Feywing (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Based on the popular idea of a fairy, as influenced by Disney’s Tinkerbell.
Feywings are cheerful, intense, and apt to rely on magic. A Feywing will happily spend decades acting on a sudden whim.
While Feywings have widely varied goals even within a given community their appreciation and respect for each other leads them to avoid conflict with each other. This is also how they interact with outsiders, assuming that the outsiders cooperate. Feywings who find themselves in combat prefer to keep their distance and cast spells.
Feywings stand about 1 foot tall and weigh from 5 to 7 pounds. They fly on insect-like wings that reach above their heads. A Feywing otherwise resembles some combination of human, elf, gnome, and/or halfling; the details varying from Feywing to Feywing.
Feywings have the same reaction to all creatures they meet: genuine admiration. This admiration is not dimmed in the slightest while opposing attempts to interfere with the Feywings whims, nor when getting around any restrictions the creature might be attempting to apply. This makes them willing to listen politely to anyone, no matter how hostile or disgusting their past, or current, actions. They are nevertheless sometimes admiringly defending themselves against creatures they've admiringly infuriated.
Feywings tend to be Chaotic Neutral. While they like company, they are reluctant to restrain themselves or others.
Feywing build communities in locations not accessible to larger and nonflying creatures. The sites of longstanding communities will have been heavily modified using magic. Feywings might live in almost any climate or terrain.
Feywings worship deities of magic, freedom, magic, elements (especially air/wind), magic, seasons, magic, the moon and/or stars, and magic. Feywing religious ceremonies tend to be invented on the spot. Hasty and ill-considered promises to some deity which the Feywing then keeps regardless of consequences (or the deity's wishes) are quite common.
Feywings speak Sylvan and Common.
Female Names: Laurelai Rumpledale, Liri Whifflewish, Apple Swiftripple, Chestnut Firespark, Freesia Brightspice, Ezra Parsleyfly, Bryla Islandlashes, Hickoy Falconfall, Dandelion Seafur, Jewel Darkfreeze
Male Names: Acorn Moonfruit, Aven Cloudglow, Elm Hazeldash, Magpie Bramblegarden, Cloud Sweetnut, Bumble Tulipbush, Timothy Mossshadow, Indigo Shimmerswamp, North Catfalls, Canyon Lotuswort More names can be found at fantasynamegenerators.com/fairy_names.php#.Vu1YCOQo7IV
- -6 Strength (minimum 1), +4 Dexterity, -2 Constitution (minimum 1), +2 Charisma
- Fey ():
- Tiny: As a Tiny creature, a Feywing gains a +2 size bonus to Armor Class, a +2 size bonus on attack rolls, a –8 size penalty on special attack (bull rushes, grapples, overruns, and trips) checks, and a +8 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are one-half of those of a Medium character. Furthermore, as a tiny creature, a Feywing has a default space of 2 and 1/2 feet and 0 feet of reach.
- Feywing base land speed is 5 feet: climb speed 5 feet.
- Sporadic Flight (Su): 20 feet (perfect). A feywing can fly at a speed of 20 feet (perfect maneuverability) for one round at at time. Once the feywing has done so, she can’t do so again until one minute later. (Note that Medium or Heavy Encumbrance will reduces flight speed in the same manner that it reduces ground speed.)
- Featherlight Perching(Su): A conscious feywing who is being perched on and/or being carried by an creature does not count against the creature’s encumbrance limits. Similarly, a conscious feywing who is perched on an object or surface is ignored when determining the amount of weight on that object or surface.
- This ability may be turned on or off as a free or immediate action.
- This ability may be turned on or off as a free or immediate action.
- Featherlight Nimbleness(Su): A conscious feywing uses her Dexterity modifier instead of her Strength modifier for Climb, Jump and Swim checks.
- Low-Light Vision: A feywing can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Aura (Su): A feywing has a moderate aura of magic, discernable by detect magicand other such means. This assumes 2 hit dice from her racial HD. If her effective hit dice for this purpose are increased to 5 or higher, the aura becomes strong; if they are increased to 11 or higher, the aura becomes overwhelming; if they are decreased to 1, the aura becomes faint; if they are decreased to 0, there is no aura. Most class levels do not count towards this aura. She may choose the school of this aura, and may change the school as a free action.
- Faerie Glow (Sp): As the 0th level spell Faerie Glow, usable at will.
- Light Eater: Feywings consume only a 20th as much food as a human to avoid starvation, only a 20th as much water as a human to avoid dehydration, and only a 20th as much air as a human to avoid suffocation.
- Iron Vulnerability (Ex): A feywing who takes damage from a cold iron source suffers the following penalties until the end of her next round:
- She takes a -4 non-cumulative penalty to Dexterity (to a minimum of 1).
- Her supernatural ability to fly is suppressed for 1 round.
- Her featherlight perch, featherlight falling, featherlight nimbleness, faerie glow, and spell boost abilities are suppressed for 1 round.
A feywing who actually wears cold iron (such as cold iron manacles) suffers these penalties for as long as the cold iron is worn.
- Fragile (Ex): When a feywing takes damage that includes a Strength bonus, the damage is increased by an amount equal to half the Strength bonus. If such an attack uses a weapon (including an improvised weapon, but not a natural weapon or unarmed strike), it is further increased by half the weight of the weapon in pounds. A projectile weapon (such as a sling or mighty bow) uses the weight of the projectile for this purpose.
- Spell Boost (Su): A feywing can boost a spell as a swift or immediate action. Once the feywing has done so, she can’t do so again until 5 minutes later. This boosts a single spell or spell-like ability, either one which the feywing is casting or one of which the dweomering is the target or one of the targets. A spell so boosted has its spell level increased by one (to a maximum of half the feywing’s total level, rounded up), and its caster level increased by two (to a maximum of the feywing’s total level).
- Automatic Languages: Common and Sylvan.
- Bonus Languages: Auran, Aquan, Terran, Gnome, Goblin, and Elven.
- Racial Hit Die: A feywing’s fey levels provide her 2d6 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +1, and base saving throws of Fort +0, Reflex +3, and Will +3.
- Racial Skills: A feywing’s fey levels give her skill points equal to 6 x (2+Int modifier). Her class skills are Concentration, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, and Survival.
- Racial Feats: A feywing’s fey levels give her one feat.
- Favored Class: Sorcerer
- Effective Character Level: 2
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|275 years||415 years||550 years||+5d% years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Female||0' 10"||+1d3||4 lb.||× (1) lb.|
|Male||0' 10"||+1d3||4 lb.||× (1) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||2 +|
|Favored Class||Sorcerer +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||-6 Strength +, +4 Dexterity +, -2 Constitution + and +2 Charisma +|
|Rated By||Neostar +, Ganteka Future +, Eiji-kun + and Undead Knave +|
|Rating||Rated 1 / 4 +|
|Summary||Based on the popular idea of a fairy, as influenced by Disney’s Tinkerbell. +|