Master Necromancer (3.5e Prestige Class)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Necromancers are not specialist wizards anymore... They are specially dedicated spellcasters. Necromancers are masters of the black art of undeath and adept of the special discipline of blood and bone magics. Some are granted this "gift" by a careful master or even by the lord of death himself. Not matter their origin their art is vile and lifeless, mostly hated by anyone.
Alignment: Any non-Good, no good person would venture in such a vile art.
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 10 ranks, Knowledge (Religion) 10 ranks, Spellcraft 10 ranks.
Spells: Knowledge of at least 7 Necromancy spells. You must have spells from at least 4 different levels not including 0-level.
Special: Must have been the apprentice of a necromancer for about 1 year or worship Khrone.
|Special||Spells per Day/Spells Known|
|1st||+0||+0||+0||+2||Rebuke Undead, Bone Magic, Black Art (1 Charge)||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|2nd||+1||+0||+0||+3||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|3rd||+1||+0||+0||+3||Blood Magic, Black Art (2 Charges), Necromantic Lore||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|4th||+2||+1||+1||+4||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|5th||+2||+1||+1||+4||Necromantic Surge, Black Art (3 Charges)||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|6th||+3||+1||+1||+5||Necromantic Lore||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|7th||+ 3||+2||+2||+5||Black Art (4 Charge), Undead Mastery||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|8th||+4||+2||+2||+6||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|9th||+4||+2||+2||+6||Black Art (5 Charge), Necromantic Lore||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|10th||+5||+3||+3||+7||Black Art Mastery, Undeath||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|Class Skills 2 + Int modifier per level)|
Knowledge (taken separately), Craft (Alchemy), Spellcraft
All the following are class features of the Master Necromancer:
Rebuke Undead (Su): When a Necromancer take his first level , he gains the supernatural ability to rebuke undead. She may use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + his Wisdom modifier. He turns undead as a cleric of two levels lower would.
Bone Magic (Su):Necromancer may draw the remaining energy from the remnant of a creature (bone, ash etc.) to a number equal to his Master Necromancer level per day. He may choose to
- Restore his spell per Day number: The necromancer can restore a level worth of spells by 2 HD of the former creature, a 1 Hd creature restore only 0 spells. A 9 level creature can restore 4 level worth of spells, one level 4 spell slot or four level one slots.
- Restore his black Art charges: For each 5 HD of the former creature, the necromancer can restore one charge.
- Empower his spell: For each 5 Hd of the former creature, the necromancer can add +1 to his caster level for 24 hours, the bonuses stack to a maximum of +5.
Th incantation necessary take a full round and the remnant can never be farther than 5ft from the necromancer. However the ability was used, the remnant cannot be used ever again, either by Bone magic or by any other ability that affects corpses (Animate Dead, Create Undead, etc.).
- The Necromancer cannot use a fresh corpse, the remnant must have been dead for at least a year.
- The Necromancer cannot take energy from the remnant of a creature that had sacred burial (saint, kings, etc.).
Black Art (Su): Master Necromancer are master of necromantic magic, also called the black art. A spell cast with Black Art doesn't need any material components, but other spell requirement must be respected. For example, the Soul Bind black art creates his own gem made of pure dark magic. The charges are determined by the level of the Master Necromancer (see The Master Necromancer Table).
|Finger of Death||3|
|Create Greater Undead||4|
Black Art Mastery: At level 10 the necromancer can add his wisdom modifier to his number of charges.
Blood Magic (Su): The necromancer is able to draw power from blood in order to restore his magical ability. He can use this ability at will, he can use it:
- On himself: He must sacrifice 10hp per Spell level he want to restore, 0 spell level cannot be restored that way. So a 1st level spell slot would cost 10 hp and 9th would cost him 90 hp. An emergency power indeed.
- On a willing ally: As above but on a willing creature (charmed and dominated creatures do not count as willing, see unwilling).
- On an Unwilling creature: Same as above, but the necromancer must commit all the damage through a single melee attack, after which the necromancer must succeed on a grapple check and begin uttering the incantation. If he manages to hold the subject until the end of the incantation (a full round), the subject is granted a will save (DC15 + The Necromancer's level (HD)) to avoid the effect. If all the condition are fulfilled the necromancer is granted his power.
Necromantic Lore: The necromancer may add a single spell from the necromancy school to his spells known (this ability do not grant an extra spell slot).
Necromantic Surge (Su): Once per day the necromancer can unleash a massive amount of negative energy. The lightning-like blast deals the necromancer's level(HD)d8 + Necromancer wisdom modifier (max 20d8) of negative energy damage (thus heal undead), but the arc hits many creature. Basically it ignores the caster (except if stated otherwise) but not the caster's allies, the blast prioritizes enemies. Each time an enemy is struck subtract its HD from the number of damage dice (If a 20d8 blast hits a level 18 creature, the next creature will take only 2d8 damage). If the blast hits any undead along the line, the spell ends. The blast's max range is 30ft (from each creature) a creature way from 30ft +1 from the surge current victim is ignored).
Undead Mastery: For the purpose of summoning undead, the necromancer is considered 2 levels higher. (+2 caster level)
Undeath: Once the necromancer reaches level 10, he may turn into an undead creature due to exposure to negative energy. His type changes to undead, but he still retains his intelligence score. The changes to the necromancer are listed below:
- Stop ageing, remove penalties from ageing.
- 12-sided Hit Dice.
- No Constitution score.
- Darkvision out to 60 feet.
- Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
- Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
- Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.
- Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
- Uses its Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.
- Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
- Not affected by the raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. "These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead" but, the necromancer will turn back into an undead 3 days after being resurrected.
- Does not need to breathe, eat, or sleep.
- This transformation decreases the DC for the Ritual Lichdom by 4.
The necromancer appearance doesn't change much, respect the player preference for that matter. However it is almost sure that at least 2 of the trait listed below appear on the necromancer.
- Skin become paler
- Eyes pupils become red
- Hair become white
- Take the characteristic of an older person.
- Lost of hair
- Eye become white (rare)
- Become Gaunt
- Smell bad
The Epic Master Necromancer
|12th||Black Art (6 Charges)|
|14th||Black Art (7 Charges)|
|16th||Black Art (8 Charges)|
|18th||Black Art (9 Charges)|
|20th||Black Art (10 Charges)|
Skill Points Per Level
All the following are class features of the Epic Master Necromancer
Black Art: Epic Necromancer get one extra charge of their Black Art class feature each 2 Epic Necromancer level.