Ball & Chain (3.5e Equipment)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Ball & Chain
Exotic Two-Handed Melee
1. See Damage Increases by Size to calculate the damage for a weapon larger than Medium or smaller than Small.
2. Weight figures are for Medium weapons. A Small weapon weighs half as much, and a Large weapon weighs twice as much.
3. When two types are given, the weapon is both types if the entry specifies "and", either type (player's choice at time of attack) if the entry specifies "or", or each end of the double weapon is a different type if the entry specifies "/".
4. The hp value given is for Medium armor, weapons, and shields. Divide by 2 for each size category of the item smaller than Medium, or multiply it by 2 for each size category larger than Medium.
The ball & chain is a military flail with a single heavy steel ball on the end of a chain with a handle. It's difficult and unwieldy to use, and those who use it while not proficient hit themselves on a natural 1. You take a -2 penalty on attack rolls while using a ball & chain (this stacks with the nonproficiency penalty).
Those who are proficient with the ball & chain gain the use of several tactical abilities:
- Heavy Impact: If you have the Power Attack feat, you can use Heavy Impact. By taking at least a -2 penalty with Power Attack, you gain the normal benefits of the feat and you may also bull rush your target on a successful hit, without provoking attacks of opportunity. You do not move with the target of your bull rush.
- Spinning Defense: When taking the total defense action, you spin your weapon around you as a deterrent. Opponents attacking you take a -4 penalty to their attacks. If an opponent attacks you in melee, they may choose to ignore the penalty, but will automatically be struck by your weapon for normal damage. Ranged attackers cannot choose to ignore the penalty.
- Whirlwind: As a full attack action, you can strike all creatures within your reach as if you had the Whirlwind Attack feat.
The ball & chain has reach, so you can strike opponents 10 feet away with it. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, it can be used against an adjacent foe.
You can also use this weapon to make trip attacks. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the ball & chain to avoid being tripped.
Back to Main Page → 3.5e Homebrew → Equipment → Weapons
|Cost||100 gp +|
|Damage Type||Bludgeoning +|
|Hit Points||20 +|
|Identifier||3.5e Equipment +|
|Rated By||Leziad +|
|Rating||Rating Pending +|
|Title||Ball & Chain +|