Karanoan (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
A race of immortal playful humanoid fey from the Karanoa, a misty lost forest. The karanoan are notable for being quite mysterious and isolationist, the overwhelming majority prefer to stay sheltered in their wood than taking risk and venture outside.
Thanks to the fact karanoans never achieve true maturity, they are almost always playful and innocent. The Karanoa provide them with food and safety and they are naturally immortal, as a result they do not quite understand the concept of death. Those who experience hardship outside the Karanoa tend to grow much more mature, understanding that life is not all about playing, but still retain more than a bit of their old innocent selves.
Karanoans look much like young humans, they are on average a little shorter, typically have fairly pale skin and can have a much wider range of eyes and hairs color (from blonde, auburn and typical brown to green or bright pink). Since karanoans do not age past a certain point they are often confused for human children or teenager with sometime funny hair and eye colors.
Since the Karanoa is a very isolated place and is almost impossible to enter without a karanoan guide, the karanoans have almost no relation with other races. Most races confuse them for short humans or tall halflings.
Karanoan tend to be overwhelmingly good aligned, with a few neutral karanoans and almost unheard of evil karanoans.
All karanoans are from the Karanoa, a misty lost forest which actually exist in own dimensional space. It is said the Karanoa link between multiple material plane but it inhabitants are extremely ignorant of it. Navigating the Karanoa is almost impossible for non-karanoans, more often than not leading to outside the forest and wasting countless hours.
Since they barely understand the concept of 'outside' and 'death', it come to no surprise that they are not particularly pious.
While they do not ahve their own language, karanoans prefer to speak sylvan and 'tinkertongue'. They also have the natural ability to speak with animals and plants.
Karanoans are not born like most humanoid, they do not have parents. They tend to choose their own name, which can honestly take a great variety of forms.
- -4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom or +2 Charisma: Karanoan very agile and have a fairly flexible mind, however their sheltered existence made intellectually slow and physically puny.
- Fey: Karanoan may look like young humans but they are fey.
- Small: As a Small creature, a karanoan gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –4 size penalty on special attack (bull rushes, grapples, overruns, and trips) checks, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Karanoan base land speed is 30 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A karanoan can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Karanoan receive a +4 bonus on Bluff, Perform and Tumble checks.
- Fairy Companion: All karanoan have a small sprite companion that bonded with them since birth, they gain a 'psicrystal' as if they had the psicrystal affinity feat (using her character level to determine the benefit the faerie would get) except the 'psicrystal' has the fey type, no hardness and has a fly speed of 30 feet (good). If the faerie companion die vanish in a puff of smoke and it owner take a -2 penalty to all her attack roll roll, damage roll, saving throws, ability and skill checks until it is brought back, which take 8 hours of meditation in a non-barren natural terrain.
- Immortality (Ex): Karanoans are naturally immortal, they age extremely slowly, taking one hundred year for each human year they would age and usually completely stop aging when they reach 14 (earliest around 12, latest around 16). Karanoan do not gain any aging bonus or penalty, do not die of old age and are immune to magical aging. Karanoans are immune to poison and disease for as long as they stay in nature, they lose their immunity in urban terrain and become especially susceptible to poison and disease, taking a -4 penalty to their fortitude saving throws against them.
- Linked Lifeforce (Ex): Never meant to travel outside their sacred forest, karanoans die quickly whenever they leave the Karanoa. They can bypass this restriction by keeping a small token of the Karanoa, a leaf, branch or similar objects. As long as she carry the object with her she is free to travel the land. If the token is lost or destroyed (or if she left without one) she will start suffering in short order. After 24 hours without token she will become sickened, after 48 hours she will become sickened and susceptible, after 72 hours she will become susceptible and nauseated, finally after a week she will die. Reacquiring or acquiring another token or moving back in the Karanoa immediately restore her from her weakened state. Travelling karanoans may take up to three token, any more is just not respectful.
- Spell-like Abilities (Sp): A karanoan gains several spell-like abilities that come from their natural ability to manipulate the green. A karanoan can only use her spell-like abilities when she is on a non-barren natural terrain (forest, swamp, plain, etc but not urban, desert or a wasteland). At Will-charm animal, commune with nature, faerie fire, ghost sound, pass without trace, speak with animals, speak with plants. Charisma/day- goodberry, silent image.
- Tinkertongue (Su): Karanoan can communicate in "Tinkertongue", a language which is impossible to translate and simple sounds like musical instruments and bells. A karanoan can have one or more creatures listening be able to understand what she is saying, thereby insuring privacy in what is being said (though not the act of speaking). Changing who can understand tinkertongue is a free action on her turn.
- Vulnerability to Emotion (Ex): Karanoan are particularly vulnerable to emotional changes. Any effect which causes an emotional effect (such as charm, crushing despair, rage, bardic music, or anything invoking a morale penalty or bonus) takes a -4 penalty to the save against it. Morale bonuses and penalties are increased by 50%; a +2 inspire courage now grants +3, a -4 penalty now gives -6, and so forth.
- Wild Empathy (Ex): Karanoans have wild empathy as a druid of their character level. If they already possess wild empathy they gain an additional +4 bonus on it rolls.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Sylvan
- Bonus Languages: Any non-secret
- Favored Class: Bard or Druid
- Level Adjustment: +1
- Effective Character Level: 2
|Effective Character Level||2 +|
|Favored Class||Bard + and Druid +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||1 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||-4 Strength +, +2 Dexterity +, -2 Intelligence + and +2 Wisdom or +2 Charisma +|
|Rated By||TheDarkWad +|
|Rating||Rating Pending +|
|Summary||A race of immortal playful humanoid fey from the Karanoa, a misty lost forest. +|