Silver Elf (3.5e Race)
Rate this article
Discuss this article
Fragile but powerful elves with ties to other planes.
Once hailing from crystalline floating cities on the the Astral plane, the Silver Elves were forced to retreat to the material when the Githyanki decimated their population and took over most of their main cities. They wait in secluded forest enclaves, regaining power and hoping to recruit some of the more populous races to their cause, so that they might retake their cities. They offer knowledge and power in return for pledges to their cause, but find many souls wanting in purity, so their crusade has thus far been unsuccessful.
Most of the time, silver elves spend their time in study, meditation and contemplation, or other quiet but productive activities.
Silver elves are usually around 4 and a half feet tall and weigh around 80 pounds, lithe creatures indeed. As their name suggests, they have silvery complexions, typically with pale, bluish-white or silvery-white skin (Similar to Faerun's Moon Elves) and silvery or bluish hair. Their eyes are striking, vibrant shades, typically of blue, green, violet or yellow.
Silver elves typically view other races with curiosity, though this all-too-often turns to disgust when they learn just how vile some creatures can be at heart. They get along very well with the woodland races - Other elves, Fey like Dryads and Satyrs, creatures like Centaurs, among others.
Typically the Silver Elf leans toward neutrality, thought their sylvan nature leads to many of them being chaotic, so while normal elven culture enjoys mainly Chaotic Good alignment, the Silver Elves lean closer toward Chaotic Neutral.
Silver Elves prefer the quiet, and tend to live deep in the wilderness, deeper than even their cousins dwell. They frequently enjoy misty forests with towering, mossy trees.
Typically Silver Elves worship concepts, rather than actual deities, though for a silver elf, worshiping a god or goddess is just giving a nickname to the concept and value each deity with that portfolio equally. Typically they worship deities of nature, magic, mystery and knowledge. The Silver Elves have their own pantheon, made up of members of their race who have ascended to godhood, found here.
Typically they speak a lilting dialect of combined Sylvan and Elven, but know both languages separately. They've also had to learn Common in order to function properly in the Common world.
Naming traditions among the Silver Elves are mystical and abritrary, and individual names are often very difficult to pronounce.
Male Names: Malyq, Damyrion, Thalaeziir
Female Names: Dalaenii, Mondiirael, Alukiin
Dark Silver Elves
Every once in awhile, a Silver elf is born with inky skin and red eyes, resembling a Drow. This is the equivalent of an albino, and these elves, whether by nature or by reputation in Silver Elf society, typically end up evil. A Dark Silver Elf has 25% immunity to Death effects and takes 25% less damage from negative energy; And can expend 1 or more point(s) of health to cast Darkness as a spell-like ability, caster level equal to the number of HP sacrificed in this way. If a death effect or negative energy effect allows a save for partial or half damage, the Dark Silver Elf instead takes no damage, unaffected by the effect. Dark Silver Elves have a +4 LA, not +2.
- -4 Strength, +4 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +4 Intelligence: Silver elves are agile, the otherworldly grace seen in other elves amplified tenfold in their lithe bodies; And their minds are much sharper than those of their cousins. However, their bodies are simply not as durable, nor, due to their slight stature, as strong as other races.
- Fey (Elf, Native): Within their souls resides a font of power connecting them to the astral plane, awakening their Fey lineage and making them more than mere elves.
- Small: As a Small creature, a silver elf gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –4 size penalty on special attack (bull rushes, grapples, overruns, and trips) checks, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Silver Elf base land speed is 40 feet.
- Darkvision: A silver elf can see in the dark up to 120 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a silver elf can function just fine with no light at all.
- Powerful Build (Ex): The physical stature of Silver Elves lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a Silver Elf is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the elf is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A silver elf is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A silver elf can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
- Scorn Earth (Su): A Silver Elf's feet lift from the ground. From now on, she can float a foot above the ground. Instead of walking she glides along, unconcerned with the hard earth or difficult terrain. While she remains within 1 foot of a flat surface of any solid or liquid, she can take normal actions and make normal attacks, and can move at her normal speed (she can even “run” at four times her normal speed). However, at distances higher than 1 foot above any surface, her speed diminishes to 10 feet per round.While she remains within 1 foot of a surface, she can make melee and ranged attacks normally, but if she moves any higher, she incurs the penalties on melee and ranged attack rolls as if she were the subject of the levitate spell.
- Telekinesis (Su): A Silver Elf's mind is strong enough to manipulate objects. They can manipulate objects of 25 pounds, +5 pounds per caster level, at close (25ft +5ft/2 CL) range, and it can move this weight up to half their own movement speed each round, as long as they maintain concentration, as if concentrating on a spell. This otherwise functions just like the sustained force version of the Telekinesis spell (With a Caster Level equal to the Silver Elf's HD), except as listed here. They can also use the Violent Thrust and Combat Maneuver versions as well, but these are limited to the same weight and range; And use their Caster Level rather than BAB (For the Violent Thrust version), and their Intelligence modifier (as if they were a Wizard) for the ability as a whole. This racial ability counts as Telekinesis as a spell-like ability for the purposes of the Master of the Unseen Hand prestige class.
- Cordless (Su): While on the Astral plane, a Silver Elf doesn't possess a silver cord, as most creatures do. Instead, the elf acts in most ways as a native to that plane, at least while on that plane.
- Elven Keen Senses (Ex): Much like their cousins, Silver Elves gain a +2 racial bonus on Search, Spot and Listen checks, and may make a search check when within 5 feet of a hidden door as if they were actively searching for it.
- Weapon Familiarity (Ex): Due to their secluded and specialized training, Silver Elves don't use the same weapons others do. Thus, they treat the Elven Thinblade, Elven Lightblade, Elven Courtblade, bastard sword, double-bladed sword and double scimitar as martial weapons, and all axes, hammers, maces and flails as exotic weapons. However, they gain no racial proficiences, unlike other elves.
- Light Blindness (Ex): Like Drow, living in a dark environment has made Silver Elves vulnerable to sudden bright light. Silver Elves abruptly exposed to light are blinded for one round and dazzled as long as they remain within the area of the light thereafter.
- Astral Shield (Su): Out of necessity, Silver Elves have learned to turn their telekinesis into a shield, allowing them to project an orb of force (Usually silvery-violet in color and resembling Faerie Fire) around themselves. This shield has 10 points of HP, +1 per HD of the silver elf, and grants +1 Deflection bonus to armor class per 3 HD (Max bonus +5). It can absorb any sort of damage except that caused by poison, disease and natural processes such as starvation, dehydration, suffocation, and the like; As a Force effect, incorporeal creatures cannot bypass it as they do normal armor. The shield grants Spell Resistance against Force spells and effects (Such as Magic Missile) equal to 10, +1 per HD of the silver elf; When it is affected by such a spell or effect, subtract the effective spell level from the shield's remaining HP, whether it resisted the spell or not. Unlike other shields, it confers no immunity to sneak attacks or critical hits. The shield can be activated as a swift or immediate action and lasts until destroyed (However, the Silver Elf's Telekinesis cannot be employed while it is in existence); Once destroyed, it takes 1 minute to recharge before it can be used again. This racial trait grants access to feats which improve the shield's effectiveness.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Elven and Sylvan
- Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Auran, Aquan, Celestial, Draconic, Ignan, Infernal, Terran.
- Favored Class: Wizard or Soulbinder Shaman
- Level Adjustment: +2
- Effective Character Level: 3
|+/- 1d10 lbs.
|+/- 1d10 lbs.
|Effective Character Level
|Wizard + and Soulbinder Shaman +
|3.5e Race +
|Racial Ability Adjustments
|-4 Strength +, +4 Dexterity +, -2 Constitution + and +4 Intelligence +
|Elf, Native +
|Fragile but powerful elves with ties to other planes. +
|Silver Elf +