Shirrec (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Shirreci (plural of shirrec) are a race made from transmuted humanoid that are changed, with a magical process, into mantis-like creature. They are usually criminal or deprecable members of society that are punished by magical means: their bodies and minds are changed to better accomodate their new lives and tasks.
They are reintroduced into their original society as artisans, artists, consultants, attendants and even higher servants and ministers of nobles and institutions. They are appreciated for their unbound loyalty, reserve and dedition to work, as well as for their incredible manual skills and analytic minds.
Shirrechi are impassible workaholic, that take their tasks very seriously and are indifferent to provocation and distraction. They are collected and calm, but attentive and relentless in the pursue of their objectives. They are not immune to comedy and humor or any emotions coming from artistic works, but they are often visually unresponsive to those, keeping their enjoyment on the inside.
They are easily startled when caught off guard, as they are very observant of their surroundings.
They learn quickly any skill that needs high craftmanship and they are silent and loyal on their place of work. They enjoy simple pleasures, without any excess.
Shirrechi resemble humanoid mantis, with a skin complexion going from light green to dull yellow, to plain brown. Rare are deep green shirrechi, and even rarer are white shirrechi.
Their bodies display small chitinous plaques on elbows, knees, shoulders and on their back. They have an insect-like abdomens, not much prominent, but clearly visible.
They have long and thin legs, similar to those of mantis, with small and soft barbs. Their hands are delicate, with slim and deft fingers. Their body is slender, as it's the neck, with a flat head, sporting two wide and bulging, semi-compound eyes. These are orange, yellow and red in color.
Their most notable, yet hidden, peculiarity are the two talon-like blades, inserted into the lower part of their forearms, that may be quickly extended to function as dangerous weapons.
Females are a bit higher and heavier than males.
Shirrechi were created by humans of the Storm Empire, in Roshar, to repurpose criminals into functioning members of society. They are completely aware of this, but, as they forget their previous life and because of their transformation, they are very receptive to their new condition and do not hold any grudge.
They are respected by everyone, but not so much loved, given their cold disposition and monotone voice. They are usually high rank servants, but still servants.
They are infertile, but, being male and female, they often live together for all their lives, in a relationship-like status. They usually follow the customs of their region, but as their unions are quiet, many combinations are possible.
Usually lawful and neutral (often in combination), as their mind and instruction teach them to be detached and loyal, but any alignment is possible for a shirrec, although extremes are rare.
Shirrechi live mainly in Roshar, in the Storm Empire. They have very few reasons to travel abroad, and those who are, are usually on a mission or lost.
They live in a moderately temperate environment, so they are not adapted to hot or cold climates.
They are not very religious, but respect traditions and rituals without complaints.
Their spirituality is mostly directed towards the self and the inner side, as they engage often in meditation or artistic contemplation in their free time.
They speak the common language of the land, but ninja shirrechi have invented a "language" made by clicks and wirrs, simply called "Clickspeak", that is useful to report simple and rapid messages during missions. There's no written alphabet for Clickspeak and only shirrechi, or similar arthropod-like creatures, usually learn it, because of their particular, insect-like, mouth. Creatures that are not insect-like must spend 2 skill points, instead of 1, to learn this language.
Shirrechi adopt the naming convention of Roshar, with simple names made up by two or three short words (name and surname or an additional name, akin to a nickname or a word denoting some peculiar trait or condition of the person).
- +2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma: Shirrechi are agile, swift and precise in their movements, but as they do not rely on complex social interactions, and their faces are always unreadable, they pass as cold and asocial.
- Humanoid (Anthro): Shirreci do not gain any weapon proficiency nor darkvision due to their type.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, a shirrec has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Shirrec base land speed is 30 feet (9 meters) feet.
- Mantis Claws (Ex): Shirrechi have two hidden barbed blades granting them 2 claw feral strikes, with the stats presented below. They are located along their forearm, and remain hidden until "unsheated". When disclosed, they extend down from the wrist. Usually a shirrec closes its finger in a fist when the blade is visible, sometimes grasping it with its hand. Disclosing the blades is a free action for a shirrec. If a shirrec has the Improved Unarmed Strike feat (or equivalent), its blades count as the unarmed attack (the base damage is still 1d6 of piercing damage). If a shirrec has the unarmed damage progression of a monk, or anything similar, this substitutes its blades' damage. Shirrechi have very thin fingers and delicate hands, not suited for combat. They get over their weakness by learning to use their blades for martial arts. A shirrec may not use any item or weapon while fighting with its blades.
- Quick to Act (Ex): Shirrechi have a +2 bonus to initative checks, which stacks with any other bonus. Given their mantis-like behaviour, shirrechi prefer to strike fast and strike first, and train to become as rapid as possible.
- +4 on Hide checks: They have a natural predisposition to stand completely still.
- +2 on Jump checks: Shirrechi are agile creatures, very lightweight.
- +2 on Spot checks: Their partially compound eyes grant them enhanced vision.
- +2 on Craft, Disable Device and Open Lock checks: Shirrechi are very competent artisans and their nimble fingers are unchalleged in operating small items.
- -2 on Bluff checks: Shirreci are not very sociable and often have a hard time changing their expression.
- -2 on Climb checks: Although their bodies are very light, their hands are not strong enough to efficiently help in climbing.
- -2 on save checks against cold, fire and heat effects: Shirrechi prefer temperate climates to extreme ones.
- -2 on checks to resist being bull rushed and any effect that tries to move them forcibly: Being very lightweight is not beneficial in resisting assaults.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Clickspeak
- Bonus Languages: Any, except Druidic: the shirreci are often highly educated.
- Favored Class: Ninja
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
Rogue is the favorite class (If not in an oriental setting).
1. See Damage Increases by Size to calculate the damage for a weapon larger than Medium or smaller than Small.
2. Weight figures are for Medium weapons. A Small weapon weighs half as much, and a Large weapon weighs twice as much.
3. When two types are given, the weapon is both types if the entry specifies "and", either type (player's choice at time of attack) if the entry specifies "or", or each end of the double weapon is a different type if the entry specifies "/".
4. The hp value given is for Medium armor, weapons, and shields. Divide by 2 for each size category of the item smaller than Medium, or multiply it by 2 for each size category larger than Medium.
- Furtive Assault: Gain reach to attack a flat-footed opponent and possibly grapple it.
- Lethal Accuracy: Add Dexterity to attack rolls and damage against flat-footed opponents.
- Serrated Blades: Slash you enemies whenever you grapple them.
Shirrechi vary a lot their starting age, depending on their past. They learn quickly most careers.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|70 years||90 years||100 years||+1d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5' 5"||+1d6||100 lb.||× (1d4-1) lb.|
|Female||6' 2"||+1d8||120 lb.||× (1d6-2) lb.|
Simple Racial Traits
These are racial traits for use with the simplified races rules.
- Humanoid (Anthro)
- Base land speed of 30 feet.
- Combat Ability - Wrist Blades: You have two blade strike which deal 1d6 of piercing damage and may be drawed as a free action. If you have an improved unarmed strike progression it applies to these weapons if you want to.
- Passive Ability - First Strike: You have a +2 bonus to initiative checks.
- Utility Ability - Skitter Away: If you are missed by one melee attack, you may move up to half your land speed without provoking attacks of opportunity from the attacker. This is a immediate action that you may use once per round, consuming you 5-feet step.
|the bluez in the dungeonv|
- if you do not like it, a shirrec character needs to use a move action to draw them and may need the feat Quick Draw to draw the blades as a free action
|Author||the bluez in the dungeon +|
|Cost||— gp +|
|Damage Type||Piercing +|
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Ninja +|
|Hit Points||10 +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Dexterity + and -2 Charisma +|
|Size||Medium + and Light +|
|Summary||Shirreci (plural of shirrec) are a race ma … |
Shirreci (plural of shirrec) are a race made from transmuted humanoid that are changed, with a magical process, into mantis-like creature. They are usually criminal or deprecable members of society that are punished by magical means: their bodies and minds are changed to better accomodate their new lives and tasks. They are reintroduced into their original society as artisans, artists, consultants, attendants and even higher servants and ministers of nobles and institutions. They are appreciated for their unbound loyalty, reserve and dedition to work, as well as for their incredible manual skills and analytic minds.credible manual skills and analytic minds. +