Phylaxian (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
One of the many surviving experiments of the Sarrukh (Serpent Kingdoms, Faerûn campaign setting), a half serpent, half human race.
The personality of the Phylaxian depends mostly upon whether found within the caravans of the desert or in solitude of the forests. Both are a peaceful in mindset, but are willing to defend family and home from onslaught. A desert phylaxian is generally more aloof than their cousins, but this is more of a ploy, due to their need to be merchants to keep the caravan alive and moving. Their forest cousins are more distant, having been more cut off from the rest of the world for a long time.
All phylaxians have a humanoid upper body conjoined to the long, sinuous tail of a snake at the hip, without humanoid legs. The phylaxian comes in two colors. The forest phylaxian has generally more pale to lightly tan skin, and their scales are in hues of green and brown. The desert phylaxian has more darker skin, and tan, white and orange in their scales. All phylaxians have yellow snake-slitted eyes. Those of the forests tend to wear dark, full body clothing to help with surprising prey, while those of the desert favor lighter and thinner clothing to fend off the harmful sun. Males are noticably taller and heavier than females, with an average height around 6 feet, and weight around 200lbs.
All phylaxians are distant and distrustful of any non-phylaxian who has not earned their trust, and they are unwilling to give out such trust unless the outsider has proven worthy to be trusted. The only exception is of their servile Ophidian cousins, who they welcome if the ophidian had chosen a master within the tribe.
Any, but they tend to follow M'daess, the snake mother, into the NG alignment. Adventurers of this race tend towards any alignment regardless.
The Phylaxians call both the dense jungle and the arid desert home, albeit not at the same time, due to their ancestors settling within those two places. And so they can still be found in their tree houses within the forest, or in their nomadic caravans travelling the deserts.
Like their once Sarrukh masters, they follow the World Serpent, more specifically the fragment of it named M'daess. They are known to periodically participate in sacrifice, with the sacrifice either a willing outsider or one of their own, in order to please the World Serpent.
Phylaxians speak Common and Sarrukhar. Desert phylaxians dabble within a few other languages to make commerce easier, while forest phylaxians may pick up a language or two from native woodsmen and women.
Phylaxians tend to have long names, punctuated with one or more apostrophes, similar to Sarrukh names. Desert phylaxians tend to adopt partial mixes of their racial names and names found within cities they visit, in order to have more pronouncable names when they deal with customers and other traders.
- +2 Dex or +2 Cha, -2 Int: Charming and dextrous, but Sarrukh experimentation has dulled their wits.
- Monstrous Humanoid
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a phylaxian has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Phylaxian base land speed is 30 feet. They also have a climb speed 1/2 their base speed.
- Darkvision: A phylaxian can see in the dark up to 60ft feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a phylaxian can function just fine with no light at all.
- Monstrous Form: Phylaxians pay the nonhumanoid cost for armor. Their magic item body slots remain the same, save that boots and footwear are replaced with tail bands and tail cuffs.
- Phylaxians have a primary tail slap attack (1d6) and a secondary bite attack (1d4)
- Poison (Ex): Bite, injury, Fortitude DC 10+1/2HD+Cha mod. Desert does 1d4 Con damage. Forest does 1d4 Str damage. The damage is from the initial bite, then again 1 minute later.
- Constrict (Ex): A phylaxian, against a Medium or smaller creature with which it connects with its tail slap, can wrap its tail around the creature as a free action and a grapple check which doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity. The constriction does 1d6+Str mod damage each turn a successful grapple check is made.
- Due to their previous creation having been made to serve, phylaxians suffer a -4 penalty against compulsion effects.
- Phylaxians treat the improvised chain weapon as a martial weapon.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Sarrukhar
- Bonus Languages: Desert: Any; Forest: Sylvan, Elvan
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|50 years||80 years||115 years||+2d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5' 0"||+2d12||160 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||4' 6"||+2d8||110 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Any +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Dex or +2 Cha + and -2 Int +|
|Summary||One of the many surviving experiments of the Sarrukh (Serpent Kingdoms, Faerûn campaign setting), a half serpent, half human race. +|
|Type||Monstrous Humanoid +|