Dwarf (3.5e Race)
- This article is about the homebrew Dwarf race. You may be looking for the SRD:Dwarf.
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
|“||When you have a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.||”|
The base game gives very little incentive to play a dwarf. While possibly situationally useful, the many racial abilities of a dwarf are too situational to realistically have an impact on the game. Without the benefits of Small size or the bonus feat of a human, they are easily outclassed by other player races and left in a similarly awkward spot as elves. Since drow got shown the love, elves have gotten their fair share of homebrew fixes, but dwarves have not.
This dwarf can also be considered to cover the duergar and other dwarf sub-races, since most differences between them are cosmetic or role-play related and not of significant mechanical consequence.
- +2 Constitution
- Humanoid (Dwarf)
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a Dwarf has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Dwarf base land speed is 20 feet. Although they are Medium-size creatures, dwarves only have 20 ft. of base movement speed; they do not, however, sustain penalties to movement speed for wearing armor or being encumbered.
- Darkvision: A dwarf can see in the dark up to 120 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a dwarf can function just fine with no light at all.
- Hammer and Tongs: Every dwarf knows how to work a forge, without exception. A dwarf can craft mundane and magical items without having to take the necessary Item Creation feat. He must still meet all other prerequisites needed to craft a particular item. For the purposes of crafting items, the dwarf is treated as having a caster level equal to their character level. If an enchantment requires specific spells, the dwarf can use another caster or a scroll as a substitute.
- A dwarf is automatically proficient with their choice of the warhammer, dwarven waraxe or dwarven urgrosh.
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poisons, spells, and spell-like effects.
- Automatic Languages: Dwarven.
- Bonus Languages: Common, Elven, Goblin, Ignan, Terran, Undercommon.
- Favored Class: Fighter
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1