Eirene (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
Eirene are kind-hearted bird people directly related to harpies. They promote peace and harmony in others, and are sometimes known as Peacebearers or Dovelings. It's uncertain when the eirene and harpy races split, but the two could not be more different. It is the one thing eirene do not try to use diplomacy with, and vice versa.
Known as birds of peace, this is reflected in the attitude of the eirene which embraces comfort and serenity, meditation and reflection, and the elimination or mitigation of suffering. They have taken it upon themselves to show respect to all living things and to give all creatures a chance at rest. Though it implies life, an eirene is not afraid to bring death if death is the greatest peace they can bestow. Fortunately, this is usually only a last resort.
Eirene are friendly and generally cheerful, but have been known to be "bird brained". They are rather dull and occasionally animalistic compared to most civilized life and most of their tools and mechanical wonders comes from trade with outsiders, for they make very little themselves.
Unlike the typical harpy, eirene do not have hands in addition to their wings. They have a humanoid head and torso, but the wings and legs of a bird. They do vary in color but their feathers are commonly white, brown, red, or gold and their skin, eye, and hair tones vary as much as humans. Their hair sometimes is mixed in with hair-like feathers or entirely feathers. Their arms are wings and while they have enough fine manipulation to grasp objects, they cannot wield with them without great difficulty.
A fair majority of eirene are female, or at least it may appear so as the males typically guard the nests from danger. These egg laying beings hide their nests in tall places and cliffsides out of sight from most beings.
Like birds they have hollow bones and thus are very light for their size.
Because of the helpful and benevolent nature of the eirene, they befriend nearly everyone including typically barbaric or savage races. The favor of an eirene is difficult to lose, but once lost it is difficult to return as well. Word spreads quickly amongst clans, and soon a hostile force finds itself exiles from assistance. Thus, wise antagonistic forces choose to avoid angering their benefactors. They usually serve as medics on battlefields, helping both sides and being harassed by neither.
Eirenes are often Lawful Good, and typically any Good. To fall into evil is to become like a harpy, a mark of shame.
Eirene live in places of great height such as redwood forests, great mountains, cliffs, and canyons.
Eirene religion has picked up several good aligned deities from other nations, but remains of their original religion stay firm in the form of The Song. The Song is not a deity so much as a philosophical concept of peace and harmony, and great hymns are sung in The Song's name. It is accredited to several forces in the world, such as the Words of Creation, Truespeach, Power Words, or sometimes even less benevolent forces.
Eirene speak Common and Auran.
Eirene names typically have a "sing song" rhythm to them, often rhyming or words that just flow off the tongue.
- +4 Dexterity, -4 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, +6 Charisma: Beautiful and graceful with keen senses, they are known as "bird brained" and dim witted.
- Monstrous Humanoid: They are creatures half human and half bird.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, an eirene has no special bonuses or penalties due to its size.
- Eirene base land speed is 20 feet. fly 40ft (clumsy)
- Darkvision: An eirene can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and an eirene can function just fine with no light at all.
- Calming Song (Su): In place of a harpy's captivating song, the eirene has a calming tune. It functions identical to calm emotions and may be used at will. The saving throw is Charisma based.
- Flight (Ex): The eirene's flight is sloppy but it quickly matures. At 5 HD, their fly speed becomes 60 ft (poor), and at 7 HD their fly speed becomes 80 ft (average). An eirene is able to hover no matter its maneuverability and does not have a minimum fly speed. Their wings naturally reduce any falling damage to a minimum of 1 die of damage (1d6).
- Harpy Bane (Ex): Eirene gain a +4 attack and +4 dodge bonus against harpies, and they are immune to their captivating song. They are also immune to fascination in general.
- Non-Dexterous (Ex): Eirene grasp items in their wings, but their flight maneuverability drops by one step for holding a one-handed weapon, or two steps for a two-handed weapon. One-handed weapon attacks suffer a -2 penalty to attack, and two-handed weapons suffer a -4 penalty. Finally a eirene cannot fly and attack with a two-handed weapon at the same time. Any skills involving find manipulation with the hands, such as climb checks or sleight of hand, suffers a -2 penalty. In spite of all this they have all the human body slots, wearing gauntlets around the shins and rings on the toes. This does not interfere with the feet slot.
- Racial Hit Dice: An eirene begins with three levels of Monstrous Humanoid, which provide 3d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +3, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +3, Ref +3, and Will +1.
- Racial Skills: An eirene's monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 6 x (4 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Balance, Bluff, Diplomacy, Heal, Listen, Perform, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, and Tumble.
- Racial Feats: An eirene's monstrous humanoid levels give it two feats.
- Skills: Eirene gain a +4 racial bonus on Bluff, Listen, and Perform checks.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Auran
- Bonus Languages: Celestial, Draconic, Elvan, Sylvan
- Favored Class: Bard or Cleric
- Level Adjustment: +0
- Effective Character Level: 3
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|30 years||50 years||70 years||+2d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 5"||+2d6||45 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
|Female||4' 5"||+2d6||40 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
|Effective Character Level||3 +|
|Favored Class||Bard + and Cleric +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||0 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+4 Dexterity +, -4 Intelligence +, +2 Wisdom + and +6 Charisma +|
|Summary||Eirene are kind-hearted bird people directly related to harpies. They promote peace and harmony in others, and are sometimes known as Peacebearers or Dovelings. +|
|Type||Monstrous Humanoid +|