Drider (5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Painfully transformed through the anger of Lolth, these drow have been cursed to a monstrous form with the bottom half of a spider. While most are trapped within the worst parts of the underground, some have escaped to adventure.
Spider from the waist down
Drider's from the torso up appear to be that of the dark elf they used to be. Their spider torsos tend to be sleek and black, those spiders most closely associated with Lolth. Typically they carry long swords, spears, or nets to kill or capture prey and foe alike. Clothing often seems like an unnecessary luxury to driders, the exceptions being storage bags and sturdy armor.
|Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
Spiteful and bloodthirsty
While Driders kept their personalities and abilities from their time as a drow, they're twisted forms and active shunning from their families leaves them violent and bitter. Ruthless and solitary hunters, they are rarely friendly.
The dark elves violently shun Driders for failing Lolth so badly as to be transformed. They go so far as to threaten other drow with the possibility of transformation. Other races that are familiar with the dark elves, see them as smart but dangerous monsters sent by the evil Drow. There are many who assume that a spider form must be a blessing from the queen of spiders.
The darkness and violence of the abandoned areas of the underdark often become comfortable over time to Driders. In a world of predator and prey, they often have the upper hand with use of their mobility and intelligence.
Driders share their names with dark elves, the main change that occurs when they are transformed is the forbidding of the use of their house or "family" name.
- Creature Type. Humanoid
- Ability Score Increase. Dexterity +2, Constitution +1
- Age. Driders are created from and as adults, compleately infertile. They can live to roughly 750 years old.
- Alignment. While not always evil, driders are more often than not chaotic in alignment as the laws and religions around them condemned them to this form.
- Size. Driders are often 8 feet or taller, much of this height created by the giant spider body, their torso roughly half the height of a full drow. Your size is Large.
- Speed. Your base speed is 30 feet. Your climb speed is 20ft
- Darkvision: Driders are native to the underdark and can see quite well without any light. You can see in dim light within 90ft feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
- Fey Ancestory. The drider has advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put the drider to sleep.
- Spider Climb. The drider can climb difficult surfaces, not including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check.
- Sunlight Sensitivity. While in sunlight, the drider has disadvantage on attack rolls, as well as on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight
- Web Walker. The drider ignores movement restrictions caused by webbing
- Webbing. Once per long rest, the drider can create up to 50ft of silk rope, or 25ft of sticky webbing, which requires a DC 14 Str check to detach from when touched by those without the web walker feature.
- Bloodthirsty. Driders must drink blood at least once every four days or begin making constitution saves against exhaustion.
- Languages. You can speak, read, and write Elvish, Undercommon
|Ability Mods||Dex +2 + and Con +1 +|
|Features||Age +, Alignment +, Size +, Speed +, Darkvision 90ft +, Fey Ancestory +, Spider Climb +, Sunlight Sensitivity +, Web Walker +, Webbing +, Bloodthirsty + and Languages +|
|Identifier||5e Race +|
|Is Race||true +|
|Race Name||Drider (5e Race) +|
|Summary||Drow who have truly found disfavor with Lolth and cursed to a half spider form +|