The Doisyl are a race of 'living' dolls, they are greatly varied in appearance, although the majority are human-like. The uncanny valley is in full effect, however. All Doisyls are said to come from the same mysterious workshop, although it has opened and closed many times. This lead to multiple generation of Doisyls, each generation being somewhat different from the last design-wise. The quirks in their creation lead to them being easily controlled, they simply lack a strong spiritual presence and thus are hard to detect with magic and vulnerable to possession. Personality-wise, Doisyls are varied, but tend towards muted emotions and stilled mood. Over time a Doisyl will pick up many quirks from their surroundings. Being made from wood and ceramic makes the average Doisyl very light for its size, the exact weight depends on how much of which material was used in its construction, which varies from doll to doll.
- -2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma: Doisyl are hardy and perceptive but also awkward both physically and socially.
- Construct (Living Construct): Doisyls are constructs, but their special and delicate construction as well as the mysterious force animating them make them more alive than not.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a doisyl has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Doisyl base land speed is 20 feet.
- Darkvision: A doisyl can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a doisyl can function just fine with no light at all.
- Doll Body (Ex): The Doisyl's body is made of a combination of ceramic, wood and other fragile materials. They take 50% more damage from bludgeoning and fire damage but have energy hindrance 50% resistance to cold and electricity.
- Enduring Lifeforce (Ex): Doisyls do not die when they reach -10 hit points, instead they become inert and broken. In this state they do not heal naturally and need to be repaired with either spell or mundane work (a DC 20 craft check) over the course of 24 hours. The Doisyl's inert body has hit points equal to half her normal maximum hit points and a hardness of 5, if destroyed the doisyl dies for real.
- Living Construct Trait (Ex): Unlike other constructs, Doisyls have a constitution score. As living constructs, they do not gain bonus hit points by size, but rather through constitution as with other living creatures. They do not have low-light vision, and are not immune to mind-influencing effects. They have an immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, sickening, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, and energy drain. They cannot heal damage naturally, and take half benefit from positive energy cure spells. However, they take full benefit from the repair series of spells. They are subject to critical hits, effects requiring a Fort save, death from massive damage, nonlethal damage, stunning, ability damage, ability drain, and death and necromancy effects. When reduced to 0 hit points, a living construct is disabled, just like a living creature, and when its hit points are less than 0 but greater than -10, it is inert. It is unconscious and helpless, but stable. They may be raised and resurrected as normal, and have no need to eat, sleep, or breathe, though they may benefit from consumables. Though they do not need to sleep, they must still rest for 8 hours before preparing spells, as normal.
- Otherworldly Puppet (Ex): Doisyls are extremely receptive to the power of other worlds, making them powerful binders but also making them susceptible to control. On the other hand they take a a -4 penalty on binding checks and a -2 penalty to saves against [compulsion] spells and effects, possession attempts, opposed ego rolls from intelligent items, and spells which otherwise duplicate such effects (like magic jar). On the other hand, if a Doisyl takes levels in binder, she improves her effective binder level by 1 and can use her wisdom modifier to determine the DC of her vestige's abilities, this stacks with the Improved Binding feat and other feats or abilities which improve her binder level.
- Weak Presence (Ex): Doisyls lack a powerful spiritual presence, making them very resistant to divination. They are constantly under the effect of nondetection with a caster level equal to their character level. This offers no protection against divination spells capable of working on objects however. Additionally any effects which pierce this defense detect them as though they only have a single hit dice, which matters for spells such as detect evil or detect power level.
- Automatic Languages: Common
- Bonus Languages: Any non-secret
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
Table: Doisyl Random Height and Weight
|| Base Height
|| Height Modifier
|| Base Weight
|| Weight Modifier
|| 4’ 10”
|| 40 lb.
|| × (2d4) lb.
|| 4’ 5”
|| 30 lb.
|| × (2d4) lb.
Back to Main Page → 3.5e Homebrew → Races
Leziad's Homebrew (4052 Articles)