Nanduwary (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Long-legged, groundbound bird people who run very fast. Beware the coyote!
Quick-thinking, decisive and with a strong and affirming personality, nanduwaries are direct and sober in their speech, choosing to talk only when really necessary. They prefer communication by physical expression, predominantly running. They appreciate strongness and fitness, but are not disdainful of more intellectual exercises.
Nanduwaries are tall, long-legged bird-like humanoids, with large and long beaks whose higher tip descends sligthly downwards, not far from that of a shoebill. They have a muscular physique, with short but thick feathers that remain adherent to the body, except a sort of topknot on the head, on the elbows and on the tail. They have prehensile hands that resemble small wings, unfit for flying. Instead they have very long legs and clawed feet, developed for running. Their plumage is often bright blue, but other similarly bright colors are common such as red, yellow, orange, green and pink. Sometimes more dull colors are possible like cream, grey, brown and light brown and black.
Nanduwaries are generally pleasant people, but they have really strong and negative opinions about races that are too slow. As such they don't treat with great respect dwarves and small races, at least not at first sight. They are strongly hostile towards gnolls, which often try to catch and eat them. These hatred may extend toward other canine races.
Usually neutral, nanduwaries can really be of any alignment, with particular tendencies for chaotic neutral and lawful neutral.
They live almost exclusively on flatlands, both temperate and hot, more rarely in colder environments. They really dislike mountains and uneven grounds and the sea, and don't settle in such areas. Some nanduwaries are nomadic, keeping the tradition of old, and live a tribalistic life (though they are not hidebound and enjoy technological and cultural advacement as any other race), others instead have founded more stable communities, still small if compared to other races. A lot of nanduwaries have integrated in the social fabric of welcoming communities and live alongside other races.
Nanduwaries are not religious culturally, worship is too slow for such creatures, but individuals may adopt the spirituality that fits them the best.
Common and a dialect of Terran, which is their racial language. Some learn other languages through their travels.
Their names are in Terran, made up of just few syllables, with terms the refer to quickness and running. These names are often repeated in Common as some kind of nickname, usually used for other races.
- +2 Constitution, -2 Wisdom: Strong and made to endure fatigue, nanduwaries are too quick in their actions to be thoughtful.
- Humanoid (Anthro): They are humanoid birds.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a nanduwary has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Nanduwary base land speed is 40 feet.
- Clawed Feet: Nanduwaries can use their feet as weapons. They have a claw strike with the statistics presented below. They lose the use of this feral strike, the benefits of the Running Specialist and the Trample Run traits if they wear any footwear, unless the footwear is monstrous in nature, costing +50% of the standard price, allowing them to touch the ground directly and freely move the feet. Other foot ornaments, such as anklets, don't trigger this penalty.
- Long-Legged: In combat, a nanduwary can make only 10 feet (3 meters) steps, insted of the normal 5 feet steps.
- Recovery Burst (Ex): Once per hour, nanduwaries can use a move action to retry a Fortitude save against fatigue or exhaustion (the same they failed or a DC of 20) to negate their fatigued condition for one minute per Constitution modifier or exhausted condition for one round per Constitution modifier. At the end of the effect a fatigued nanduwary is exhausted, while an exhausted one is staggered for one minute, then exhausted again.
- Runner: Nanduwaries gain the Mobility, Run and Swift Dodge feats for free, even if they don't meet the requirements. They also gain a +2 bonus to resist fatigue due to strenous activities and count as having +2 Dexterity for the purpose of meeting requirements.
- Running Specialist: Each nanduwary trains for diverse kind of running. Choose one of the following:
- Trample Run: When running over a target, such as with the Overrun action, nanduwaries can make one free attack with their highest bonus with their clawed feet. This attack can't be done if the running action is made from a mount.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Terran
- Bonus Languages: Any, except for secret ones
- Favored Class: Scout or Skipper
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
1. See Damage Increases by Size to calculate the damage for a weapon larger than Medium or smaller than Small.
2. Weight figures are for Medium weapons. A Small weapon weighs half as much, and a Large weapon weighs twice as much.
3. When two types are given, the weapon is both types if the entry specifies "and", either type (player's choice at time of attack) if the entry specifies "or", or each end of the double weapon is a different type if the entry specifies "/".
4. The hp value given is for Medium armor, weapons, and shields. Divide by 2 for each size category of the item smaller than Medium, or multiply it by 2 for each size category larger than Medium.
|the bluez in the dungeonv|
|Author||the bluez in the dungeon +|
|Cost||— gp +|
|Damage Type||Piercing +|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Scout + and Skipper +|
|Hit Points||10 +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Constitution + and -2 Wisdom +|
|Size||Medium + and One-Handed +|
|Summary||Long-legged, groundbound bird people who run very fast. Beware the coyote! +|