Ancient Yellow Dragon (5e Monster)
|Ancient Yellow Dragon|
|Gargantuan dragon (chromatic dragon), chaotic neutral|
|Armor Class: 27 (natural armor)|
|Hit Points: 367 (21d20+147)|
|Speed: 40 ft., fly 120 ft.|
|Saving Throws: Dex +13, Con +11, Wis +12, Cha +11|
|Skills: Perception +11, Stealth +13|
|Damage Immunity: radiant|
|Senses: blindsight 120 ft., darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 21|
|Languages: Common, Draconic|
|Challenge: 22 (41,000 xp)|
| Dexterous. The dragon treats any melee attack as a finesse weapon attack.
Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If the dragon fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
Multiattack. the dragon can use its Frightful Presence. It then makes three attacks: one with its bite and two with its claws.
Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (2d6+7) slashing damage.
Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 20 ft., one target. Hit: 16 (2d8+7) bludgeoning damage.
Frightful Presence. Each creature of the dragon’s choice that is within 120 feet of the dragon and aware of it must succeed on a DC 19 Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature’s saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the dragon’s Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.
Radiant Breath (Recharge 5-6). The dragon exhales a radiant beam in a 90-foot line that is 10 feet wide. Each creature in that line must make a DC 22 Dexterity saving throw, taking 67 (15d8) radiant damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Creatures that failed the save are also blinded for 1 minute.
The dragon can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn. The dragon regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
Tail Attack. The dragon makes a tail attack.
Wing Attack (Costs 2 Actions). The dragon beats its wings. Each creature within 15 feet of the dragon must succeed on a DC 22 Dexterity saving throw or take 15 (2d6+7) bludgeoning damage and be knocked prone. The dragon can then fly up to half its flying speed.
Ancient Yellow Dragon's Lair
Adult yellow dragons lair in high mountains, deserts, or arctic planes. It usually avoids caves and other indoor locations, preferring to bask in the sun. Younger dragons will burrow into the ground while it sleeps, but reemerge when awake.
Yellow dragons do not collect treasure, but will collect trophies from especially powerful or cunning foes. These will often be arranged into complex patterns which's meaning and beauty are likely to be misunderstood by other creatures.
While remote, a yellow dragon's lair will often have plinths that were gifted to the dragon and gifts strewn about the boundary by supplicants to the dragon.
On initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties), the dragon takes a lair action to cause one of the following effects; the dragon can’t use the same effect two rounds in a row:
- Crystals erupts from an unoccupied point on the ground the dragon can see within 120 feet of it, creating a 20-foot-high, 5-foot-radius pillar of crystal that emits an unearthly bright light in a 20-foot-radius. Each creature in the effected area must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw, taking 21 (6d6) radiant damage and be blinded on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
- A tremor shakes the lair in a 60-foot radius around the dragon. Each creature other than the dragon on the ground in that area must succeed on a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw or be knocked prone. In this area tiny crystals emerge from the ground making the area difficult terrain for creatures smaller than huge.
- A ultra-bright light streaks down from the heavens in a 20-foot-radius column centered on a point the dragon can see within 120 feet of it. Any creature, except the dragon, who have darkvision must make a DC 18 Constitution saving throw. Those that fail are blinded until initiative round 20 of the next turn and unable to use their darkvision for 24 hours.
The region containing an ancient yellow dragon’s lair is warped by the creature’s magic, which creates one or more of the following effects:
- Small earthquakes are common within 6 miles of the dragon’s lair producing crystal outcroppings.
- Days are unusually clear and bright within 10 mile of the lair. It is never dark in this area, being at worst dim light.
- Creatures within 1 mile of the dragon's lair that are exposed to sunlight have a 5% chance (check once per day) of suffering sunstroke, being poisoned until they spend 24 hours out of direct sunlight.
If the dragon dies, these effects fade over the course of 1d10 days.
Yellow dragons are fully described in the article Yellow Dragon (5e Monster).
|Alignment||Chaotic Neutral +|
|Challenge Rating||22 +|
|Experience Points||41,000 +|
|Features||Dexterous +, Legendary Resistance (3/Day) +, Multiattack +, Bite +, Claw +, Tail +, Frightful Presence +, Radiant Breath (Recharge 5-6) +, Detect +, Tail Attack + and Wing Attack (Costs 2 Actions) +|
|Has Lair||true +|
|Hit Dice||21d20+147 +|
|Hit Points||367 +|
|Identifier||5e Monster +|
|Legendary Monster||true +|
|SortText||Dragon Yellow Ancient SRD5 +|
|Subtype||Chromatic Dragon +|
|Title||Ancient Yellow Dragon +|