Crown of the Demiurge (3.5e Equipment)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Crown of the Demiurge
|Aura:||Strong universal (DC 24)|
|Activation:||Use activated (continuous)|
One of the great mystic theurge Motskalla Sarcus' 10 'divine treasures', the crown of the demiurge is an item considered so blasphemous by the divine denizens of the Upper Planes that its creator has to this date been the only mortal that had ever been tried as a God and incarcerated by the pantheon for crimes against the cosmic order. To this day, the crown is believed to reside within the vaults of the upper reaches of Pelion, never to be held by mortal hands again.
Created at the behest of an ambitious king, the crown of the demiurge is a tool designed to grant its wearer a semblance of Godhood. Through a complicated process that cannot be fully understood without highly in-depth knowledge of the systematic workings of arcana, divine magic, xenotechnology and quantumphysics, the crown transforms cognitive thought entities within a vast area, otherwise defined as 'ideas', into streams of data and energy and focuses them into the wearer. In essence, the crown is a divine proxy-conduit that converts the acknowledgement and worship of people into energy that empowers the wearer, creating a pseudo-divinity effect that becomes more profound the more worshipping followers one has. If the crown is worn by a person that is known and revered far and wide, like a king, it could unleash a Godlike power. With every word of praise, every moment spent in prostration, minions and followers will empower their God-king to perform miracles for either good or bad.
At its base, the crown is simply a mnemonic magic device that makes the wielder's mental ability scores count as 8 points higher for the purpose of granting spell slots per day. However, the more loyal followers or worshipers the wearer attains, the more power he gains from them and the more malleable the world around him becomes. This is reflected in the tier of power the wearer can draw from the crown, as per the below table.
|Number of Worshipers||Power Tier|
|100,000,000 or more||9|
The abilities granted by the crown when at least empowered by 100 followers or worshipers are as follows:
- The wearer gains a divine bonus to ability scores, as well as to attack rolls, damage, Armor Class and saves equal to his tier + 1.
- The wearer gains Damage Reduction/epic equal to his power tier + 1, times five.
- The wearer can build its own custom cleric domain. By imbuing a specific spell within the crown with an hour of meditation per level of the spell, he may channel that spell into his domain. The domain functions as a normal cleric domain, capable of holding spells from 1st to 9th level. The maximum level of spell that can be channeled into the domain is equal to the wearer's tier, and the wearer of the crown can cast any spell within the domain at will. Only spells without an XP cost may be channeled into the domain. At will, the wearer may grant or deny his self-made domain to any of his worshipers or followers capable of divine magic. The domain power may be decided upon at will, but it may not be significantly more powerful than what is the standard for domain powers.
- The wearer gains access to abilities that transcend the laws of magic and physics. When attaining tier 0 worship, he gains access to either the Battlesense or Call Creatures salient ability. At every subsequent even tier as well as the final 9th tier of power, the wielder may choose another ability from the list of salient abilities, so long as he meets the prerequisites. For the purpose of meeting the prerequisites of salient abilities, the wielder counts as having a pseudo-divine rank equal to his power tier. The only exception is Craft Artifact, which cannot be taken, and Alter Reality, the benefits of which the wielder gradually gains (and then some) for going up in tiers.
- The wearer gains the limited ability to alter reality that increases and becomes more complete the higher his power tier becomes.
- At tier 0, the wielder becomes capable of speeding up or retarding local time, enabling the wielder to create a targeted swift action haste or slow effect at will with a single target each time. Once per day as a standard action, he may channel a limited wish at no XP cost.
- At tier 1, the wielder can cast any cantrip (0-level spell) from any spell list at will as a free action once per round, and any 1st- or lower level spell from any spell list at will once per round.
- At tier 2, as a immediate action usable at will at any time of the round, the wielder may cast one of his personal domain spells. Once every month as a standard action, he may channel a wish or miracle at no XP cost.
- At tier 3, the wielder can cast any 2nd- or lower level spell from any spell list at will once per round. Once every hour as a standard action, he may channel a limited wish at no XP cost.
- At tier 4, the wielder may straight up negate any event that happens. The event can be an attack or a cast spell, or even something resulting from natural hazards, like the collapsing of a building. An event so negated is cut from space/time, its effect having never happened, regardless of any previous actions or effects leading to said event. This ability may be used once per encounter, or once per hour outside of encounters.
- At tier 5, the wielder can cast any 3rd- or lower level spell from any spell list at will once per round. Once every 2 weeks as a standard action, he may channel a wish or miracle at no XP cost.
- At tier 6, the wielder may teleport at will to any sufficient congregation of his followers or worshippers. To teleport to a location using the crown, at least 100 worshipers or followers need to present within a one-mile radius. Once every 10 minutes as a standard action, he may channel a limited wish at no XP cost.
- At tier 7, the wielder can cast any 4th- or lower level spell from any spell list at will once per round. Once every week as a standard action, he may channel a wish or miracle at no XP cost.
- At tier 8, the wielder transforms into a pseudo-God. His damage reduction becomes DR/cosmic, and extends to effects other than physical forms of damage. He becomes capable of mentally divining and scrying any of his followers/worshipers within a continental radius. Once every minute as a standard action, he may channel a limited wish at no XP cost.
- At tier 9, the wielder may channel a limited wish as a standard action at will at no XP cost, and once per day a wish or miracle at no XP cost.
The crown of the demiurge is a 'transcendental' magic item. It is unique, and the secrets of its creation have been lost to time. It functions as a minor artifact, cannot be destroyed by mortal means and resists dispelling and disjoining like an artifact does. An antimagic field is incapable of stopping the conversion of worship-energy, but does prevent the wearer from using any abilities that extend beyond the crown and themselves within the area of the field. Due to the potentially extreme power of this item, it is best treated as a true artifact instead of a magic item.