Anoup (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Jackal headed people of the desert, who have a cultural association with immortality and the dead. Legends say they are the result of a now-dead desert god who battled the forces of evil. In his quest he unlocked the secrets of the world of the dead, which successfully slew the great evil at terrible cost to himself. As he too succumbed to darkness, he split himself up into millions of pieces which became the first anoup. Through the lives of the anoup, people of god shackled to the realm of death and made mortal, this jackal headed deity yet lives on in ever present vigilance against the rise of the great evil.
Stereotypically the anoup are described as being stoic, inquisitive, judgmental, and cunning. They stem from a culture that was theocratic and religious, following a god which was simultaneously a force of good and yet more than willing to dabble in whatever dark forces were needed to succeed. These are stereotypes of course, and an anoup could be anything, but the traditional anoup will oft seek to use the powers of law around them to better themselves, if not their allies.
The anoup are human in form save for their head, which has the appearance of a jackal. Some breeds are bare like humans, while others cover all their body in a thin layer of fur. Both tend towards bronze to pitch black skin, and some shades of ashen gray. Rarely, they come in golden blonde as well. Their eye color varies as humans, and includes bright orange and yellow hues, and they may sometimes have actual hair on their heads longer than any fur, with the manes coming in the same shades as their fur and skin colors do. They are tall, lean, and their ears stand upright and at attention naturally.
The anoup had once built a mighty kingdom and made many wonders in honor and remembrance of the half-dead god that bore them. This kingdom, ancient in these days, is naught but a shadow but the people live on and many take with it great pride in the accomplishments of their ancestors. Some may think them overly prideful when it is not earned. However, few can deny they as a people try to embody this noble past and those which befriend them can often rely on them in troubled times.
The traditional anoup culture is lawful neutral or lawful evil, taking stock in their gods or their government and willing to use many means to achieve a higher goal.
The anoup often come from desert lands, being adapted for hot climates.
The anoup religion was built around their dead creator god, whose real name was lost but is sometimes known as Inpu. In spite of being dead, prayer is still offered to him.
Anoup speak Common and Necril.
Anoup names often break individual syllables up with hyphens.
- +2 Wisdom or +2 Charisma: While little more remarkable than most humans, they have sharp ears and keen sensitivity to the world, and powerful egos and beliefs.
- Humanoid (Anthro): Anoups are human-like creatures with an animalistic head.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, an anoup has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Anoup base land speed is 30 feet.
- Blessing of Inpu: Inpu affects each of his children differently. Choose one of the following blessings below.
- Death Resistance: The anoup automatically stabilizes when dying, and they gain 2 + 1/3 their HD on saving throws against [Death] effects, negative energy damage, energy drain, and the touch attacks of undead. They do not die from negative levels reaching or exceeding their HD, but still suffer its other effects (and may die from the hp loss). If slain by a [Death] effect they may still be raised normally as if it were not a [Death] effect.
- Necro Mastery: The anoup casts necromancy spells at +1 DC, and you can turn or rebuke undead as a cleric of your level. If you can already turn or rebuke undead, you consider yourself two levels higher for this purpose.
- Power of the Dead: The anoup gains the following spell-like abilities at the listed level, each cast 1/day with a caster level equal to their HD. The saving throws are Charisma based. 1 HD-ray of enfeeblement; 4 HD-speak with dead; 8 HD-vampiric touch; 12 HD-animate dead. They also gain deathwatch at will with a duration of Concentration at 1 HD.
- Desert Adapted (Ex): Anoup have endure elements (hot only), and can walk over sand-based difficult terrain without slowing down.
- Iron Stomach (Ex): The anoup are not picky eaters. They can consume spoiled or diseased flesh without risking illness or food poisoning.
- Skills: Anoup have a +2 racial bonus on Knowledge Religion checks, and may make such checks untrained.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Necril
- Bonus Languages: Any (except secret languages)
- Favored Class: Cleric or Dread Necromancer
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|40 years||80 years||120 years||+2d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5' 2"||+2d12||120 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||5' 0"||+2d12||90 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
Back to Main Page → 3.5e Homebrew → Races
|Effective Character Level||1 +|
|Favored Class||Cleric + and Dread Necromancer +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+2 Wisdom or +2 Charisma +|
|Rated By||The bluez in the dungeon +|
|Rating||Rating Pending +|
|Summary||Jackal headed people of the desert, who have a cultural association with immortality and the dead. +|