Phoenix Ash (5e Campaign Setting)/Character Creation
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
|The Phoenix Ash rules are dependant on the Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition System Reference Document (SRD-OGL v5.1), or SRD5. The following rules will parallel these rules and note differences between them.|
Use the following steps to create a character for Phoenix Ash
- . Choose a Character Type and Subtype. This replaces the Choose a Race and Choose a Class section of the SRD5.
- . Determine your character size and hit die type.
- . Determine ability scores.
- . Choose mutations or modifications.
- . Choose a background.
- . Choose skills.
- . Provide character motivation.
- . Choose starting equipment.
At select steps of character creation, we will include an example of those steps, with a player named Sue building her humanoid character, Kalor.
The proficiency bonus is +2 for a 1st level character. It provides a bonus to a number of actions, checks, and situations that your character may find itself in. Such as:
- Attack rolls using a weapon you are proficient with.
- Attack rolls using a mutation.
- Ability checks for a skill that you are proficient with.
- Ability checks using a tool that you are proficient with.
- Saving throws you are proficient with.
- Saving throw DCs for a mutation effect of yours.
The character type and background determine the weapons, saving throws, skills, and tools that it is proficient with. As it advances levels, the proficiency bonus will increase and will have the opportunity to gain additional proficiencies.
Level and Experience Points
Experience points (xp) is an artificial marker of life experience. As a character progresses in its life and adventures, it learns how better to avoid danger and take advantage of its best aspects.
Similarly, level is is an artificial division or checkpoint on this journey. Often, a character will gain hit points (see below) and proficiency when it gains a level.
Characters usually start at level 1 with 0 xp, and the GM awards xp for good role playing, achievements, and advancing the story.
Kalor is starting at 1st level (0 xp), so her proficiency bonus is +2. Sue confers with her GM and they decide that Kalor is medium size, so will start with a d8 for her hit dice and will have 8 hit points (plus any Constitution bonus).