Flumph (3.5e Race)
Rate this article |
Discuss this article
The good-natured flying pancakes may seem like a joke, but even these oddball aberrations can become a hero. Sometimes. Flumphs, called the oiv’hass in their tongue, hail from distant gas giants where it is rumored they grow to great size within the thicker atmospheres.
Flumps are good-natured aliens from another world who travel the stars, going to untainted worlds and acting as guardians against the eldritch nightmares which they know exist deep within the many folds of space. The problem is, they're somehow both hideously terrifying and comically proportioned all at once. The flumphs desire nothing but to help but being self aware of their own appearance leads them to be shy and subtle. They are by and large pacifists, but it is tempered by a chivalrous streak. If faced with a situation failing because the flumph did not help, the flumph will break their role of non-intervention and step in with all the bravery and gusto it can manage. These shy unlikely heroes really want to help, if only they weren't so weird.
Flumphs are used to seeing omens within everything, from the position of birds in the sky to the weather patterns. Though it may seem like superstition, much of this is based in their genetic memory of fighting various elder evils and their signs of their approach. It is a survival technique if anything, and also the reason many find flumphs in the midst of slumber, busy interpreting their dreams as prophetic visions of the future.
Flumphs can best be defined as 3 ft diameter flattened jellyfish with a ring of tentacle arms and a bed of hollow cartilage spines on their undersides. A pair of horizonally slitted goat-like eyes stare upward from their flat body and the edges are ringed with countless puffing air holes which give them the name of "flumph". A mouth, hidden on one side admits the tentacles and spikes, is easily overlooked. Their bodies are soft and rubbery, composed of alien materials, water, and salt.
Flumphs have a strange diet heavy on alkaline materials and salt, a brew which helps determine the nature of the acid they secrete and the noxious fumes they can produce. They eat for nutrition purposes and not so much for taste, and lack a sense of smell as well. They often use their acid to eat through rock to access underground salts, but sometimes eat plants and small animals as well taking joy from the pursuit. Digestion occurs partly outside the stomach, melting the target into sludge which is eaten and partly absorbed by the spikes and tentacles.
Flumph reproduction is a strange event which is usually done on their gas giant homes, and involves the release of spores that build up mass. It is more akin to pollination of a plant then anything animal. These spores either sink into the thicker or watery layers of the planet, or they use a undisclosed ritual involving several flumphs which rocket one after another to throw the last flumph bearing the eggs into space, where they are thrown at supernatural velocities to seed other planets and star systems. When a seed finds a liquid environment it hatches and dozens of young flumphs escape. They appear as an unusual combination of cuttlefish and grub, until they grow large enough to leave their liquid homes and fly away.
Flumph eat and breathe, but do not sleep. They CAN sleep, however, and often do as they find the experience both pleasurable and prophetic.
The flumph have a hard life. They wish nothing more than to protect others from the terrible secrets of space, but realize their own appearance turns most against them and brands them as the very eldritch horrors they seek to prevent. Thus, most take a backseat approach, working in the shadows or by proxy. This combined with their apparently fragile bodies leads them to seem cowardly, but it is pacifism, shyness, and restraint rather than any fear which brings them to this behavior.
Sometimes flumphs manage to establish connections with others. For them, they form strong bonds and always upload the oaths they take with others with pride.
Flumphs are usually lawful good, and often at least some kind of good. Non-good flumphs are sometimes the result of infection from pathogens alien to them, which corrupts their minds.
Because flumphs require salt in their diet, many take up homes in shoreline cliffs where the sea spray sustains and simultaneously obscures their dwelling.
Flumphs do not have any particular religious leanings, but sometimes worship gods of law and good. You could suppose their one religion is an anti-religion against the cults of eldritch horrors beyond time and space.
Flumph speak Common and either Aklo (for Pathfinder) or Aboleth, as they have the correct number of vents to speak the alien tongue.
Flumph names are typically nicknames, for their original names are as alien and incomprehensible as any elder evil summoning ritual.
- +6 Dexterity, +4 Wisdom: Small, nimble, and ever aware of their surroundings the flumphs must be to survive on strange worlds.
- Aberration (Xenoblooded): Flumphs are aberrations from another world.
- Small: As a Small creature, a flumph gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –4 size penalty on special attack (bull rushes, grapples, overruns, and trips) checks, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Flumph base land speed is 5 feet. Hover 20 ft (perfect)
- Darkvision: A flumph can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and a flumph can function just fine with no light at all.
- Acid Injection (Ex): When a flumph strikes an opponent with its spikes, it injects a burning, irritating acid that deals 1d4 points of acid damage immediately and another 1d4 points of acid damage on the round after the attack. The target can end the acid's effects by submerging the wound in water for a round or by being treated with a DC 15 Heal check. A creature that grapples or swallows the flumph takes this acid damage automatically every round it maintains this contact with a living flumph.
- Alien Biology: It goes without saying flumphs are non-humanoid and thus have non-humanoid costs for armor. However, they have all human body slots except for feet, waist, and throat. They have four ring slots, and their tentacles are nimble enough to account for two hands of use for the purposes of wielding objects.
- Flight (Ex): Flumphs start out with a hover speed, but it quickly becomes a fly speed. At first they may hover out to a reach of 5 ft per HD until they hit 6 HD, at which they gain a fly speed of 20 ft (perfect).
- Natural Armor: Flumphs have a +4 natural armor bonus.
- Natural Weapons: Flumphs have a sting attack which deals 1d4 damage plus acid injection.
- Outer Lore (Ex): Flumphs have the bardic lore of a bard of their level, but only for the purposes of eldritch knowledge, ancient texts, and secrets from beyond the stars.
- Stench Spray (Ex): A flumph can spray a 20-foot line of foul- smelling liquid once every 1d4 rounds. All living creatures (except those with the stench special ability) within the area must succeed on a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Con modifier) or be sickened for 5 rounds. Creatures with scent take a -2 penalty on the saving throw. Alternatively, the flumph can concentrate the spray on a single target within 5 feet. To use this version of its stench spray, the flumph must succeed at a ranged touch attack. If the target is hit they must save or become nauseated for 5 rounds, otherwise it is sickened for 5 rounds. The odor from this spray lingers in the area and on all creatures struck for 1d4 hours, and can be detected at a range of 100 feet (creatures with the scent ability can smell it at double this range). Creatures that successfully save cannot be affected by the same creature’s stench for 24 hours. A delay poison or neutralize poison spell removes the effect from the sickened creature. Creatures with immunity to poison are unaffected, and creatures resistant to poison receive their normal bonus on their saving throws.
- Automatic Languages: Common, either Aboleth or Aklo (Pathfinder)
- Bonus Languages: Any (except secret languages)
- Favored Class: Cleric or Paladin
- Level Adjustment: +1
- Effective Character Level: 2
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|40 years||80 years||100 years||+2d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||2' 6" (across)||+2d6||15 lb.||× (1) lb.|
|Female||2' 6" (across)||+2d6||15 lb.||× (1) lb.|
Back to Main Page → 3.5e Homebrew → Races
|Effective Character Level||2 +|
|Favored Class||Cleric + and Paladin +|
|Identifier||3.5e Race +|
|Level Adjustment||1 +|
|Racial Ability Adjustments||+6 Dexterity + and +4 Wisdom +|
|Summary||The good-natured flying pancakes may seem like a joke, but even these oddball aberrations can become a hero. Sometimes. +|