Control Undead, GT Variant (3.5e Spell)
From Dungeons and Dragons Wiki
Rate this article
Discuss this article
|Cleric 7, Sorcerer/Wizard 7
|V, S, M
|1 standard action
|Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
|One or more undead creatures, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart
|One day/level or Instantaneous (see text)
|Will negates; see text
This spell functions as command undead except as noted above and below.
- You can control the actions of any undead through a telepathic link that you establish with the subject. You know what the subject is experiencing, but you do not receive direct sensory input from it, nor can it communicate with you telepathically. The undead does not need to share a language or be able to hear or see you to understand its commands.
- Once control is established, the range at which it can be exercised is unlimited, as long as you and the undead are on the same plane. You need not see the subject to control it.
- Once you have given the undead a command, they continue to attempt to carry out that command to the exclusion of all other activities except those necessary for day-to-day survival. Because of this limited range of activity, a Sense Motive check against DC 15 (rather than DC 25) can determine that the undead’s behavior is being influenced by a spell effect (see the Sense Motive skill description).
- You need not make opposed charisma checks, the undead simply obey you. Intelligent and powerful (HD equal to or greater than your caster level) undead may resist control (via opposed charisma checks) and get a +5 bonus to resist self-destructive orders. Undead with less HD than your caster level cannot resist commands.
- Changing your instructions or giving the undead a new command is the equivalent of redirecting a spell, so it is a move action.
- By concentrating fully on the spell (a standard action), you can receive full sensory input as if you were in the undead's place, using its senses of course.
- Control undead affects a number of creatures whose combined HD do not exceed twice your level, or at least one creature regardless of HD. If there are more potential targets than you can affect, you choose them one at a time until you choose a creature with too many HD.
- If you have both this and command undead as spells known or in your spellbook, control undead allows you to control twice as many undead (4HD per caster level) and command undead grants a +5 bonus on the opposed Charisma checks.
- The spell lasts for 1 day per level normally, but during the casting you can make the decision to add the affected undead to your normal undead control pool (see animate dead for details).
- If you don’t spend at least 30 minutes concentrating on the spell each day, the undead (if intelligent) receives a new saving throw to throw off the control.
Material Component: A small piece of bone and a small piece of raw meat.
Facts about "Control Undead, GT Variant (3.5e Spell)"
|Grog toad +
|V +, S + and M +
|3.5e Spell +
|Cleric 7 + and Sorcerer/Wizard 7 +
|Controlling undead is not, not, NOT LAME! +
|Control Undead, GT Variant +