Half-Giant, Non-Psyonic (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Half-giants, for the most part, retain human sensibilities. They are curious, interested in cooperation and communication, and have a general tendency towards kindness. (Of course there are exceptions.) They are quick to pick up the morals, customs, and habits of the areas in which they settle.
Half-giants possess the blood of humans and giants. Though closer to human than giants in size, their stature can't be ignored. Half-giants typically stand 7 feet to nearly 8 feet tall and weigh from 250 to 400 pounds, with men noticeably taller and heavier than women. Most half-giants hair and eyes tend to favor the colors of their giant parents, though in duller hues.
Most other humanoid are put off by half-giants due to their abnormally large size. In fact, many are first taken for young (if strangely well-groomed) hill giants. Upon getting past their initial trepidation, however, most other humanoids find half-giants of good alignment to be outgoing, kind creatures.
Half-giants recently settled in deepest part of the hot deserts to the south. Of the land they came from, half-giants speak little, other than to say that where they live is similar to where they once toiled.
Half-giants, as a rule, have a particular disdain for religion, sometimes going out of their way to speak badly of a deity. It's not that they don't believe in deities, but that they don't believe a deity always has the best interests of it's worshipers at heart. Individual half-giants have enough courtesy and sensibility to keep their observations to themselves when in the company of a good companion with pious inclinations. A few half-giants even take up the cloth themselves.
Half-giants have a childhood name and a given name, the latter usually bestowed by friends or by the community in which the half-giant originally grew up. Most half-giant names reflect some aspect of the desert land that the half-giants inhabit, though a few strange place names are also thrown in (apparently remembered from their former homes of long ago).
Male Given Names: Sandking, Dunewalker, Sunharrower, Drywell, Stormrider, Desertstrider, Saltwalker, Raam.
Female Given Names: Oasis, Sandrose, Breath, Goldflower, Sweetwater, Raincaller, Nibenay.
- +2 Strength, -2 Intelligence: Half-giants are tough and strong, but not too bright.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a half-giant has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Half-Giant base land speed is 30 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A half-giant can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Half-Giant (Ex): Half-giants are not subject to spells or effects that affect humanoid only, such as charm person or dominate person.
- Powerful Build (Ex): The physical stature of half-giant lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a half-giant is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during a grapple, bull rush attempt, and trip attempts), the half-giant is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A half-giant is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A half-giant can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
- Weapon and Armor Proficiency (Ex): A half-giant is automatically proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light and medium armor, and shields
- Automatic Languages: Common
- Bonus Languages: Draconic, Giant, Gnoll, Ignan.
- Favored Class: Fighter
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|30 years years||+3d6||+2d6||+4d6|
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|60 years years||80 years years||120 years years||+4d% years years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||6'4"||+2d12||220 lb. lb.||× (2d6) lb.|
|Female||6'1"||+2d12||180 lb.||× (2d6) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Fighter +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Strength + and -2 Intelligence +|
|Summary||When the half-giants revolted against their slavers not all that survived were gifted with mental prowess. As such some half-giant offspring don't inherit their ancestors psychic gifts. +|
|Title||Half-Giant, Non-Psyonic +|