Dragonborn - Rewrite (5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Boring And Useless
Default dragonborn look like weird fish-people, only get two racial abilities, and those racial abilities are purely meh; Not only that, but rather than more diverse subraces, they just have a racial ability that you use to choose your ancestry. That's dumb, and I'm here to give you a real Dragonborn - Though it may end up being unbalanced by the time I'm done with it, so bear with me.
- Creature Type. Humanoid
- Ability Score Increase. Constitution +2
- Age. Young dragonborn grow quickly. They walk hours after hatching, attain the size and development of a 10-year-old human child by the age of 3, and reach adulthood by 15. They live to be around 80.
- Alignment. Dragonborn tend to extremes, making a conscious choice for one side or the other in the cosmic war between good and evil. Most dragonborn are good, but those who side with evil can be terrible villains.
- Size. Dragonborn are taller and heavier than humans, standing well over 6 feet tall and averaging almost 250 pounds. Your size is Medium.
- Speed. Your base speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision: Used to dim caves and hunting from the sky, dragons have keen eyes - And likewise, the dragonborn have inherited some of that keenness. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
- Scaly Hide. Dragonborn possess tough scales on their hide, faintly colored like those of their draconic ancestor. This gives them an AC of 12 + their Dex mod while wearing no armor.
- Natural Weapons. Dragonborn possess small, hard, sharp claws; Thus, their unarmed damage is 1d4 + their Strength modifier, and they may choose to deal slashing damage with their unarmed strikes instead of bludgeoning. Additionally, they have a natural Bite attack, dealing Piercing damage equal to 1d6 + their Str mod.
- Breath Weapon. All Dragonborn possess a Breath Weapon, which they may use as a bonus action, or as a valid weapon when making an attack of any sort, including an attack of opportunity. Once used, the Dragonborn must spend an Action to regain the ability to use it again. The breath weapon's shape, damage type, and the ability score used for the saving throw against the breath weapon, are all determined by the Dragonborn's subtype. However, regardless of subrace, the save DC is always equal to 8 + the Dragonborn's proficiency modifier + their Constitution modifier, and the damage is always 1d6, increasing to 2d6 at 5th level, 3d6 at 11th level, and to 4d6 at 17th level. On a successful save, the target still takes half damage from the breath weapon.
- Draconic Wings. All Dragonborn have wings, granting them the ability to control their midair movement. While falling, the Dragonborn can unfurl their wings, slowing their fall to a mere 60ft per round, and allowing them to glide 90ft in a direction of their choice for every 60ft traveled; When they reach the ground in this manner, they take no fall damage, though colliding with a wall, tree, or other object while gliding will result in taking damage as if you fell the distance you traveled before striking it - Thus, gliding 70ft in a round before crashing into a wall would result in 7d6 bludgeoning damage and ending up prone, in addition to potentially falling further if the wall was above the ground. Even if the Dragonborn falls unconscious while midair or falling, their wings lock open, held by ligaments, and they drift to the ground in a tight spiral at a rate of 60ft per round, even though they cannot glide or otherwise act to control their descent.
- At level 5, your wings improve, allowing you to fly for short periods of time; However, doing so requires you to concentrate on flying, as if you were concentrating on a spell. This allows you to fly at a speed of 60ft, for up to 1 minute per long rest. Each minute beyond the first forces you to make a Constitution saving throw (DC 10 + your Proficiency bonus); If you succeed, you can fly for another minute unimpeded. If you fail, you suffer one level of exhaustion. Regardless of success or failure, the DC of the next saving throw increases by +2 - Thus if you flew for two minutes, the save would be DC 18, or DC 20 after three minutes, or DC 22 after 4 minutes, and so forth. The increase to the save DC is removed at the end of a short rest.
- Elemental Resistance. All Dragonborn possess Resistance to the type of damage dealt by their breath weapon, as determined by their draconic ancestry.
- Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Draconic Dragonborn are all taught both the common tongue and that of their winged ancestors.
|Ability Mods||Con +2 +|
|Features||Age +, Alignment +, Size +, Speed +, Darkvision 60 +, Scaly Hide +, Natural Weapons +, Breath Weapon +, Draconic Wings +, Elemental Resistance + and Languages +|
|Identifier||5e Race +|
|Is Race||true +|
|Race Name||Dragonborn - Rewrite (5e Race) +|
|Summary||The Dragonborn are underpowered and clunky; Here's a good rewrite of them. +|
|Title||Dragonborn - Rewrite +|