Hamelin Rat (3.5e Monster)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
|Hit Dice:||10d6+20 (55 hp)|
|Speed:||30 ft, climb 30 ft, swim 30 ft|
|Armor Class:||21 (+4 dex, +6 luck, +1 size), touch 21, flat-footed 11|
|Attack:||Bite +10 melee (1d4-1 plus disease, 20/x2)|
|Full Attack:||Bite +10 melee (1d4-1 plus disease, 20/x2)|
|Space/Reach:||5 ft/5 ft|
|Special Attacks:||Enrapturing Song, Jitterbug Disease (DC 17), Spell-Like Abilities|
|Special Qualities:||Dancing Defense, DR 10/cold iron, Ethereal Escape, Immune to Exhaustion/Fatigue/Sleep, Low-Light Vision, Resist Sonic 10|
|Saves:||Fort +7, Ref +11, Will +8|
|Abilities:||Str 8, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 23|
|Skills:||Balance +18, Bluff +13, Climb +12, Concentration +15, Hide +18, Listen +8, Move Silently +14, Perform (Dance) +19, Perform (Wind) +19, Spot +8, Swim +12, Tumble +17|
|Feats:||Weapon FinesseB, Improved Initiative, Run, Great Fortitude, Music of the Gods-CE|
|Organization:||Solitary, Pair, or Troupe (3-5)|
|Alignment:||Usually Any Chaotic|
|Advancement:||By character class|
This rat of unusual size is wearing a jaunty pointed cap, a colorful cap, puffy sleeves, and carrying a flute. How charming, watch it sway and dance, play and prance, come alone and some with friends, come to the place where the dance never ends!
Tales of a bard who charmed vermin out of a town (followed by the children when his debt was unpaid) may be myth and legend, but the act itself reeks of fey influence. Perhaps as a result of, or in mockery of, the legend were born the hamelin rat who dresses themselves as a singing, dancing, flute wielding musician whose music causes others to prance behind them in song. Though cute and charming, these rats are dangerous as they can lead entire villages to ruin in a fit of spite and malice, and their music supports anyone who they would call ally. And they are notoriously difficult to pin down for good.
They are about the size of a halfling and wear patchwork random colorful clothing befitting a bard. Most use flutes, but some find alternative instruments to specialize in. It is said they are tireless and will lead jaunty dances which start off gleeful and turn into torture as the dancing never ends. Hamelin rats speak Common and Sylvan.
Hamelin rats do best around allies, buffing their friends and dancing about while debuffing the enemy with their songs and spells and escaping punishment with ethereal escape. If left alone they are liable to flee, with a bite too weak to rely on except in emergencies.
Enrapturing Song (Su): Hamelin rats possess a special form of bardic music at will from which they may work their craft. Starting a song is a standard action, but continuing a song can be made as part of any other standard or move action. However while doing so the dancing which results cuts the hamelin rat's movement speeds in half. Each round they can choose a new effect to apply, weaving it into part of the song. Penalties or bonuses from all songs persist for as long as the initial song lasts or as listed below, so it is in the hamelin rat's interest to spend many rounds weaving as many effects as they can into the same song. Unless otherwise stated, songs affect all creatures within 90 ft who can see or hear the hamelin rat. The DC for all effects is DC 21 and is Charisma based.
- Dance of the Rat: This dance only applies to a victim fatigued or exhausted by weakness of the body or weakness of the mind. A single target in range must make a Fortitude save or be briefly transformed into a rat swarm who will turn on the nearest creature except for other rats (including the hamelin rat). It has all the statistics of a normal rat swarm, but the original creature's hp, HD, skills, BAB, and saves, and deals swarm damage of a creature of the original's HD. This lasts until they take enough damage to disband, the song stops playing, or they leave the area of effect. This is a polymorph and a mind-affecting compulsion effect.
- Followers Dance: This dance only applies to a victim of forever dance. Up to three creatures who fail a Will save within 15 ft of each other are compelled to follow the hamelin rat and stay within range. They may not attack the hamelin rat, but are otherwise not restricted with other actions or prevented from attacking the hamelin rat's allies or defending themselves. This is a mind affecting compulsion effect. This lasts until the song stops playing or they leave the area of effect. Allies can attempt to shake them out of it with a standard action in melee range.
- Forever Dance: All opponents within 60 ft who fail a Will save begin to dance, cutting their movement speeds in half. This lasts until the song stops playing or they leave the area of effect.
- Inspire Courage: All allies are affected by inspire courage as a bard of its level, granting a +1 morale bonus to attack, damage, and saves against charm or fear.
- Invigorate Allies: All allies benefit from fast healing 1. This lasts until the song stops playing or they leave the area of effect.
- Weakness of the Body: One opponent in range must make a Fortitude save or be rendered fatigued (or exhausted if already fatigued). This lasts as long as the song does, or until they leave the area of effect.
- Weakness of the Mind: One opponent in range must make a Will save or suffer from a mental fatigued (or exhausted if already fatigued). Instead of afflicting Strength and Dexterity, the penalties are to Intelligence and Wisdom, and creatures cannot attempt actions that take more than a full round to complete instead of running or charging. This lasts as long as the song does, or until they leave the area of effect. Immunity to fatigue/exhaustion applies to mental fatigue.
Ethereal Escape (Su): Hamelin rats are difficult to pin down. Not only is their damage reduction impressive, but when struck for at least 10 points of damage (after reductions) from a single attack they may automatically shift into ethereal state to avoid further attacks. They remain invisible and ethereal until the start of their next turn and can move, but cannot pass through walls as a normal ethereal creature can. They can force themselves ethereal intentionally as a 1 round action, but they lose it after they complete any movement.
Jitterbug Disease (Ex): Fortitude DC 17, incubation time 1 hour. The victim begins to dance uncontrollably, falling under the effects of an unaugmented jitterbug until the disease is cured. Getting rest is difficult with a DC 17 Will save to attempt to rest intentionally. New saving throws may be made each hour, and a successful save suppresses the effect for 1 round. On the second consecutive save, the disease is cured. This is a supernatural disease. The save DC is Constitution based.
Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): At will-animate rope, ghost sound (DC 16), lullaby (DC 16), summon instrument, ventriloquism (DC 17); 3/day-charm person (DC 17), hypnotism (DC 17), summon nature's ally I; 1/day-hold person (DC 18), knock, mirror image, sculpt sound (DC 19), sleep (DC 17), summon nature's ally III. Caster level 10th, the save DC is Charisma based.
Skills: Hamelin rats have a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks, and a +8 racial bonus on Balance, Climb, and Swim checks. A hamelin rat can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened. A hamelin rat uses its Dexterity modifier instead of its Strength modifier for Climb and Swim checks. A hamelin rat has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.