Polar Elf (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Polar elves are a very small race of elves that mainly lives up in the high north. Having been terrorized for many centuries by the immortal and strangely jolly dark lord Clause, many of the polar elves toil in labor camps under highly adverse conditions.
Polar elves are hardy, inventive, resilient, and have a strong sense of solidarity with each other. The gross exploitation they have suffered by their dark lord has hardened them and made them inured to hard work and indentured servitude. Though many of the polar elves come over as highly sardonic, their loyalty to their kin and never-give-up attitude will see them through any hardship.
As a subspecies of elf, polar elves have pointed ears and somewhat angular facial features, however while most elves are long and thin, polar elves are very short and their work regiment tends to make them grow up a little on the stocky side. Many polar elves favor green clothing, though whether that is a conscious fashion choice or perhaps a silent rebellion against the red and white death armor favored by their dark lord is not known.
Polar elves generally do not spread out across the world, and as such they have limited contact with outside races. Of the major races, they get along best with gnomes and dwarves due to the shared interest in handicraft, and they established mutually beneficial trade agreements with nearby human settlements. Ironically, they don't get along with most kinds of other elves much.
Despite their living conditions, polar elves are quite accustomed to colder climates.
Polar elves are generally not very religious. Their day to day schedule leaves little room for worshipping gods. However, it is not rare for them to turn to Gods whose blessings aid in their work.
Polar elves speak the language of their dark lord, common.
Polar elves usually have short names of one or two syllables. Calling out long names during work is a time loss. Example names are 'Sprout', 'Flake', 'Skeeter', 'Trip' and other such short, catchy names.
- -2 Strength, +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma: Being small, they aren't quite as strong as the average human or dwarf, but having hard work down to a near-genetic imperative, polar elves are resilient and enduring. They have a natural intelligence and affinity for the industrial process, but their gruff and sardonic attitudes make it harder to establish dialog with other races.
- Humanoid (Elf)
- Small: As a Small creature, a polar elf gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –4 size penalty on special attack (bull rushes, grapples, overruns, and trips) checks, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Polar Elf base land speed is 20 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A polar elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Handicrafter: Polar elves have a natural affinity for working swiftly and precisely with their hands and following clear instructions. They have a +2 racial bonus on all Appraise, Craft and Knowledge (architecture an engineering) checks, and these three skills are always class skills. Furthermore, repetition makes perfect. A polar elf that makes the exact same type of object 10 times gets a +2
sweat shopcompetence bonus to Craft skills involving that type of object. This bonus increases to +4 after making 100, and to +6 after making 1,000. It continues to increase as such with every factor 10.
- Aspect of Artifice: Once per day plus an additional time for every character level divisible by 6, a polar elf can channel magic that creates or alters nonliving matter. Depending on the polar elf's character level, he may choose from the following spell-like abilities: 1st—mending; 3th—make whole; 6th—create food and water; 9th—major creation, 12th—fabricate; 15th—hardening; 18th—true creation (XP cost reduced by a factor five).
- Helper's Little Helper (Sp): A polar elf has a strange imaginary familiar only they can see. The helper functions as an unseen servant with unlimited duration that can be summoned or unsummoned at will. The helper's helper can be restored to life as a full-round action if it is ever dispelled or killed.
- A polar elf has level 1 cold protection (see cold dangers).
- Polar elves have a +4 racial bonus to Will saves against compulsion effects.
- Automatic Languages: Common
- Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Gnome
- Favored Class: Rogue or Wizard
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||' "||+||lb.||× () lb.|
|Female||' "||+||lb.||× () lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Rogue + and Wizard +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||-2 Strength +, +2 Constitution +, +2 Intelligence + and -2 Charisma +|
|Summary||These industrious, very short-statured humanoids are great at craftsmanship under adverse working conditions. +|
|Title||Polar Elf +|