Unelven Drider (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Spiderlike beings with some human-like features who call themselves driders, but are not actually drow cursed into spiderlike forms; they're just simply spider people.
Unelven Driders are an odd bunch in that, despite their intelligence, they are just as capable as being savage like wild animals. In general, it is the smaller species types, like Black Widows, that tend to act more like animals, whereas larger ones, like Tarantulas, have a tendency to act more human-like. Of course, this does not mean that one species can be viewed as good or bad, as it is common to find outliers in these groups.
The Unelven Drider varies drastically depending on subtype, but this generally does not have much of an effect on their abilities. They are generally small enough to fit in one's hand, but tend to be surprisingly heavy. The lower body is a spider-like form, covered in a hard exoskeleton, with its eight legs ending in round nubs. The major physical oddity about them is the human body sticking out where the head of a spider would be. It can bend forward about 90 degrees, and upon close inspection, one can see its endoskeleton emerge from its back to link to the lower body's exoskeleton. Clothing-wise, they often use their own silk for sewing their own outfits, a trait learned from observing humans long ago. In fact, Unelven Driders often wear that which was just in style in the human world, though they always keep their long black boots and flattened hats.
Unelven Driders have bad relations with almost every known race except for normal Driders. Many races just don't want to deal with them given their threatening nature and appearances. There are cases of Uneleven Driders integrating with other societies as merchants, but these are few and far between.
As their lifestyle focuses more on survival than anything, they are often Neutral, though it should be said that they aren't prone to attacking if it won't help them.
Unelven Driders prefer places like Forests, Grasslands, and generally anywhere you can find a spider. They've copied their city building from humans, building in almost the same way, but they are easily distinguishable by their size, and for being put together with spider silk.
Unelven Driders seem to worship a deity of their own creation — a goddess of both hunting and craftsmanship, being both a kind and ferocious mother figure.
Uneleven Driders only know how to speak Common, as they are not actually Drow.
Unelven Driders are named at birth.
- +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -4 Intelligence: Unelven driders are strong and fast, but have bestial thought processes.
- Monstrous Humanoid (Spider): The spider-like body and small size of an unelven drider makes it quite different from other humanoids.
- Diminutive: As a Diminutive creature, an unelven drider gains a +4 size bonus to Armor Class, a +4 size bonus on attack rolls, a –12 size penalty on special attack (bull rushes, grapples, overruns, and trips) checks, and a +12 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are one-quarter of those of a Medium character. Furthermore, as a diminutive creature, an unelven drider has a default space of 1 foot and 0 feet of reach.
- Unelven Drider base land speed is 30 feet. 30 ft. climb. Unelven driders are much quicker than their size would suggest.
- Racial Skills: Unelven driders are amazing climbers. They have a +8 racial bonus to Climb checks, and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened. They have a +4 racial bonus to Use Rope checks involving the use of their own silk. On the other hand, they're rather clumsy in water, and so take a −4 penalty to Swim checks.
- Verminblooded: Unelven driders are arguably more spider than person. They count as both monstrous humanoids and vermin for the purpose of effects that care about a creature's type, and are treated as spiders by effects that specifically interact with spiders.
- Stable: An unelven drider has 8 legs, making it difficult to knock down despite its size. An unelven drider gets a +4 bonus to saves against effects that would render it prone, forcibly adjust its position, or otherwise interfere with its posture.
- Spider's Bite (Ex): An unelven drider has fangs like a spider's, which it can use to deliver a potent bite. An unelven drider has a bite attack as a primary natural weapon, which does 1d6 damage and injects venom on hit. The venom is an injury-administered poison that does 1d4 Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution damage as primary damage and 1d6 Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution damage as secondary damage. The poison works by digesting the victim's innards, and so a creature killed by it has its innards completely liquefied, basically giving the corpse the consistency of a water balloon and preventing raise dead from working on it. Unelven driders feed on the liquefied remains of their victims, and find it difficult to eat normal food.
- Tiny Strength: Despite being diminutive, the Unelven Drider can act as a small-sized creature for weapon use and special attacks (including its Spider's Bite).
- Generate Silk (Ex): An Unelven Drider can create up to three strings of silk per day. Silk can be used for creating ropes, can be used to bring a target closer to the Unelven Drider, or sold as a luxury item.
- Automatic Languages: Common
- Bonus Languages: Elven, Dwarf
- Favored Class: Any
- Level Adjustment: +3
- Effective Character Level: 4
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|28 years||39 years||45 years||+1d6 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||0' 6"||+1d4||20 lb.||× (1d4) lb.|
|Female||0' 7"||+1d4||25 lb.||× (1d4) lb.|
|Author||Luigifan18 + and Prinnytale +|
|Effective Character Level||4 +|
|Favored Class||Any +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||3 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Strength +, +2 Dexterity + and -4 Intelligence +|
|Summary||Spiderlike beings with some human-like features who call themselves driders, but are not actually drow cursed into spiderlike forms; they're just simply spider people. +|
|Title||Unelven Drider +|
|Type||Monstrous Humanoid +|