Giff (5e Race)
|This is a Homebrew version. An official version is available in the publication UA 2021 Travelers of the Multiverse|
|This article is about Giff, 5th ed. Race.|
|For other uses of Giff, see Giff (disambiguation).|
of the Giff monster.
|“||If you like loud bangs and flashes of light, the giff may be your best friend ... unless they are on the other side of the battlefield!||”|
|—Hyson the Brash, Speech to the Valstauti Regulars, 3rd month 19th year of the reign of King Golgarii|
The giff appear to humans as hippopotamus-headed humanoids.
|Humans and Halflings view the Giff as pompus, brash, and loud.|
Elves see as needlessly destructive, and uncaring of nature and magic.
Most every giff has served in the military either in a grand army or as part of a mercenary organization. In fact, their whole culture is built around military service. Every giff has a rank from birth, which they strive to be worthy to promoted above. They love the excitement of battle and the glory it affords. One is lucky if one can escape from an old giff without hearing an hour's worth of war stories.
They work best if there is a obvious chain of command, obeying their superiors and expecting those under their command to obey. They seem uncomfortable and to socially flounder without a hierarchy to guide them.
Most giff view magic warfare as dishonorable. Magic outside of war is unworthy of the Giff, time better spent in a military career. That is not to say that there are no giff cleric or wizards, but they are rare.
Giff adventurers may be on special assignment from their command. They may be disgraced and discharged from service, looking for validation. They may be spellcasters, and feel unwelcome in giff society.
- Creature Type. Humanoid
- Ability Score Increase. Strength +2, Constitution +1
- Age. If a giff does not die from violence, it has a lifespan of roughly 60 years, maturing at the age of 10.
- Alignment. Most giff are Lawful Neutral. But all alignments can be found in the species.
- Size. Giff average over 7 feet tall and can easily top 500 lbs. Your size is Medium.
- Speed. Your base speed is 30 ft. feet.
- Firearms Knowledge. Giff are proficient with the use of the Musket, Pistol, and Fragmentation Grenade. They also ignore the Loading property of these weapons. A giff character starts with either a pistol or musket; 10 bullets, and one gunpowder powder horn in addition to their normal starting equipment. (see Dungeon Master's Guide (5e) p.268)
- Militant. All giff have at one time or another served in military service. They have proficiency in one of the following skills: History, Intimidation, Stealth, or Survival
- Gunpowder Knowledge. Giff may apply their proficiency bonus to Arcana skill checks (if not already proficient in Arcana) when trying to make or handle gunpowder.
- Headlong Charge. The giff can use its movement and action to try to knock a creature over; if the giff moves at least 20 feet in a straight line that ends within 5 feet of a Large or smaller creature, that creature must succeed on a DC 14 Strength saving throw or take 2d6 bludgeoning damage and be knocked prone. Once this action is taken, it may not be attempted again until the giff finishes a short or long rest.
- Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common.
Random Height and Weight
|Height & Weight|
|Species||Base Height||Height Mod||Base Weight||Weight Mod||Average|
|Giff||6' 6"||+2d8||400 lbs.||x (2d8) lbs.||7' 3", 517 lbs.|
Sources and Notes
- Unofficial Conversion of the Giff monster from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes into a playable race.
|Ability Mods||Str +2 + and Con +1 +|
|Features||Age +, Alignment +, Size +, Speed +, Firearms Knowledge +, Militant +, Gunpowder Knowledge +, Headlong Charge + and Languages +|
|Identifier||5e Race +|
|Is Race||true +|
|Summary||Militant Hippo-people with guns. +|