Shower of Arrows (3.5e Optimized Character Build)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Shoot a barrage of arrows every round, adding Skirmish damage to each of them all the while keeping full skirmish damage and a high BAB.
- Flaws (Unearthed Arcana)
- Complete Adventurer
- Complete Scoundrel
- Complete Warrior
- Magic Item Compendium
- Races of the Wild
- Complete Mage
Game Rule Components
Starting Ability Scores (Before Racial Adjustments): (Assuming 32 Point Buy) 10 18 14 14 10 8
Race (Templates): Elf (Wild)
|Saving Throws||Feats|| Class
|1st||Scout 1||+0||+0||+2||+0||Point-Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Expeditious Dodge||Skirmish +1d6, Trapfinding|
|2nd||Scout 2||+1||+0||+3||+0||Battle Fortitude +1, Uncanny Dodge|
|3rd||Scout 3||+2||+1||+3||+1||Weapon Focus: Longbow||Fast Movement +10', Skirmish +1d6/+1 AC, Trackless Step|
|4th||Ranger 1||+3||+3||+5||+1||Track||Arcane Hunter, Wild Empathy|
|5th||Scout 4||+4||+3||+6||+1||Swift Hunter||Favored Enemy: Undead, Skirmish +2d6/+1 AC|
|6th||Ranger 2||+5||+4||+7||+1||Improved Skirmish, Rapid Shot|
|7th||Ranger 3||+6||+4||+7||+2||Endurance||Skirmish +2d6/+2 AC|
|8th||Ranger 4||+7||+5||+8||+2||Animal Companion|
|9th||Ranger 5||+8||+5||+8||+2||Mobility||Skirmish +3d6/+2 AC|
|10th||Ranger 6||+9||+6||+9||+3||Manyshot||Favored Enemy: Constructs|
|11th||Ranger 7||+10||+6||+9||+3||Skirmish +3d6/+3 AC, Woodland Stride|
|12th||Ranger 8||+11||+7||+10||+3||Greater Manyshot||Swift Tracker||Build reaches full potential|
|13th||Ranger 9||+12||+7||+10||+4||Evasion, Skirmish +4d6/+3 AC|
|15th||Ranger 11||+14||+8||+11||+4||Elusive Target, Improved Precise Shot||Favored Enemy: Oozes, Skirmish +4d6/+4 AC|
|17th||Ranger 13||+16||+9||+12||+5||Camouflage, Skirmish +5d6/+4 AC|
|18th||Ranger 14||+17||+10||+13||+5||Woodland Archer|
|19th||Ranger 15||+18||+10||+13||+6||Skirmish +5d6/+5 AC|
|20th||Ranger 16||+19||+11||+14||+6||Favored Enemy: Elementals|
At level 20: Scout 4 / Ranger 16
Items of Note
- Goggles of Foefinding (Get this ASAP to ignore soft cover)
- Boost Wisdom at higher levels with an item to get access to your spells
- Skirmisher Boots allow you to add extra skirmish damage, as well as get an extra attack after skirmishing twice per day.
- Use Greater Manyshot to add Skirmish damage to each arrow, firing all arrows as a Standard Action after moving.
- Assumed stats at level 20:
- Dex: 18 (Base) + 2 (Racial) + 5 (Level) + 6 (Item) + 5 (Tome) = 36 (+13)
- Attack Bonus: 19 (BAB) + 13 (Dex) + 1 (Weapon Focus) + 5 (Magic) + 1 (Point Blank Shot) - 8 (Greater Manyshot) = +31/+31/+31/+31
- Damage: 1d8 (Arrow) + 5d6+5 (Magic) + 5d6 (Skirmish) + 2d6 (Improved Skirmish) + 1 (Point Blank Shot) = 1d8+12d6+6
- Total damage per attack comes out to 52.5 (on average). Should all attacks hit, that's 210 damage, or 126 damage when weighted against an AC of 40.
- Move, then use Greater Manyshot to attack foes in range, adding Skirmish damage to every arrow.
- Keep foes within 30' for skirmish damage, and move at least 40' per round to gain +2 to AC from Expeditious Dodge.
- Replace Woodland Archer or Elusive Target with Dead Eye (Dragon Compendium) to add your Dexterity modifier to damage or with Sword of the Arcane Order (Champions of Valor) to prepare arcane spells.
- Pick up a strength-enhancing item and a Composite Longbow.
- Pick up a wand of Hunter's Eye (PHB2) and have someone cast Greater Invisibility upon you to add even more damage.
- Pick up a wand of Hunter's Mercy (Spell Compendium) for an automatic critical on your next attack the following round.
- Enchant your bow instead with the Splitting enhancement (Champions of Ruin) to lose 2d6 damage but double attacks.
- Gloves of Agile Striking (MIC) will increase your skirmish damage by 3d6 twice per day.
- Creatures immune to Skirmish (though Favored Enemy through Swift Hunter should help)
- Defenses apart from AC (illusions, concealment, etc)
- Keep enemies at a distance greater than 30' so they can't be affected by Skirmish.
- If you don't care for Ranger spells, take the Champion of the Wild alternative class feature in Complete Champion for more feats.
|Article Balance||Moderate +|
|Final Class Progression||Scout 4 / Ranger 16 +|
|Identifier||3.5e Optimized Character Build +|
|Summary||Shoot a barrage of arrows every round, adding Skirmish damage to each of them all the while keeping full skirmish damage and a high BAB. +|
|Title||Shower of Arrows +|