Lerulean (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Lerulean are ancient humans who, alongside their home Lerulis, were sunk below the waves. Thanks to a magic ritual however they were able to survive and adapt to their new aquatic environment. Lerulean evolved beyond normal humans physiology, but did not fully adapted to their aquatic environment nor will they ever because of the magic used to protect them.
Since they descend from humans leruleans have personality as varied as human, they are however predisposed to certain behavior encouraged by their civilization. Most leruleans are disciplined and obedient but open-minded and freedom-loving, their society encourage charity and teamwork and many lerulean take these principles at heart.
Leruleans descend from the coastal city of Lerulis, they still look very human. Lerulean were divided in a few ethnic groups before their city was sunk, as a result the physical appearance of modern leruleans is very varied. Lerulean are a little bit shorter than humans thanks to the pressure of the deep however their appearance do not vary much from their original appearance because of the powerful magic used to protect them when the city sunk. Among the small physical changes the leruleans have gills and slight aquatic adaptation on their hands and feet. Despite the sun never reaching the sunken city Lerulean are not paler than normal humans, many of them are quite dark skinned as well.
Leruleans entertain good relationship with their aquatic and land-dwelling neighbors, they are however very territorial and heavily dislike when strangers trespass in their city uninvited. They have bad relationship with aboleth and sahagins who are constantly threatening the city.
Leruleans have a special relationship with the alikos, who were ancient enemies from before Lerulis was sunk. Even under the waves both people fought until the leruleans finally conquered them and annexed them to their civilization. Many leruleans see themselves as better than the alikos, and treat them as second-class citizen and a conquered people who should know their place. Many wise kings of Lerulis however treated the alikos as equals and lifted many of the restrictions forced on them.
As descendant of humans, Leruleans do not tend toward a particular alignment by nature. Their society is however fairly strict and encourage lawful good behavior, as a result chaotic leruleans are fairly uncommon while evil leruleans are rare.
The leruleans are a underwater people, living under the waves of a great ocean in their city Lerulis. The city of Lerulis is great, a former metropolis when it was above the waves. The city is never touched by sunlight as a result the citizen had to build many artificial light sources since they lack the ability to see in the dark. As a result the city is covered in colorful light, making it beauty stand out from of the darkest place in the world. Lerulis is guarded by their sovereign (always a powerful former adventurer) and two eternal scyllas who were defeated but spared by leruleans's first sovereign and finally by Yunqsha, an revered ancient qilung dragon who act both as a guardian and as an adviser. Yunqsha grew fond of the city over time as the resident kept honoring him with gifts and celebration, he is a deeply respected icon of the city.
During it time above the waves, Lerulis was known for it religious freedom allowing citizen to worship any non-evil God openly. When it was sunk however many of the citizen blamed the Gods, as a result the great majority of leruleans do not worship any deities. Many pay respect to deities of the sea and even some worship Yunqsha as a God.
Leruleans overwhelmingly speak aquan, having lost their own language over the centuries and pretty all their ancient writing evaporating when the city sunk.
Lerulean names are usually in aquan and bear some kind of resemblance to old human names used in the city when it was on the surface.
- +2 to any attribute, -2 to any attribute: Leruleans are extremely versatile people.
- Humanoid (Aquatic, Human): Leruleans are humans who mostly adapted to underwater environment.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a lerulean has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Lerulean base land speed is 30 feet. Swim speed of 30 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A lerulean can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Leruleans have a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. They can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. Leruleans can use the run action while swimming, provided they swim in a straight line.
- Aquatic Fighting Style: Leruleans are adept with fighting with weapons useful underwater, they treat net and neptunain trident as martial weapons.
- Amphibious (Ex): Leruleans can breath both air and water.
- Natural Lightmage: Leruleans are expert at using [light] spells and effects. They gain a +1 bonus on caster level and DC when casting a spell, spell-like ability (or manifesting a power or psi-like ability) or supernatural ability with the [light] descriptor. Additionally they may cast dancing lights and light as spell-like ability at will.
- Ritual of Prasis: The desperate ritual used to make the citizen of Lerulis survive the cataclysm that sunk their home also made it impossible to truly adapt to the depth, this has allowed the lerulean to keep their human form even in this extremely nonhuman environment. As a side effect the ritual protect against transmutation magic, granting a +2 bonus on saving throws against form-changing transmutation effect (such as polymorph but not say disintegrate). They must always attempt a saving throw against form changing effect, even if used by themselves or a friendly caster.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Aquan
- Bonus Languages: Any non-secret
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|35 years||53 years||70 years||+2d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4’ 7”||+2d10||115 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||4’ 3”||+2d10||80 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Any +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Any Attribute + and -2 Any Attribute +|
|Subtype||Aquatic, Human +|
|Summary||Lerulean are ancient humans who, alongside their home Lerulis, were sunk below the waves. Thanks to a magic ritual however they were able to survive and adapt to their new aquatic environment. +|