The kariviks are a nascent specie of intelligent xenoblooded creature with powerful psionic powers who were uplifted from a race of savage insane creatures. The unknown uplifters gifted the race with potent psionic minds. The uplifting, however, was not completely successful, leaving the race extremely mentally unstable and resulting in them almost going extinct within a year of uplifting. The few who survived managed to keep their population on the low-medium end of viable (a few million individuals). Many karivik become wanderer of the stars, seeking their own fame and destiny while others try to cure the racial insanity that plagues their race.
The uplifted kariviks look like a humanoid creature, unlike the somewhat ape-like feral karivik. Their skin are usually in shade of green or blue and they have hair of varied colors. It is said that the Karivik somehow descend from an experiment made by the Graha, or perhaps their uplifting is related to the Graha.
Kariviks have a short lifespan. Whether this is because of their uplifting or not is unknown. They are more than a little annoyed about their short lifespan and seeking immortality is not an uncommon goal among kariviks.
- -2 Strength, -2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence or +2 Wisdom or +2 Charisma: Karivik are mentally powerful but are frail .
- Humanoid (Psionic, Xenoblooded): Kariviks are xenoblooded creature possession natural psionic abilities.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a karivik has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Karivik base land speed is 30 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A karivik can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Fragmented Mind: Kariviks receive the Split Mind feat as a bonus feat.
- Arid Dweller (Ex): Karivik bodies are used to extremely arid and hot environments. They are always under the effects of endure elements (hot only), take no penalties to movement when moving on desert terrain and halve the penalties for being in a sandstorm. Karivik may go 30 days without drinking before suffering from dehydration.
- Karivik Particularities (Ex): As an alien specie, kariviks have a few particularities granting them minor bonuses.
- Kariviks have flexible bones, allowing them to count as one size category smaller for the purpose of making Escape Artist checks.
- Kariviks can see ultraviolet light, which grant them a +8 bonus on Survival skill checks for tracking as well as allowing them to see things other cannot. They may 'turn off' their ultraviolet vision by closing a transparent eyelid.
- Kariviks have DS 2/cold.
- Naturally Psionic: Kariviks gain 2 bonus power points at 1st level. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a psionic class.
- Racial Insanity: Sadly even with all the uplifted, karivik still suffer from their racial insanity. When placed under intense stress (like combat) there is a 5% chance that they regress into a violent psychosis and become confused for an undetermined amount of time. If they are able to act normally they may end their racial insanity as a standard action and do not risk any regress into insane behavior for 24 hours. Every time a karivik regresses into racial insanity, she acquires one random Minor Psychosis and one random Major Psychosis for 24 hours.
- Telepathy (Su): Kariviks have telepathy out to 5 ft per HD. Their telepathy does not impart knowledge of their language, so speaking to a creature which does not know your language just speaks gibberish to them.
- Automatic Languages: Common
- Bonus Languages: Any non-secret
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
Table: Karivik Random Starting Ages
| 12 years
Table: Karivik Aging Effects
| Middle Age1
|| Maximum Age
| 25 years
|| 40 years
|| 50 years
|| +1d10 years
Table: Karivik Random Height and Weight
|| Base Height
|| Height Modifier
|| Base Weight
|| Weight Modifier
|| 4’ 10”
|| 120 lb.
|| × (2d4) lb.
|| 4’ 5”
|| 85 lb.
|| × (2d4) lb.
Back to Main Page → 3.5e Homebrew → Races
Leziad's Homebrew (4047 Articles)