Doppelbose (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
A doppelbose is a inherently evil being created when a creatures messes around in the planes of mirror. No one quite know what trigger the creation of a doppelbose, but sometime when a creature visit the plane of mirror or sometime even simply gaze into it the plane will produce a nigh identical copy. The copy is a dopplebose, an evil twin of the original creature who share overwhelmingly the same physical quality except for minor distortions (a weird sometime outright unnatural trait differing from the original) and reversed handedness.
The doppelboses are usually created from humanoid creature over all other, they are almost never created from stronger creature (and this racial entry is for LA 0 creature only). Doppleboses are always evil aligned and are equally likely to be lawful, neutral or chaotic, their alignment is not dependent on the alignment of the original creature. They also possess somewhat unique personality, usually based around normal and reversed personality trait of the original creature as well as the doppelbose own traits.
Many doppelbose attempt to replace the original creature but not all do, although being inherently evil their plans are typically ill of the original.
Many doppelbose take levels in the doppelbose paragon class.
- +2 Charisma: Doppelbose tend to be highly charismatic, often being able to convince the family and friend of the original that they are indeed the real one and the other is the impostor. This is in addition the racial adjustment granted by race (see copy race).
- Aberration (Shapechanger): Dopplebose are very much aberations, they also have very minor shapechanging abilities but are technically shapechangers.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a doppelbose has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Doppelbose base land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision: A doppelbose can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a doppelbose can function just fine with no light at all.
- Copy Race (Ex): Doppelboses are not actually members of the same race as the original creature, however they do share similar traits. At character creation choose a LA 0 race which must be the same as the original creature. The dopplebose gain the racial traits of the chosen race excluding it type. It count as their natural from if they are forced back to their original form or killed.
- Evil Twin (Ex): Each doppelbose are nigh perfect copy of a creature who messed up with the plane of mirrors. A doppelbose gain a +20 racial bonus to Bluff and Disguise checks for the purpose of passing for the original creature. They also possess memories of the original creature up to the point of their creation, however these tend to be distorted and twisted making precise information inaccurate.
- However each dopplebose also have one or more differing traits from the original, these traits are called a distortion. Distortions could be anything from having a mole on the wrong side, a strange mark on their body, missing teeth and even major difference like backward hands like a rakshasa. The difference is typically easy to conceal below clothes, but if it made obvious or pointed out to creature the dopplebose lose it racial bonus to bluff and disguise against that creature. Additionally doppleboses always have reversed handedness from the original creature.
- Mirror Trespass (Su): A doppelbose is capable of entering a adjacent mirror or other reflecting surface as apart of a move action as if it was a door (so it need to be large enough to accommodate your body, although you can squeeze through normally). Upon entering a mirror the dopplebose enter a demiplane bordering the plane of mirrors, which the dopplebose can exit as a move action or move to any reflective surface of sufficient size within a 60 ft. radius of the original entry point. This allow her to essentially move between reflective surface/demiplanes. If the surface is very large (such as a body of water or wall sized mirror) each square of the surface count as a different surface by itself. She may bring any willing creatures alongside with her, the demiplane itself is always large enough to accommodate anyone inside, assuming they can enter it in the first place.
- While in the demiplane the dopplebose can see and can be seen from the reflective surface, and if it shattered or otherwise disturbed the dopplebose (and any other creature in the demiplane) is violently ejected taking 1d6 damage and landing prone. Similarly when the dopplebose leave a demiplane it eject any other creature that was left behind in a similar fashion. Any objects left unattended in the demiplane when it collapse are lost in the plane of mirror.
- Steal Likeness (Su): As standard action a dopplebose can make a touch attack, if it hit it likeness become identical to the touched creature (as per disguise self). The dopplebose can keep the creature's likeness for 1 day per character level (D). This ability can be used on dead creature whose corpse must be intact (same criteria as raise dead), taking their likeness as if they were alive. If the target of this ability is alive when it is used, a successful Will save negate the effect (DC is charisma-based) and reder the creature immune to further steal lineess attempt for 24 hours.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Special (A dopplebose know the original creature's first language)
- Bonus Languages: Special (A dopplebose has access to the same special language as the original creature, including secret languages)
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +1
- Effective Character Level: 2
LA 0 Variant
A LA 0 doppelbose is often known as a cracked doppelbose, they are created from cracked mirrors and thus do not possess the full power of a doppelbose. A cracked doppelbose lose it racial ability score bonus (except for the copy race ability score adjustment) and is of the same type as the race it copies and do not have the shapechanger subtype. A cracked doppelbose lose it steal likeness and mirror trespass ability and may not become a doppelbose paragon.
|Effective Character Level||2 +|
|Favored Class||Any +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||1 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Charisma +|
|Summary||A doppelbose is a inherently evil being created when a creatures messes around in the planes of mirror. +|