Half-Giant, Lesser (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Similar to their more psionic counterparts in most ways, Lesser Half-Giants are the product of Half Giants breeding with other races.
Lesser Half-Giants are slowly becoming more common, as they interbreed with humans and other non-giant races. While they still retain much of their physical Half-Giant traits, they feel comfortable among the other races, and tend to have a much better degree of social acclimation. Most Half-Giants tend to be careful and deliberate with their actions, since their larger size and strength makes it easy to break things if they're not careful. They tend to be adventurous and inquisitive, and most make friends easily. Otherwise lesser half-giants vary in demeanor and personality just as much as humans.
Ironically, most Lesser Half-Giants tend to be slightly taller than their cousins, some coming within a few inches of being Large creatures. They tend to have dark hair and strong, stern features. Both sexes are broad in the chest and shoulders and their hands seem slightly oversized, though not comically so. Lesser half-giants are much shorter-lived than true half-giants due to interbreeding with other races, very rarely living 100 years of age.
Most other races look at lesser half-giants and see the large frames and heavy features and equate them as simple creatures good only for physical labor. While lesser half-giants do indeed excel at physical activities and hard work, they just as often surprise other races with bright, insightful minds, quick thinking and strong personalities. Lesser Half-Giants know how they look, and while a few resent being stereotyped as dumb brutes, most dismiss such prejudice with an expansive shrug, seeking the company somewhere else with more open-minded individuals. Lesser Half-Giants get along well with most races. Halflings and Gnomes tend to be wary of lesser half giants, telling stories of being accidentally stepped on by the lumbering klutzes.
Most Lesser Half Giants living in civilized areas tend to not be chaotic, even if they leave such civilized lands to go adventuring. Good and neutral lesser half-giants are the rule, but there are others that find they enjoy using their size and strength for evil gains.
Any. Lesser Half-Giants may be found in all areas, though they are more common near areas where true Half-Giants live in large numbers.
Lesser Half Giants may choose to worship any deity they please.
Lesser Half-Giants speak Common. Some families still teach their children Giant, but most just learn the languages of the other races around them, depending on where they live.
Lesser Half Giant names tend to be natural and often peaceful-sounding. River, Oakhollow, Cloud, and Moor are common male names. Females tend to be similar, such as Willow, Lea, Hyacinth, or Zephyr.
- Giant: Lesser Half-giants are not subject to spells or effects that affect humanoids only, such as charm person or dominate person.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a half-giant has no special bonuses or penalties due to his size.
- Lesser Half-giant base land speed is 30 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A race can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Powerful Build: The physical stature of lesser half-giants lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a lesser half-giant is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the lesser half-giant is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A lesser half-giant is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A lesser half-giant can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
- Automatic Languages: Common.
- Bonus Languages: Giant, Draconic.
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|35 years||55 years||75 years||+4d% years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||7' 0"||+2d10||220 lb.||× (4d6) lb.|
|Female||6' 8"||+2d8||180 lb.||× (4d6) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Any +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Strength +, –2 Dexterity + and +2 Constitution +|
|Rated By||Allusive +|
|Rating||Rating Pending +|
|Summary||Similar to their more psionic counterparts in most ways, Lesser Half-Giants are the product of Half Giants breeding with other races. +|
|Title||Half-Giant, Lesser +|