Proteus MX-440 Modular Exo-Suit (3.5e Monster)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
|Size/Type:||Large Construct (Bot, Vehicle)|
|Hit Dice:||4d10+30 (52 hp)|
|Speed:||30 ft. (can't run)|
|Armor Class:||22 (-1 size, -2 Dex, +15 natural), touch 7, flat-footed 22|
|Attack:||Slam +11 melee (2d6+9)|
|Full Attack:||Slam +11 melee (2d6+9)|
|Space/Reach:||10 ft./10 ft.|
|Special Qualities:||Construct traits, damage reduction 5/adamantine|
|Saves:||Fort +1, Ref -1, Will +1|
|Abilities:||Str 28, Dex 6, Con —, Int —, Wis —, Cha —|
A magitek workhorse to build a better future.
The Proteus MX-440 Modular Exo-Suit, often simply called 'MX-440s' or simply 'Suits', are steadily becoming a ubiquitous sight in factories and loading sites across the technologically advanced societies of the prime material. Standing roughly 12 feet tall and weighing in at 2,500 pounds, they are bipedal exoskeletons of solid construction with a cockpit and canopy that fits one person. When fully strapped into the Proteus's limb actuators, the Exo-Suit mimics its pilot's movement, right down to the fingers. The actuation is fairly precise, but the MX-440 requires extensive training and coordination to master.
The standard MX-440 is fitted with a default body and protective canopy that guards against potential workfloor dangers and light atmospherical hazards.
The MX-440 was originally meant for loading and unloading, but its functionality has been expanded for a multitude of functions with the help of purchasable modules.
The MX-440 requires a pilot to function. It cannot perform automated tasks.
The MX-440 requires at least one rank in the Pilot skill to properly use. Furthermore, the limb actuators require a good amount of physical strength to use optimally. A standard MX-440 has a Strength requirement of 15. Any creature with a lower Strength score can still use the MX-440, but can only make it walk up to half speed and lift no more than light loads.
The MX-440 has an on board power supply that lasts up to 8 hours. It may be recharged on any non-proprietary charging dock, present at all industrial sites where these Suits are used and many places where magical or electrical energy is prevalent. The MX-440 grants the protection of endure elements to its pilot.
Carrying Capacity: A light load for an MX-440 is up to 800 pounds; a medium load, 801-1,600 pounds; and a heavy load, 1,601-2,400 pounds. An MX-440 can push or drag 12,000 pounds.
Modularity: The MX-440's highly standardized frame makes it very modular and easy to customize. A great variety of bodies, equipment modules and attachments for the standard MX-440 are being produced, pushing the MX-440 into other fields of function such as construction, colonization, security, and combat. See the Customization section for more information.
Skills: The MX-440 uses the pilot's skill ranks and mental ability scores, but the suit's physical ability scores. It grants its pilot a +8 bonus to Balance checks made to stay upright. Standing up from a prone state while piloting an MX-440 is a full-round action.
The MX-440 frame is constructed from 3,000 pounds of high grade steel and quality construction metals. All assembly components are non-proprietary and readily interchangeable for optimal ease and cost of maintenance. The materials, including on-board power supply, are valued at 1,500 gp. Assembling the MX-440 frame and body requires a DC 25 Craft (engineering) check.
Price 3,000 gp + 3,000 gp for the default body.
Due to its standardized frame and ease of retrofitting, the MX-440 has become highly sought after for its versatility. With a quick maintenance cycle, the suit may be equipped with different equipment, and even the bodywork that covers it can be replaced very quickly in case of damage or repurposing.
Bodies represent the equipped MX-440's ability to withstand damage and protect its pilot from all sorts of hazards. An MX-440 chassis without a body installed is still functional, but loses half of its natural armor bonus and the additional hit points granted by the Construct type.
- Default Body: The standard bodywork that the MX-440 comes with. Requires 15 minutes to install or de-install. Statistics in above block.
- Price +3,000 gp.
- Achilles Body: The Achilles body is a reinforced version of the standard body that is usable for military applications and dangerous environments, providing excellent protection for the pilot. The Achilles body halves any fall damage dealt to the pilot (but not the suit itself).
- Hercules Body: The Hercules body is a top of the line protection for field-work and military applications, providing protection that is superior to the Achilles body. It grants the MX-440 DR 10/adamantine, and halves any fall damage dealt to both the pilot and the suit. The Hercules body is twice as heavy as the base body, but also has twice the carrying capacity. The Hercules body incorporates the functionalities of the Hermes body.
- Atlas Body: The Atlas body turns the MX-440 into a heavy duty combat mech. It grants all the benefits of the Hercules body, except that its DR/adamantine is 15. The body itself is treated as Huge (gaining all associated size bonuses and penalties, including to ability scores), and requires a Strength score of 19 to pilot. The Atlas body also incorporates the functionalities of the Hazmat body.
- Hermes Body: The Hermes body reinforces the canopy and protects the pilot from environmental hazards. It is applicable for work in toxic or hazardous environments. The Hermes body is equipped with atmospheric filters that grant the wearer a +8 circumstance bonus to all saving throws against disease transmitted through air and poison gas. Shutting the filtrage completely renders the cockpit airtight that lets no outside atmosphere in, immunizing completely against airborne threats, with an on-board air supply that lasts up to 6 hours.
- Value +6,000 gp
- Hazmat Body: The Hazmat body provides the utility of a Hermes body, and furthermore also protects against radiation and supernatural forms of poison and disease. A hazmat body reduces the effective dose the pilot is exposed to by 3 stages to a minimum of zero (Extreme becomes Mild, Dangerous becomes Very Mild, etcetera). A hazmat body has increased durability and gives the MX-440 resistance to acid 30.
- Hephaestus Body: The Hephaestus body adds additional functionality for engineering and construction work. It is slightly more durable than the standard body, and has one additional Attachment slot on each arm (two total), but one less Module slot. The Hephaestus body grants a +4 competence bonus to any Craft checks involving engineering.
- +2 HD. Value +9,000 gp.
- Prometheus Body: The Prometheus body is engineered for work in extremely high temperatures, such as highly volcanic terrain and other places where extreme convection occurs. The fire department of technologically advanced nations employ MX-440s equipped with the Prometheus body. Fashioned from a tungsten alloy and layered with ceramic protection, it is half again as heavy and its movement speed decreases by 10 feet. It has the defense capabilities and functionality of the Achilles body and the hazard protection qualities of the Hermes body, with an added resistance to fire 50, and can keep its pilot safe and cooled while working in an environment with atmospheric temperatures of up to 1,000 Kelvin for 6 hours, or up to 2,000 Kelvin for 30 minutes.
Modules are pieces of special equipment that, once integrated within the MX-440's systems, add special functionality to the suit.
- Bulk Ammunition Rig: Provides a big compartment that fits lots of ammunition for on-board weaponry. Required for operational use of projectile weapons. A bulk ammunition module can fit up to 2,000 cartridges, up to 10 fuel canisters, or an equivalent amount of other ammunition.
- Value +2,000 gp (empty); 1 module slot
- Ecology Module: Providing a large oxygen tank and powerful CO2-scrubbers within the back of the MX-440, the ecology module allows the pilot to function for up to 7 days inside of the MX-440 when completely cut off from outside atmosphere. Requires a Hermes body or any body that incorporates the functionalities of the Hermes body.
- Value +3,000 gp; 1 module slot.
- Hazard Prevention Unit: Often added to the working rigs of mining and construction foremen, this module emits a widened zone of OSHA-compliance centered on the MX-440, and also comes with flashing yellow safety lights for improved visibility. The module sounds an alarm when uncontrolled hazardous substances are detected within the area of the zone.
- Value +22,500 gp; 1 module slot.
- Jet Propulsors: Outfits the MX-440 with a series of propulsors that give it the functionality of a jetpack, mainly for use in hazardous and hard to navigate work areas. Includes on-board F.U.E.L. reservoir that can hold 60 ounces. Due to the weight and size of the unit, 3 ounces are drained per minute of use.
- Value +15,000 gp; 1 module slot.
- Perpetual Power Unit: Lines the on-board battery with a refined proteum lattice, constantly drawing a steady influx of energy from the weave and converting it into electrical power. Gives the MX-440 an indefinite power supply.
- Value +45,000 gp; 1 module slot.
- Reservoir: Adds a tank to the back of the MX-440, enabling it to carry gathered resource, fuel, water, or other fluids. The reservoir has a 300 gallon (~1140 liter) capacity, 50 hit points, and hardness 15. This does not add to the MX-440's carrying capacity. The reservoir includes hard suctions for siphoning fluids (liquids/gases) from containers, reservoirs or rivers, and can be manually attached to delivery systems like fire hydrants or large scale fuel or gas tanks. The reservoir is pressure proofed to 300 PSI.
- Value +2,000 gp; 2 module slots.
- Shield Battery: This module attached to the back projects a personal shield around the MX-440 and grants it a +2 deflection bonus to AC that remains when the shield is down. The shield has 5 hit points per HD of the MX-440's equipped body, and recharges 1 hit point per HD per hour (see Shields for more information).
- Value +15,000 gp; 1 module slot.
- Heavy Duty Shield Battery: This heavy shield module projects a personal shield around the MX-440 and grants it a +5 deflection bonus to AC that remains when the shield is down. The shield has 8 hit points per HD of the MX-440's equipped body, a shield hardness of 5, and recharges 1 hit point per HD per hour (see Shields for more information).
- Value +50,000 gp; 2 module slots.
- Solar Array: This large battery supplements the MX-440 basic power supply, giving it a life of 24 hours. Furthermore. The back and the top of the MX-440 becomes lined with heavy duty solar panels that generate 1 hour worth of power per hour while exposed to bright daylight, half that amount under light cloud cover, and none during overcast, (rain)storms or twilight.
- Value +5,000 gp; 1 module slot.
- Suspendium Rig: This module fits the MX-440 with a series of suspendium blocks and low-power propulsors, allowing the unit to hover and fly with a speed of 30 feet and a maneuverability of Poor. This module is powered by two on-board muon-catalyzed fusion cells that allow it to hover for up to 20 hours or fly for up to 5 hours before needing to be replaced.
- Value +65,000 gp; 1 module slot.
Attachments represent special tools, function-dependent equipment, and weaponry added to the MX-440 that allows the pilot to do the job he or she is assigned. These add-ons are usually attached to one or both of the suit's arms.
- Deluge Gun: Adds an aimable water cannon to one of the MX-440's arms. Requires a reservoir to operate. Using the deluge gun expends 10 gallons of water per round. In one round, the deluge gun can extinguish one 5-foot square that is on fire, or project a 15-foot-line of water that can bull rush a creature hit with a +10 modifier.
- Value +500 gp; 1 attachment slot
- Magic-Aided Deluge Gun: Functions like an ordinary deluge gun, but can draws up to 10 gallons of water from the elemental plane of water every round, allaying the need for a reservoir.
- Value +8,500 gp; 1 attachment slot
- Spelunker: Adds mining and drilling equipment, a spectograph and mineral sensors to the MX-440's rig. Grants a +4 Stonecunning bonus to detect vergeances and instabilities and ascertain the security and stability of tunnels (as per the dwarf Racial ability), 20-foot Permeavision to detect density shifts and ore clusters within bedrock and soil (as per omnigoggles), and tools sufficient to dig out a 5-foot cube of stone and other hard minerals in 1 minute.
- Value +15,000 gp; 3 attachment slots.
- Flamer: Adds a flamethrower attachment (base damage 4d8). Can be enhanced like the weapon. Requires bulk ammunition rig to function. Two flamethrower attachments cannot target the same squares; the line of the weapons essentially combine to make a line 10 feet wide. Firing in a cone with two flamer attachments widens the cone to 180 degrees.
- Value equal to base weapon +600 gp; 2 attachment slots.
- Minigun: Adds a minigun attachment (base damage 10d8). Can be enhanced like the weapon. Requires bulk ammunition rig to function. Two minigun attachments cannot target the same squares; the line of the weapons essentially combine to make a line 10 feet wide. Firing in a cone with two minigun attachments widens the cone to 180 degrees.
- Value equal to base weapon +1,000 gp; 2 attachment slots.
- Welding Equipment: Adds the functionality of a Scara-1981 welding arm to one of the MX-440's arms.
- Value +2,000 gp; 1 attachment slot
|Alignment||Always neutral +|
|Challenge Rating||4 +|
|Identifier||3.5e Monster +|
|Level Adjustment||— +|
|Rated By||Eiji-kun + and Wildmage +|
|Rating||Rating Pending +|
|Subtype||Bot + and Vehicle +|
|Title||Proteus MX-440 Modular Exo-Suit +|