Hearth Giant (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Hearth Giants are a unique, more human-like kind of giant. They are most of the time civilized and peaceful.
Hearth giants are patient and helpful. The typical hearth giant will be generous and social.
A young hearth giant is small and weak compared to other giants, the typical hearth giant will be around 7'0 feet in height but much less bulky than their more savage analogs. Sexual dimorphism is much less pronounced among hearth giant than many other races, with both males and females standing the same height, with females often slightly lighter. Their overall appearance is that of a scaled-up human but slightly bulkier. This allows most humanoid races to relate to them well enough. Most hearth giants will grow in size with age (this is pronounced mechanically by taking the Large Size and Huge Size feats) but this tends not to affect their appearance too much except for the obvious added height and weight.
Hearth giants attempt to get along other races as much as possible. Most humanoid races don't tend to argue with giants.
Hearth giants tend to be good. While many are neutral-good, there plenty of lawful and chaotic hearth giants. Neutral and evil hearth giants are uncommon, although the latter tend to be renegades and join up with more savage giant tribes and thus are rarely seen among the hearth giant community.
Hearth giants prefer flatland like prairies and plains to settle. However, they are able to live in most temperate or cold climates without problems.
Hearth giants tend to worship good nature gods.
The hearth giant racial language is Giant, but most make an effort to learn Common.
Hearth giants have multiple cultures and tribes. However, they also tend to share names with famous giants of other kinds.
- +2 Strength, -2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom: Hearth giants are strong, stout and have philosophical and perspective minds. However, they are awkward and slow-witted.
- Giant: Hearth giants start out as Medium-sized giants but quickly grow in size. They use the homebrew giant type.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a hearth giant has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Heart Giant base land speed is 30 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A hearth giant can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- As giants, hearth giants are automatically proficient with any thrown weapons (including projectiles used for Throw Anything). They also possess a slam attack which deals 1d8 points of damage.
- Distant Minded (Ex): Hearths giant have a –2 penalty to initiative and a –1 penalty to Reflex saves.
- Stability (Ex): A hearth giant gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
- Peaceful Mind (Ex): As a move action a hearth giant may replicate the effect of calm emotions upon itself. A hearth giant can use this ability even when not normally allowed too (like when panicked or confused).
- Throw Anything (Ex): A hearth giant can throw objects (whether they be rocks, wooden planks, or other pieces of debris) up to four sizes smaller than themselves in one hand. In this case, ‘size’ refers to the size of the projectile itself, not the creature by whom it is wielded (thus, a Fine object can be up to six inches in diameter). Such a projectile deals 1d6 points of damage per size category it possesses (beginning at 1d6 damage for a Fine-sized projectile and advancing accordingly) and has a range increment of 10 feet per size category of the giant throwing it. Giants add their Strength modifier to both attack and damage rolls with these weapons.
- Catch (Ex): When a hearth giant is targeted with a ranged weapon that they would be capable of throwing and is aware of the attack, it may attempt to catch the projectile as an immediate action by making an attack roll opposing that of the thrower. It must have at least one hand free in order to attempt to catch something. A giant who successfully catches a projectile may elect to throw it at another creature within its normal throwing range as part of the same immediate action. A giant may only block weapons with enhancement bonuses up to its HD divided by four; anything with a higher bonus cannot be caught.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Giant.
- Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Orc, Goblin, Terran.
- Favored Class: Druid or Wizard
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|80 years||120 years||200 years||+3d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||6' 0"||+2d10||100 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||6' 0"||+2d10||90 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Druid + and Wizard +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Strength +, -2 Dexterity +, +2 Constitution +, -2 Intelligence + and +2 Wisdom +|
|Summary||Hearth Giants are a unique, more human-like kind of giant. They are most of the time civilized and peaceful. +|
|Title||Hearth Giant +|