Slime (3.5e Subtype)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Slimes are self-contained oozes with a very viscous and adhesive body structure, ranging from very sticky to incredibly bouncy. Unlike most oozes, slimes are sentient and some of the larger species boast a humanlike intellect. Regardless, all slimes are similarly impaired by their gelatinous nature, and default to a squashed teardrop shape. Slimes can eat almost everything and exist practically everywhere, but most gravitate to subterranean habitats where their blindsight gives them a significant edge against any would be beginning adventurer looking for easy XP.
A slime creature possesses the traits from its ooze type, except that they are not mindless or blind, and are not immune to sight-based special attacks. They also gain the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).
- Damage reduction/slashing.
- Slow: A slime has a base land speed of 15 feet and cannot run. It does not incur penalties to its Jump checks due to its slow speed.
- Bouncy (Ex): A slime's bounciness gives it a +4 racial bonus to Jump checks and a deflection bonus to AC equal to its Charisma bonus. Slimes have no vertical Jump limit and may make vertical jumps of up to half their check result in feet. As a move action, a slime may make a Jump check and move that many feet in a straight line, or half that distance in a vertical line. A slime may chain its jumps to jump further and higher; every time a slime jumps right after finishing a previous jump, it gains a cumulative +2 competence bonus to its Jump check (maximum +10). A jump chain ends as soon as a slime takes a standard action of any sort.
- Squish (Ex): When a slime gets reduced to 0 hit points, it explodes in a gooey paste that covers everything within 5 feet plus an additional 5 feet per 4 Hit Dice the slime has. This remaining substance has one or more special properties; see the individual creature listing for more details.
- Attack: Slimes attack by slamming their full weight into their target: they have a Slam attack to which they apply 1½ times their Strength bonus and often creates some special kind of additional effect, as described on the creature's entry.
Slime Subtype Creatures
The following creatures have the Slime subtype: