Bender of Water (3.5e Class)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
A telekinetic wielder of dihydrogen monoxide with power and versatility. 20 1 Moderate Poor Good Poor Alternate Magic Full
Lawful Good Lawful Neutral Lawful Evil Neutral Good Neutral Neutral Evil Chaotic Good Chaotic Neutral Chaotic Evil
Bender of Water
Those who bend water are the only benders who can heal people. Apart from that ability, Benders of Water have excellent offensive and defensive capabilities.
Making a Bender of Water
Benders of Water are capable ranged combatants and decent secondary healers.
Abilities: Dexterity is good for attack rolls, and Constitution is nice for health. Wisdom determines any saving throws that Benders of Water provide. That said, all ability scores are useful for being a character with ability outside of straight combat.
Races: Races with contact to water are much more likely to have members who bend water than races that live in arid desert environments.
Starting Gold: 3d4×10 gp (75).
Starting Age: As Sorcerer.
|Saving Throws||Special||Bends Known|
|1st||+0||+0||+2||+0||Lunar Influence, Basic Bends||1||0|
Class Skills (6 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
All of the following are class features of the Bender of Water.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Benders of Water are proficient with simple weapons.
Saving Throws: The DC for any saving throw for the Bender of Water's abilities are equal to 10 + the Bender of Water's Dexterity modifier + half the Bender of Water's class level.
Lunar Influence: The Bender of Water gains a +1 bonus to her Bending level at night, and an additional +2 bonus to Bending level if there is a full moon out at night.
Basic Bends (Su): The Bender of Water can lift 50 pounds of water per Bending level as a swift or move action. She can freeze or melt any water she is manipulating in this manner. Keeping this water in the air is a swift action. She can only manipulate water within Close range.
Bending (Su): The Bender of Water gains a variety of abilities. All Bending abilities require somatic components (broad arm and leg movements), unless stated otherwise; any bending ability which takes a Standard action or longer to use provokes an attack of opportunity, except for maintenance actions. The Bender of Water's Bending level is equal to her Bender of Water level. Bending level stacks from multiple sources.
Trap Save: Some Bends allow a trap save to resist. A trap save is just like a normal save, but creatures with more than half health automatically succeed.
- Water Whip: The Bender of Water can use water she has lifted to create a lashing tendril of water to swipe at an opponent. Treat this as a light weapon with reach which deals 1d10 (+1d6 per three Bending levels) points of slashing damage and has a 19-20/x2 critical. This is an attack action that requires at least a pound of water.
- Smash: The Bender of Water can use water she has lifted to make ranged attacks. Treat this as a bludgeoning weapon that deals 1d8 points of damage (+1d4 per three Bending levels) and has a 19-20/x2 critical, with a 50' range increment. Anyone hit with this attack is knocked backwards 5' per four Bending levels, -10' per size category above Medium, or +5' per size category smaller than Medium. This is an attack action that requires at least 50 pounds of water. If the target has more than half of its maximum hit points, it stops immediately before being pushed into a dangerous place, such as in a fire, falling off a cliff, or into a cage.
- Encase in Ice: This Bend can only be taken if the Bender of Water already knows "Smash". When the Bender of Water hits a target with a Smash attack that weighs at least 100 pounds (quadruple for every size category larger than Medium, halve for every size category smaller than Medium), she may immediately freeze that water into ice, encasing the target. If target fails a Reflex save, he becomes completely incapable of moving, although two consecutive successful Strength checks (DC 10 + Bender of Water's Wisdom modifier) as full round actions are sufficient to break free. This move may also be used whenever an enemy within 500' is completely enveloped in water for any reason. Encase in Ice cannot be used more than once per round. A Reflex Trap Save is permitted for the target to resist being encased in ice. A successful Trap Save leaves the target standing on one side of a block of ice (their choice of side).
- Ice Spikes: The Bender of Water can use ice she has lifted to make a ranged attack against everyone in a 60 foot cone. This attack deals 1d6 points of piercing damage (+1d4 per three Bending levels). This is a standard action that requires at least 10 pounds of water.
- Bubble: The Bender of Water can prevent any loose water from entering within close range (or a shorter distance, if desired). This can be initiated or maintained with a swift action. Forcefully thrown water can still enter within this bubble, although any damage or movement caused by that water is halved.
- Heal: The Bender of Water can use water to assist in a healing check. She can cure 1d6 hit points (+1 per Bending level) with a DC 20 Heal check. If she beats the check by 10 points or more, the target is also healed of 1 point of ability damage per three Bending levels. Each target cannot be healed in this way more than once per day. This is a full-round action that requires at least one pound of water.
- Ice Wall: The Bender of Water can turn the water she's levitating, and free water within 10' of its desired location, into a wall of ice at least 6 inches thick as an immediate action. Note that ice weighs 57 pounds per cubic foot, has 3 hp/inch of thickness, and hardness 12.
- Block (passive): The Bender of Water gets a +2 shield bonus to AC (with an additional +1 per four Bending levels) while levitating at least 20 pounds of water within her square.
- Fog: The Bender of Water can turn up to 25 pounds of water per Bending level within Close range into fog. 50 pounds of water becomes one 5' cube of fog. Fog prevents sight as obscuring mist.
- Tentacles: The Bender of Water shields her arms with tentacles of water that provide a +1 bonus to Grapple checks per Bending level. Maintaining these tentacles is a swift action, but creating them is a standard action that requires at least 25 pounds of water.
- Form of the Octopus: The Bender of Water surrounds herself with a ring of water from which sprout eight tentacles of water. This ring occupies every square adjacent to the Bender of Water with 5' and 10' reach, and can take up to eight attacks of opportunity per round with the Bender of Water's attack bonus. These attacks deal 1d8 points of bludgeoning damage (+1d6 per three Bending levels). Creating and maintaining this ring is a full-round action which requires at least 150 pounds of water.
- Water Movement (passive): The Bender of Water can move on the surface of the water at very high speeds, and can also move underwater without difficulty. The Bender of Water gains a 30 ft (+5 ft per bending level) swim speed which can be used while submerged or on the surface of the water. She also may move and attack normally while underwater, even with slashing weapons such as axes and swords or with bludgeoning weapons such as flails, hammers, and maces, provided that the weapon is wielded in the hand rather than hurled.
- Long Distance Bending (passive): The Bender of Water's bending techniques (including the basic bend) increase one range increment (for example, from Close range to Medium range).
- Ice Claws: The Bender of Water can sheathe her fingers in claws made of ice. Any unarmed attacks she makes with her hands deal 1d6 additional points of slashing damage (+1d6 points of cold damage per three Bending levels).
- Frost Breath: The Bender of Water can deal 1d8 points of cold damage (+1d6 per two Bending levels) to each target in a 10' (+5' per Bending level) cone. A reflex save is allowed for half damage. This is a standard action.
- Ice Projectile: When the Bender of Water throws a weapon, she may encase its handle in ice in order to have greater control over its path, and to accelerate it in flight. This gives it +1 to the attack roll, +1d6 to damage, and allows her to treat concealment as though it was 20 percentage points lower.
- Gather Water: The Bender of Water can obtain water from inanimate plants, sweat, her own blood (or the blood of those she touches), and the air. In general, 5 cubic feet of air can produce an eighth of a pound of water, and 5 cubic feet of plant matter can produce 2000 pounds of water, although most cubic feet with plant matter in them are less than completely full. People who are being drained of blood are entitled to a Fortitude save to resist. If they fail, they take damage proportional to the blood drained, such that if all their blood was drained, they die. A suitable wound is necessary for this process. This is an immediate action. A Will Trap Save is permitted for the target to resist having any blood drained from their body.
- Puppeteer: At night during a full moon, the Bender of Water can attempt to lift and otherwise manipulate characters with liquids inside them like water. People are entitled to a Will Trap Save each round to resist. A character who has successfully resisted this ability becomes immune to this ability for 1d4 rounds.
- Freeze Blood: The Bender of Water can only learn this ability if she already knows "Puppeteer". She may now force any character who she can currently manipulate with "Puppeteer" to make a Fortitude Trap Save. If they fail, they explode, dying instantly and dealing 1d6 points of cold damage per Bending level to each character within 10' (+5' per Bending level), with a Reflex save permitted for half damage. This is a full-round action that cannot be attempted more than once every 1d4+1 rounds.
- Blood Chi Block: The Bender of Water can only learn this ability if she already knows "Puppeteer". As a standard action, she can suppress the magical abilities of a touched target she can currently manipulate with "Puppeteer", denying them the ability to use any of the supernatural, spell-like, or psionic abilities they currently possess. If they gain new abilities through leveling up or some other method, those abilities can be used normally. Blood Chi Block lasts until removed, through the use of remove curse, or by being touched by a Bender of Energy who wishes to restore their powers.
- Bend Elemental: The Bender of Water can bend water, vines, or seaweed around herself to form a giant dangerous monster that must be destroyed before damage can be dealt to her. Treat this as an alternate form ability, although destroying her in the alternate form returns her to her normal form with an amount of nonlethal damage equal to the amount of damage the alternate form suffered. Monsters bent out of water as Water Elementals with HD equal to her Bending level. Treat monsters bent out of vines or seaweed as Tendriculosi without the Swallow Whole ability with HD equal to her Bending level.
- Tidal Wave: With a standard action, the Bender of Water can raise a swell of water with a height equal to her Bending level or less, and a length not greater than 10' per Bending level. She can then move that wave up to 5' per Bending level as a standard action. Targets hit by the wave must make a Fortitude save or be brought with it. A Reflex Trap Save is permitted for the target to resist being knocked into a dangerous spot, such as in a whirlpool, falling off a cliff, or in a cage. A successful Trap Save stops the target at the edge of that spot.
- Maelstrom: In a large body of water, the Bender of Water can create a gigantic whirlpool which sucks objects towards it and under the surface of the water. The Bender of Water can create a whirlpool which is 10ft wide at base, up to 5 ft per bending level wide at top, and up to 10 ft per bending level deep. The Maelstrom pulls objects under the surface of the water and shoots them out at its' base. The Maelstrom cannot be programmed and lasts until the Bender of Water stops concentrating on it. Creating and maintaining a Maelstrom is a full-round action.
- Distortion Effect: The Bender of Water can bend water around herself in layers, using refraction to make herself invisible. Activating this is a full round action that requires 50 pounds of water (quadruple for every size category larger than Medium, and half for every size category smaller than medium). It takes a move action to sustain this ability. While she is using this ability, the Bender of Water and all of her equipment are invisible.
- Sense Water (passive): The Bender of Water can sense and pinpoint all water within Close range (Medium if she has "Long Distance Bending"). Among other things, this lets her automatically notice living creatures (or other beings that contain water) and ignore concealment against them. If it's raining or underwater, she can ignore movement penalties for being blind.
Bend Invention: Imaginative characters can invent new bends, with DM supervision. Keep in mind that it is difficult to manipulate water that is beyond close range, and controlling water within people can only be done during the full moon at night.
|Allowed Alignments||Lawful Good +, Lawful Neutral +, Lawful Evil +, Neutral Good +, Neutral +, Neutral Evil +, Chaotic Good +, Chaotic Neutral + and Chaotic Evil +|
|Article Balance||High +|
|Base Attack Bonus Progression||Moderate +|
|Class Ability||Alternate Magic +|
|Class Ability Progression||Full +|
|Fortitude Save Progression||Poor +|
|Identifier||3.5e Class +|
|Minimum Level||1 +|
|Rated By||Zhenra-Khal +|
|Rating||Rating Pending +|
|Reflex Save Progression||Good +|
|Skill||Balance +, Climb +, Concentration +, Craft +, Diplomacy +, Escape Artist +, Hide +, Jump +, Knowledge (nature) +, Listen +, Move Silently +, Perform +, Sense Motive +, Spot +, Swim + and Tumble +|
|Skill Points||6 +|
|Summary||A telekinetic wielder of dihydrogen monoxide with power and versatility. +|
|Title||Bender of Water +|
|Will Save Progression||Poor +|