Wastecrawler (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Wastecrawlers have twelve limbs extending from the sides of their elongated torsos. Only the foremost six limbs have opposable digits, though when traveling they often use all twelve limbs to walk. They are very broad-shouldered, with heads that, when compared to those of humans, seem elongated and slightly flattened. Their skin runs the same range of colors as human skin, but they have no hair or fur. They have large black eyes and wide mouths. They have no noses, instead having just nostrils, and instead of having ears they sense sound through their skin. Wastecrawler arms and legs are long and thin, with hands and feet that have six digits spread radially from the palms. The digits of wastecrawler feet are shorter and stubbier than the fingers, with small claws to help with traction. Reproduction is through external fertilization, the females laying large insect-like eggs. Wastecrawler metabolism is very slow, since life in wastelands means they must sometimes go for a long time without food or water. This leads to slow movement and reflexes, however.
Generally, wastecrawlers don't bother other races, and are not bothered by them. However, when they do interact with other races, they are generally very friendly and curious. They usually are very understanding and seek to please, sometimes even content to live with the other races as something akin to an intelligent pet.
Wastecrawlers, largely being denizens of the wastelands, are rarely influenced by civilized laws and morals, therefore tending toward neutral alignments. When wastecrawlers are exposed to civilization, they usually tend towards good alignments, being friendly and accommodating.
Wastecrawlers are best suited to barren lands, and are most comfortable in large, quiet, open spaces. Rarely do they get into conflicts over land, be it with other groups of wastecrawlers or with other races. They are perfectly happy to coexist with other races in the same territory, since they are small, quiet, and generally do not require many resources.
Wastecrawlers usually do not bother with religion, and in many cases are totally unfamiliar with the concept. When they do choose a deity, it is usually one of travel, deserts, or nature.
Wastecrawlers speak their own language, which shares its name with the race. The name of the race in their native language has no translation to common, and so they became known simply as wastecrawlers among common-speaking races. In the wastecrawler language, there is no name for the language itself, hence its sharing a name with the race in the common tongue. Wastecrawlers are very quick to learn new languages.
Wastecrawlers typically have only one name, with no family or middle names. Their names can be any length, but are usually very simple, lacking in diphthongs or hard consonants.
- -2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom: Wastecrawlers are perceptive of the world around them, but are not very quick or agile.
- Monstrous Humanoid: Wastecrawlers are by no means normal humanoids, and are thus categorized as monstrous.
- Small Hexapod: As a small hexapod, a wastecrawler gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are equal to those of a Medium character.
- Wastecrawler base land speed is 15 feet.
- Tremorsense (Ex): Wastecrawlers have tremorsense out to 15 ft. If they are deafened, this ability is nonfunctional for as long as they are deaf.
- Lingual Aptitude (Ex): Speak Language is always a class skill for a wastecrawler.
- Slow Metabolism (Ex): A wastecrawler can go without water for a number of days equal to his constitution score, and can go without food for a number of days equal to three times his constitution score. After these periods, they must make the saves against nonlethal damage normally.
- Multiple Limbs: Wastecrawlers have six arms, and thus can take the Multiweapon Fighting feat instead of the Two-Weapon Fighting feat. (This is not a bonus feat.)
- Racial Hit Dice: A wastecrawler begins with two levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 2d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +2, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +0, Ref +3, and Will +3.
- Racial Skills: A wastecrawler’s monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 5 × (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Climb, Diplomacy, Listen, Search, Speak Language, Spot, Survival, and Swim. Its many arms and legs give it a +4 racial bonus on Climb and Swim checks.
- Racial Feats: A wastecrawler’s monstrous humanoid levels give it one feat.
- Automatic Languages: Wastecrawler.
- Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages such as Druidic).
- Favored Class: Ranger
- Level Adjustment: +2
- Effective Character Level: 4
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|56 years||84 years||112 years||+3d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||2' 1"||+2d10||37 lb.||× (2d3) lb.|
|Female||1' 10"||+2d12||26 lb.||× (2d3) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||4 +|
|Favored Class||Ranger +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||2 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||-2 Dexterity + and +2 Wisdom +|
|Summary||Many-limbed creatures that are at home in the wastelands. +|
|Type||Monstrous Humanoid +|