Cattine (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
The rarely-seen cattine are a race of small-sized anthropomorphic cats that worship the spirits of nature. While feline in nature they are bipedal with hands similar to human hands. Covered from head to tail in fur with very distinctly feline features and coloration. They possess all of the capabilities common to most animal feline species.
Cattine personalities vary greatly from one cat to another. Overall, their personality is more catlike in nature than human. They can be flighty at times, distrustful of other species. Staying to themselves, they take their time learning to trust others. Cattine often stick to the shadows, avoiding wide open places where they feel exposed and possibly vulnerable.
Few cattine wear any clothing. Nudity is common among cattine as part of their animal-like nature. The only cattine who regularly wear any clothing of any kind are cattine priestesses and cattine warriors who are specifically charged with the protection of the village. Cattine who spend a large amount of time around other species may wear clothing to avoid breaking any taboos other species might have about public nudity. Cattine prefer speed and maneuverability over heavy armor and clothing.
Cattine resemble 3 to 4 foot tall cat people with more cat features than human. Their most noticeable feline features are their large feline ears on the top sides of their heads, long cat's tail, cat like eyes, and short fur covering their entire body. Their fur color can vary greatly from one cattine to another. In most cases, however, they tend to resemble a house cat in their fur color and pattern. They have large feline like ears on the top of their heads with a slightly more feline facial structure. The top of their heads is adorned with human-like hair varying wildly in color and texture. They have tails which are as long as half their body height. Rare as they are, some cattine are linked closer to the gig cats than house cats, and their fur and some other physical features reflect this. All cattine have retractable feline claws and the distinctive feline eyes. They can jump up to 5 times their own body height. All cattine are capable of purring as normal cats do.
Cattine are distrustful of any person who is not cattine as a result of a bad time in their distant past, when they were nearly hunted to extinction. Distinctly predatory races and races which are much taller than they are distrusted even more.
Cattine are generally of neutral to good alignment.
Once, a long time ago, they were scattered throughout the lands of the continent of Torgesh until the time of the great hunts. An evil sorceress who had gained the ability to draw power from their sacred crystals nearly had them hunted to extinction. They survived by scattering themselves far and wide. Some cattine disappeared into magical portals their priestesses had opened in order to escape the sorceress' hunters. The cattine that remain struggle to keep alive their culture and protect what little lands and villages they have left with venomous ferocity.
Cattine worship the spirits of nature and Gyia herself. Their culture is centered around these mysterious crystals which float above their worshiping pillars. These crystals are scattered throughout the lands of Torgesh and any other area where cattine inhabit. These crystals contain great power which cattine priestesses can draw upon and command to do their will. The ruler of any village is the priestess or high priestess. The ruler of all the cattine nation and cattine is the supreme high priestess.
The cattine speak their own language known as Cattish. To the untrained or unfocused ear, their speech could almost be perceived as nothing more than the sounds normal cats make. Their language is one of nature and uses the Elven alphabet, as the elven language is its closest relative.
Cattine names vary greatly with no apparent symmetry.
- -2 Strength, +2 Dexterity: Cattine are quick and agile, but are more frail of body than most other creatures.
- Small: As a Small creature, a cattine gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –4 size penalty on special attack (bull rushes, grapples, overruns, and trips) checks, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Cattine base land speed is 40 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A cattine can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. It retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Racial Skills: Balance, Hide, Spot, Move Silently, Listen, Sense Motive, Tumble, Jump, Scent, and Climb are always considered class skills for buying ranks in those skills. They gain +4 skill points per level which can only be used in those skills.
- Cat's Grace: Cattine are agile with quick reactions, giving them a +1 to all Reflex saves.
- Leap of the Cat: Cattine are able to jump up to 5 times their body height, naturally gaining a +10 to all jump checks. Cattine are able to Hop Up onto an object as high as the Cattine's height.
- Cat's Fall: Cattine are able to right themselves, given enough distance to automatically land or tumble out of a fall, for reduced or no damage. On a successful jump or tumble check (DC equal to a jump check), the cattine can reduce the falling distance by 10 feet and take only half damage.
- Always Armed: Cattine have retractable claws on their hands and feet along with sharp teeth which can be used as an armed attack instead of a wielded weapon. Extending and retracting their claws is a free action. In combat, their claws and teeth are treated as wielded weapons. Claws are slashing weapons which do 1d4 damage (+1d4 at every 5th level) with a crit range of 19-20x2. Teeth (bite attack) are piercing weapons which do 1d4 damage (+1d4 at every 5th level) with a crit range of 19-20x2.
- Automatic Languages: Cattish and Common.
- Bonus Languages: Any appropriate to an individual cat's birth place.
- Favored Class: Rogue
- Level Adjustment: +1
- Effective Character Level: 2
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|75 years||120 years||200 years||+250 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||3' 6"||+2d4||60 lb.||× (1d4) lb.|
|Female||3' 1"||+2d4||50 lb.||× (1d4) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||2 +|
|Favored Class||Rogue +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||1 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||-2 Strength + and +2 Dexterity +|
|Rated By||Surgo +, Havvy +, Leziad +, Foxwarrior + and Ganteka Future +|
|Rating||Rated 2 / 4 +|
|Summary||The rarely-seen cattine are a race of small-sized anthropomorphic cats that worship the spirits of nature. +|