Jennaerik (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Ah, the Jennaerik! The race of true Dragon Disciples with a knack for thieving skills. The Jennaerik were once Kalimna, the predecessor of humans and elves, but were left weaker after the Khoradt wars, a twenty-year struggle with the elves over the lands north of Kha'Dumm. Terrified and without a home, they fled the forest of Khorad and into the desert, where a kindly, purple-scaled family of dragons took them under their wing. The once great race thus evolved into the Jennaerik, and those who reach adulthood vow to win back Khoradt or die. However, many do the latter in the attempt of the former before ever reaching manhood...
Most Jennaeriks have a passion for thieving (which probably comes from their dragon-human blood, as their ancestors were outcasts that resorted to thieving). They just can't help it: a jingling purse sparks their interest, and also the igniting spark of a daggerforge, in case money could be made from thieves in need of weaponry. However, when it comes to battle or worship, they abstain from thieving - or try to, at least. Jennaeriks keep few close friends, and as such, one usually does not gain a Jennaerik's trust without first being trusted by his small group of friends. Once one does aquire this friendship, the Jennaerik is loyal, kind, and generous to his newfound ally.
- Average height:5'5
- Average weight:150lbs
- Skin color:Tannish
- Eye color:Green, Yellow, Blue, Purple, Red
- Common clothing:Desert Garb
- Typical gear:Tent
Hates elves for their ancient battles in Kha'Dumm. As a result, they don't get along with half-elves, eladrins, or anyone slightly elvish in appearance. Anyone that speaks, reads, or writes in elvish in the tribe is put into exile - the elf-friends in the desert of Kha'Dumm are always suspected of treason to the Healer.
Almost always Lawful Neutral; Jennaeriks aren't hasty to take sides on any matter (unless it involves elves), but follow their Healer to the death.
The deserts of Kha'Dumm are dotted with small tribes of Jennaeriks, but only one region of the land is crowded with these thief-clans. That place is Rakhmen'Staigg. The center of the desert is circled by the Rakhmen Mountains, and is fifty feet lower than the rest of the desert. Here are the Great Healer's tribes, the Twenty Skulls Tribes. These are warrior-tribes of the great healer, and they protect the last defence against the elves. This region is the most heavily fortified area in the world of Arandin - and the one with the highest thievery rate. The Jennaeriks of this tribe have +2 Strength, -4 Intelligence and Fighter as a favored class, rather than what they had before.
Jennaeriks believe in the dragon deities, as one might find in the Defenders of the Faith, Draconomicon, or Deities and Demigods . They are so extreme that they build the tribe in a crescent around a temple, with the temple near a dragon's den. They are very devout in worship, and often give half their money to the healer in offering. Half of this money is given to the dragon just outside of the tribe.
Jennaeriks speak Common and Draconic. They try to be able to keep up with the world around them by talking to the occasional trader or adventurer, and Draconic is their holy language.
Jennaeriks name their children by asking the local dragon for a name.
- Male Names; Al'Sieth, Theirin, Kyrrnin, Malkor, and Arendin.
- Female Names; Minik, Siethi, Rynn, Maaili, and Alazia.
- -2 Strength +2 Dexterity : Jennaerik are not inclined to great feats of strength, but they do know how to pick a pocket.
- Humanoid (human) : Jennaerik are close enough to humans that they have their subtype.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a Jennaerik has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Jennaerik base land speed is 30 feet
- Racial HD: None
- Darkvision: A 60 can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a Jennaerik can function just fine with no light at all.
- Breath Weapon: A Jennaerik may use a line of lightning breath weapon 2/day.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic.
- Bonus Languages: Any language.
- Favored Class: Rogue
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
Changing the Jennaeriks for Your World
Your campaign may not include desert travel. For such campaigns consider the following changes;
- For Forest, Neutral Good for usual alignment, substituting Draconic for Sylvan in languages, changing favored class to Druid, substituting the breath weapon for wildshape 4/day, and bonusing Wisdom as a +4 instead of Dexterity.
- For Tundra, Chaotic Good for usual alignment, substituting Draconic for Giant in languages, changing favored class to Fighter, substituting the breath weapon for resist elements as the sorcerer/wizard spell for cold 2/day, and changing the ability modifiers to +2 Strength, -2 Dexterity.
- For Mountains, Lawful Good for usual alignment, substituting Draconic for Dwarven in languages, changing favored class to Fighter, and changing the ability modifiers to +2 Strength, -2 Wisdom, -2 Intelligence.
- For Plains, Chaotic Neutral for usual alignment, eliminating Draconic from languages, changing favored class to Barbarian, and negating Intelligence and Wisdom instead of Strength.
- For Hills, Neutral Evil for usual alignment, changing favored class to Antipaladin, changing the line of lightning breath weapon for cone of fire, and changing the ability modifiers to +2 Charisma, +2 Wisdom, -2 Constitution.
- For Civilized Jennaerik, no usual alignment, changing favored class to Wizard, changing the breath weapon to cure light wounds as the spell 2/day, and changing the modifiers to +4 Intelligence, -2 Strength.
- For anything else, change the breath weapon to protection from good/evil/law/chaos as the spell 3/day, and exchange Darkvision 60 to Low-light Vision and Darkvision 30
- Dark Jennaerik are as Jennaerik, with the following changes;
*darkness as the spell 3/day *protection from good as the spell 3/day *Breath weapon changes to line of acid and is now usable 4/day *+2 Strength, +2 Dexterity as new ability modifiers *Favored class; Cleric (Tiamat) *Level adjustment; +2 *Effective Level; 3
- Celestial Jennaerik;
*light as the spell 3/day *protection from evil as the spell 3/day *+2 Wisdom, +2 Intelligence as new ability modifiers *Breath weapon substituted for cure light wounds as the spell 4/day *Favored class; Paladin *Level adjustment; +2 *Effective Level; 3
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|20 years||25 years||30 years||+3d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5' 3"||+1d8||130 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
|Female||5' 2"||+1d10||120 lb.||× (1d4) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Rogue +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||-2 Strength + and +2 Dexterity +|
|Rated By||Eiji-kun +|
|Rating||Rating Pending +|
|Summary||Ah, the Jennaerik! The race of true Dragon … |
Ah, the Jennaerik! The race of true Dragon Disciples with a knack for thieving skills. The Jennaerik were once Kalimna, the predecessor of humans and elves, but were left weaker after the Khoradt wars, a twenty-year struggle with the elves over the lands north of Kha'Dumm. Terrified and without a home, they fled the forest of Khorad and into the desert, where a kindly, purple-scaled family of dragons took them under their wing. The once great race thus evolved into the Jennaerik, and those who reach adulthood vow to win back Khoradt or die. However, many do the latter in the attempt of the former before ever reaching manhood...the former before ever reaching manhood... +