Body Sprouter (3.5e Class)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
The Body Sprouter can make duplicate copies of their body parts sprout from all sorts of places.
Making a Body Sprouter
Abilities: Body Sprouters use their Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution modifiers for their body parts. For sprouting parts onto enemies, a high mental ability score is helpful.
Races: Creatures that don't have bodies see no appeal to this class.
Starting Gold: 3d4×10 gp (75 gp).
Starting Age: Simple.
|1st||+0||+0||+0||+2||Sprout Body Parts, 1 Body Part Type, Duplication Limit|
|2nd||+1||+0||+0||+3||3 Body Part Types|
|3rd||+2||+1||+2||+3||All Body Part Types|
|4th||+3||+1||+1||+4||Unlimited Limb Chains|
|5th||+3||+1||+1||+4||Faster Limb Chain|
Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
Class Skills, Tome of Prowess Variant (6 per level, ×4 at 1st level)
Bluff (Int), Devices (Int), Escape Artistry (Dex), Intimidation (Cha), Legerdemain (Dex), Perception (Wis), Psychology (Int), Stealth (Dex), Survival (Wis),
All of the following are class features of the Body Sprouter.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Body Sprouters are proficient with simple weapons and light armor.
Sprout Body Parts (Su): As a standard action, the Body Sprouter can project duplicates of her limbs on any surface (including characters) she can see or any surface directly beyond a surface she can see (like the other side of a wall, but not the far wall of a room she can't see). This action sprouts one limb per Body Sprouter level, and another limb per two character levels, and cannot sprout limbs beyond 10' per class level +5' per character level. Characters who do not wish to have body parts sprouted onto them or their equipment may make a Will save (DC 10 + half character level + highest of Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma) to negate those body parts.
The Body Sprouter can't put more body parts on an object or creature than the number required to increase its size category by one step: one part one size larger, three parts the same size, twelve parts one size smaller, etcetera. Body Sprouters can try to project body parts without other people noticing: If she does so, a simple Hide check during the action will suffice, but the standard action to create these body parts now provokes an attack of opportunity.
All body parts the Body Sprouter sprouts have her Natural, Dexterity, and Dodge bonuses to AC, and are usually two size categories smaller than her.
Since all sprouted body parts are projections of her own, attacks and abilities that target her body parts are functionally targeting her: attacks against a sprouted limb deal damage to the Body Sprouter, spells cast on a sprouted limb affect her, potions drunk by sprouted mouths take effect on the Body Sprouter, and so on. Area effects may possibly contain more than one sprouted limb or some number of limbs and the Body Sprouter herself. In such a case, the Body Sprouter is only affected once, although any damage the area effect deals is increased by 50%.
As the sprouted limbs are projections, however, they have a position independent of the Body Sprouter. This means that effects that specifically affect the positioning or movement of the target, such as teleportation effects, grappling, knocking a limb prone, and so on only affects the specific limb and not the Body Sprouter. Similarly, those effects and conditions may affect the Body Sprouter without affecting her sprouted limbs.
When the Body Sprouter transforms, since all sprouted body parts are projections of her own, they transform as well. If a body part doesn't exist on the new form, it disappears; changing from an angel to a human would cause all sprouted wings to disappear, for example. If body parts increase in size such that not all of them can be supported by their surface, the Body Sprouter chooses body parts to have disappear until all remaining body parts fit. Removing parts in this way does not require an action from the Body Sprouter.
Limbs that ever get beyond 100' per class level +50' per character level from the Body Sprouter instantly disappear. Immediately after an attack or ability takes effect on a sprouted limb, she may choose to unsummon that limb as a free action. She can also choose to dismiss any number of projected limbs as a swift action.
In order for a projected body part to take actions, the Body Sprouter must sacrifice those actions. Each sacrificed action lets all body parts she currently has projected take an action of the same type (so if she sacrifices a standard action to wiggle her extra arms, all of her extra arms, eyes, tentacles, etcetera will get a standard action).
Body Part Types: At first level, the Body Sprouter can only sprout one type of body part. At second level, she chooses two new types of body part that she can sprout. At third level, all body part types are available to her. Since body parts are projections of the Body Sprouter's own, she can't sprout body parts she does not have.
- Arm: This body part can make unarmed grapple, trip, and disarm attempts. It can also hold and manipulate objects. Remember that it counts as being two size categories smaller than the Body Sprouter.
- Leg: This body part can make unarmed attacks precisely like the Body Sprouter herself. If two legs are sprouted from an object or willing creature, they can work together to move that object or creature as though a bipedal creature of her strength and land/climb speed was carrying it. For every two additional legs working together, the carrying capacity of the full set is multiplied by 1.5.
- Wing: If two wings are sprouted from an object or willing creature, they can work together to move that object or creature as though a flying creature of her strength and fly speed was carrying it. For every two additional wings working together, the carrying capacity of the full set is multiplied by 1.5.
- Fin: If two fins are sprouted from an object or willing creature, they can work together to move that object or creature as though a swimming creature of her strength and swim speed was carrying it. For every two additional fins working together, the carrying capacity of the full set is multiplied by 1.5.
- Tentacle/Tail: This body part can make natural attacks that deal 1d4 + half her Strength modifier points of bludgeoning damage. It can also grapple and trip.
- Mouth/Claw: This body part can make natural attacks that deal 1d6 + her Strength modifier points of slashing and piercing damage. If it's a mouth, it can also talk, eat, drink, and breathe. This part is three size categories smaller than her instead of two.
- Eye: This body part can see (including her racial vision abilities, like Darkvision, Low-Light Vision, and Light Blindness) and make Spot and Search checks. This part is four size categories smaller than her instead of two.
- Ear: This body part can hear and make Listen checks. This part is four size categories smaller than her instead of two.
- Nostril: This body part can use the Body Sprouter's Scent special quality. This part is four size categories smaller than her instead of two.
- Tremorsense Organ: This body part can detect using the Body Sprouter's Tremorsense. This part is four size categories smaller than her instead of two.
- Blindvision Organ: This body part can detect using the Body Sprouter's Blindsight and/or Blindsense. This part is four size categories smaller than her instead of two.
Duplication Limit: You can't have more duplicates of any one of your body parts than three times your character level. (So if you have three arms and are level 7, you can't have more than 21 projections of each arm).
Unlimited Limb Chains: At level 4, the Body Sprouter can sprout body parts on the ends of other body parts. All except the terminal part are occupied holding onto the other parts, so they cannot be used to attack. The chain is unwieldy and flexes somewhat slowly, so the end part can only move 15 feet as a move action taken by all the other parts together, and cannot be moved farther from the start part than the combined reaches of all parts other than the end part. If a body part in a Limb Chain is destroyed, all body parts further along the chain disappear.
At level 5, the end part can move 40 feet or your base land speed as a move action taken by all the other parts together, whichever is further.
|Allowed Alignments||Lawful Good +, Lawful Neutral +, Lawful Evil +, Neutral Good +, Neutral +, Neutral Evil +, Chaotic Good +, Chaotic Neutral + and Chaotic Evil +|
|Article Balance||Very High +|
|Base Attack Bonus Progression||Moderate +|
|Class Ability||Alternate Magic +|
|Class Ability Progression||Full +|
|Fortitude Save Progression||Poor +|
|Identifier||3.5e Class +|
|Minimum Level||1 +|
|Rated By||Eiji-kun + and Sulacu +|
|Rating||Rating Pending +|
|Reflex Save Progression||Poor +|
|Skill||Appraise +, Climb +, Concentration +, Decipher Script +, Diplomacy +, Disable Device +, Gather Information +, Handle Animal +, Heal +, Intimidate +, Knowledge +, Listen +, Search +, Sleight of Hand +, Spot +, Survival +, Tumble +, Use Magic Device + and Use Rope +|
|Skill Points||4 +|
|Summary||A character who attacks people with their limbs. Duplicates of them, that is. +|
|Title||Body Sprouter +|
|ToP Skill||Bluff +, Devices +, Escape Artistry +, Intimidation +, Legerdemain +, Perception +, Psychology +, Stealth + and Survival +|
|Will Save Progression||Good +|