neutral Good Neutral Neutral Evil Chaotic Good Chaotic Neutral Chaotic Evil
Bender of Fire
Benders of Fire are people who have control over the element of fire. They can use it for a variety of purposes, from heating tea to burning down villages.
Making a Bender of Fire
Benders of Fire are rapid and violent, with a capacity for plenty of collateral damage, although it is definitely possible to bend fire without risking damage to one's teammates.
Abilities: Strength is the ability score Benders of Fire use for saves. Dexterity and Constitution are quite important abilities for a Bender of Fire.
Races: Races that live in airless or non-flammable environments tend to have fewer Benders of Fire than other races do.
Starting Gold: 4d4×10 gp (100 gp).
|Saving Throws||Special||Bends Known|
|1st||+0||+0||+2||+0||Ecliptic Failure, Powerful Comet, Basic Bends||1||0|
Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
All of the following are class features of the Bender of Fire.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The Bender of Fire is proficient with light and medium armor, and simple weapons.
Saving Throws: The DC for any saving throw for the Bender of Fire's abilities are equal to 10 + the Bender of Fire's Strength modifier + half the Bender of Fire's class level.
Ecliptic Failure: The Bender of Fire loses all class abilities during an eclipse.
Powerful Comet: The Bender of Fire's Bending level is doubled while a particular comet that passes by every 100 years is passing by.
Basic Bends: The Bender of Fire can heat and ignite objects with a touch.
Bending: The Bender of Fire gains a variety of abilities. All Bending abilities require somatic components (broad arm and leg movements), unless stated otherwise. The Bender of Fire's Bending level is equal to his Bender of Fire level. Bending level stacks from multiple sources. If an area of effect is specified, the effective Bending level for determining that area may be reduced as desired. All abilities of the Bender of Fire create light like a torch when active.
Trap Save: Some Bends allow a trap save to resist. A trap save is just like a normal save, but creatures with more than half health automatically succeed.
- Fire Bolt: The Bender of Fire can create bolts of fire to make ranged touch attacks that deal 1d6 points of fire damage (+1d4 per three Bending levels), with Medium range. This is an attack action.
- Flame Spike: The Bender of Fire can create spikes of fire to make ranged attacks that deal 1d6 points of fire damage (+1d4 per three Bending levels), with a range increment of 120'. This is an attack action.
- Fire Breath: The Bender of Fire can make a breath attack that deals 1d6 points of fire damage (+1d6 per two Bending levels), hitting everyone within a 15' cone (+5' per Bending level). A Reflex save for half damage is permitted.
- Fire Burst: The Bender of Fire can burst fire against everyone within 10' (+5' per Bending level). This burst deals 1d6 points of fire damage (+1d6 per two Bending levels), with a Reflex save for half damage.
- Block (passive): The Bender of Fire gets a +2 shield bonus to AC (with an additional +1 per four Bending levels).
- Redirect Lightning: When hit with an attack with electricity damage as its only damage type, the Bender of Fire may elect to use "Redirect Lightning" and not take that damage. During his next turn, he must spend a standard action to release the electricity damage at a target within Medium range. If he does, the target takes that damage (Reflex half). If he does not release the electricity damage, he takes twice that much damage.
- Kinetic Fire (passive): Anybody dealt fire damage by one of the Bender of Fire's bends may be pushed 5'. If a Reflex save was permitted, this only occurs on a failed Reflex save. A Reflex Trap Save is permitted for the target to resist being pushed into a dangerous spot, such as in a fire, falling off a cliff, or in a cage. A successful Trap Save stops the target at the edge of that spot.
- Fire Whip: The Bender of Fire can create whips out of fire as a standard action. These function like Whips, except that they deal 1d10 points of fire damage (+1d8 per three Bending levels) instead of 1d3 points of nonlethal damage, and cannot be dropped. Maintaining a Fire Whip is a swift action.
- Charge Attack: The Bender of Fire can gather his energies as a full-round action. Next round, he gets an insight bonus to his Bending level equal to his Bender of Fire level.
- Control Fire: The Bender of Fire can control unbent fires within Medium range as a free action. He can extinguish or reduce such fires. In addition, he can make any such fires burn twice as hot, dealing twice as much damage. He also gains Resist Fire 5.
- Flame Daggers: The Bender of Fire's melee touch attacks deal 1d8 points of fire damage (+1d6 per three Bending levels). Toggling this ability is a swift action.
- Heat Vision (passive): The Bender of Fire can sense heat. This functions as Blindsense with a range of 10' per Bending level.
- Electric Puppet: The Bender of Fire can only learn this bend if he knows "Lightning Bolt". Whenever an opponent within Medium range does something that would provoke an AoO, and there is a dead body within reach of them, the Bender of Fire may use an AoO to have the dead body take an AoO against the opponent using the Bender of Fire's attack roll and its own natural, unarmed, or melee weapon.
- Guaranteed Ignition (passive): Anything the Bender of Fire burns catches on fire. Specifically, if the Bender of Fire successfully deals fire damage to anything or anyone with one of his Bends, that thing or person catches on fire, taking 1d6 points of fire damage per round. A full-round action puts out all such flames in the user's space.
- Ignite Weapons (passive): You may choose to have any weapons you wield benefit from the "Flaming" enhancement.
- Blue Fire (passive): All damage dice for fire damage dealt by the Bender of Fire's bends are increased by one size.
- Rocket Engine: The Bender of Fire gains a 30' (+5' per three Bending levels) good fly speed. While flying, the Bender of Fire cannot use bends other than the "Fire Breath" bend, and deals 4d6 fire damage to targets in an adjacent square each round (reflex half).
- Lightning Bolt: The Bender of Fire can create bolts of lightning to make ranged touch attacks that deal 1d8 points of electricity damage (+1d6 per three Bending levels), with Long range. This is an attack action.
- Fire Wall: The Bender of Fire can create a wall of fire (which may be curved as desired) up to 5' in length per Bending level, and 15' per Bending level in height. Anything passing through the wall takes 1d6 points of fire damage (+1d6 per three Bending levels). Creating this wall is a standard action, and maintaining it is a swift action. The Bender of Fire can move the wall forwards or backwards up to 5' per Bending level as a standard action, although anything that would pass through it may choose to move with it to avoid taking damage. No character can take damage from the Fire Wall more than once per round.
- Combustion: The Bender of Fire can create blasts of fire as an attack action. These blasts have Long range and hit everything in a 20' spread for 1d6 points of fire damage per Bending level. A successful Reflex save results in half damage. If the Bender of Fire was hit with any critical hits within the last minute, the blast is centered on himself instead.
- Heat Mirage: The Bender of Fire can create illusions by manipulating heat. This functions as silent image that takes a swift action to maintain instead of a duration of "Concentration", and only has a range of Medium. Anything touching or inside the illusion takes 1 point of Fire damage per Bending level per round. This can also be used to cook food like an oven.
- Conjure Firebeast: The Bender of Fire can summon Elementals with the Fire subtype. The total combined CR of the Elementals summoned cannot be greater than his Bending level. Summoning an Elemental is a standard action with a range of Close.
- Intimidation Tactics: The Bender of Fire can rebuke elementals as a Cleric of his level.
- Magmatic Edge (passive): You may choose to have any weapons you wield ignore Armor, Natural Armor, and Shield Bonuses to AC that are provided by metal or crystal sources.
Bend Invention: Imaginative characters can invent new bends, with DM supervision. Keep in mind that it is difficult to manipulate fire that is beyond Close range.
|Allowed Alignments||Lawful Good +, Lawful Neutral +, Lawful Evil +, Neutral Good +, Neutral +, Neutral Evil +, Chaotic Good +, Chaotic Neutral + and Chaotic Evil +|
|Article Balance||High +|
|Base Attack Bonus Progression||Moderate +|
|Class Ability||Alternate Magic +|
|Class Ability Progression||Full +|
|Fortitude Save Progression||Poor +|
|Identifier||3.5e Class +|
|Minimum Level||1 +|
|Rated By||Zhenra-Khal +|
|Rating||Rating Pending +|
|Reflex Save Progression||Good +|
|Skill||Balance +, Bluff +, Climb +, Concentration +, Decipher Script +, Diplomacy +, Disguise +, Gather Information +, Hide +, Intimidate +, Jump +, Knowledge +, Listen +, Move Silently +, Perform +, Ride +, Sense Motive +, Sleight of Hand +, Spot + and Tumble +|
|Skill Points||4 +|
|Summary||Benders of Fire conjure fire and electricity to slay their enemies, deflect blows, and sometimes even fly. +|
|Title||Bender of Fire +|
|Will Save Progression||Poor +|